Thread: Is this a phase?

Default Is this a phase?

She licks everything, puts everything in her mouth, sticks her fingers in her mouth and picks in it. It's like she's teething 6 month old again! I caught her licking wooden furniture today. I don't know what to do. Asking her to stop either works for a mere second, or doesn't at all. I've heard children with sensory disorders doing this, but she doesn't have a sd. Is this a normal phase for an almost 3yr? She started this licking thing about 5-6 weeks ago.

I didnt want to read and not respond. I would bring it to the pedi because I have seen this quesiton asked on assessment forms, which tells me that it is indicative of something. Based on my experience with my kids and friends' kids, I cant say that I have seen it as a phase. Sorry my answer is not very helpful.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

It's normal for babies 6-12 months or so. Not typical for almost 3, though. Doesn't necessarily mean a sensory problem but I would definitely talk to her pedi about it ... I can think of a few different explanations.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    It's normal for babies 6-12 months or so. Not typical for almost 3, though. Doesn't necessarily mean a sensory problem but I would definitely talk to her pedi about it ... I can think of a few different explanations.
    Do you think this might be stress related since we've been on the move since August?

Yes, it could be a reaction to stress, definitely.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

My 3 yr old is developmentally delayed and he does this with EVERYTHING! For him its sensory, so I would bring up with the pedi, so he can let you know what it might be.

My 3-year-old cannot keep his hands out of his mouth. I think it's just a phase for him. He doesn't really put anything in his mouth other than his hands, which of course drives me batty due to germs.

ETA: He does lick everything, too, including his baby sister's head. This has been a recent thing for him.

Let us know if you mention it to the Doc and what he/she says! Just wanted to let you know that your daughter's not the only one!
    Last edited by sparks3; 10-31-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks3 View Post
    My 3-year-old cannot keep his hands out of his mouth. I think it's just a phase for him. He doesn't really put anything in his mouth other than his hands, which of course drives me batty due to germs.

ETA: He does lick everything, too, including his baby sister's head. This has been a recent thing for him.

Let us know if you mention it to the Doc and what he/she says! Just wanted to let you know that your daughter's not the only one!
    Actually, putting hands in his mouth and touching his lips, teeth etc. is considered different from licking things, and is a phase for many 3,4 and even 5 year olds. I know that because my DS1 goes through phases where he touches his mouth/teeth/lips a lot. I have specifically asked when filling out assessment forms and have been told at least twice that touching is different and to fill out the forms as "no" to licking.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Shiloh is 2 & she has been doing that more too. It's frustrating because I thought she was past that stage. :\

"here's to the memories, these are my souvenirs" Switchfoot