Thread: Persistant coughing... not sleeping well?

Default Persistant coughing... not sleeping well?

Any tips or tricks I may have forgot about or not tried yet? Took my 3 year old to the Dr. today after it took her 2 hours to fall asleep last night and then after a few hours she was up again for 3 hours. Her ears and chest are clear. They told me to push fluids and things that will coat her throat. We do a humidifier, teaspoon of honey, fruit tea with honey and lemon, I've given her Benadryl on occasion, she had a warm shower before bed, I gave her an extra pillow to raise her head. I'm desperate for some sleep for both of us. She only napped a little over an hour today... most of which was on the couch with me.
    TIA
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

You could try Vicks rubbed on her feet and cover them with socks. It helps my kids, and has even helped my dad who has COPD. I've only tried it at bedtime tho.

Good luck and I hope she feels better!

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

I have been putting baby Vicks on my DS's chest before bed and that has worked wonders for him.

you can do benadryl for 6 days straight....my Pedi told me so.....if my dd is sick and coughing I do give her benadryl for at least 3 to 5 days straight and that usually helps a lot

I second the Vicks on chest and feet. We also have a Vicks cool mist humidifier that helps. We have been battling this for over a month. Some nights the coughing will wake her up. I was also giving a homeopathic cough & cold syrup.

How does Benadryl help a cough?

I also agree with rubbing vicks on the chest at night. It sure helped my DD and my DH.

For me, coughing is how my asthma manifests. If it keeps up, bring her back in and ask about asthma. I do not wheeze and my lungs sound fine. It took them nine years to dx the asthma and get me on a few inhalers and under control.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks everyone. I forgot to add that I do use vicks. I've put it on her feet, but not with socks, not sure if that would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    How does Benadryl help a cough?
    I was told that it dries out the secretions and that might help with some of the post nasal drip issues causing her to cough. Especially since her lungs are clear. Doesn't seem to be doing the trick this time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    For me, coughing is how my asthma manifests. If it keeps up, bring her back in and ask about asthma. I do not wheeze and my lungs sound fine. It took them nine years to dx the asthma and get me on a few inhalers and under control.
    My older DD, who just turned 5, is the same way. I did mention that to the nurse on the phone, but the Dr. didn't mention it. She does get wheezing though and for her its triggered by allergies. So when she starts coughing I give her Zyrtec first to control the allergies and then a nebulizer if she starts wheezing.

I sure hope she's tired enough to sleep well tonight... I know I'm exhausted!

Oh and we're using baby vicks, so you think that makes a difference? What age do you start using regular vicks?

Eucalyptus oil on the feet...my pedi has a sick tea 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 in piece of ginger, 4cloves and sweeten w honey and lemon...also the honey should be raw and preferably local

We've got the same thing going on here (with my non paci-weaning son). I'm going to try the vicks tonight. It's so hard to hear my poor kiddo coughing so much.
    Last edited by Flynn08; 10-29-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: clarification
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    We've got the same thing going on here (with my non paci-weaning son). I'm going to try the vicks tonight. It's so hard to hear my poor kiddo coughing so much.

I decided last night to let her cough and not go in her room everytime I heard her. I was doing that thinking I was helping, but I now think I was waking her up even more. So, I just let her cough and she only got out of bed once to go potty (and I got up to help her). She slept much better last night even though she did cough a lot. I think she is just coughing in her sleep or coughing and then going back to sleep and I was doing more harm then good by going in every time. Lesson learned. Hope she kicks this cough soon though.

I used to do the same exact thing and then DH reminded me that DS would have been crying if he had been waking every time. It's very instinctive to go in when you hear your lo coughing. Now, I don't go in unless he calls for me. Of course, i still wake up at every noise so I'm still exhausted every morning! I'm annoyed that I forgot to do the vicks last night hopefully I'll try it tonight.
    My 3 yo cuties!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by ljs318 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I forgot to add that I do use vicks. I've put it on her feet, but not with socks, not sure if that would make a difference.

I was told that it dries out the secretions and that might help with some of the post nasal drip issues causing her to cough. Especially since her lungs are clear. Doesn't seem to be doing the trick this time though.

That, and it also helps them become a little bit more sleepy so that they can kind of doze through the night despite any coughing.

I will usually take only benadryl and tylenol when I get a cold/cough.

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    Eucalyptus oil on the feet...my pedi has a sick tea 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 in piece of ginger, 4cloves and sweeten w honey and lemon...also the honey should be raw and preferably local
    Elderberry Syrup works amazingly, and helps boost that immune system.