Thread: Pregnancy and Migraines

Default Pregnancy and Migraines

Any tricks or remedies you BTDT ladies have found with reducing/treating/surviving migraines while pregnant???

I know I can take Tylenol, but I'm wondering how others have coped, especially whilst having to work full time?

Thanks! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

No one???

A little caffeine in the morning helps me, and my OB had no issue with that.
    Augusta (38), Jeff (33), and 3 rescued fur-babies Chancey the boxer mix(10), Tuck the malamute (2), and Jake the kitty who thinks he's a dog (1 year old!)

Anyone else have any tricks?

I don't have tricks, but a little caffeine did help me if I caught it early. I don't really consume any ever (i.e. no coffee or soda w/caffeine)...that may make a difference on the effectiveness. My dr also prescribed flexeril for me. It's a muscle relaxer. That helped for when I had a full-blown headache, but it's not something you want to take all the time long term. I got a migraine 1-2x a week in the 2nd trimester.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

I am not prone to migraines but, I read on my chiropractor's FB page apples can relieve headaches and migraines. I've also read limes on the spot where you have the headache can help. Ask your doctor your options.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    I am not prone to migraines but, I read on my chiropractor's FB page apples can relieve headaches and migraines. I've also read limes on the spot where you have the headache can help. Ask your doctor your options.
    A chiropractor might be worth looking into...or maybe acupuncture?

Thanks ladies! I've had infusions for migraines, had to have narcotics to break 5-day headaches with vertigo so bad I've fallen down my moms stairs, etc. I also gave an Rx to prevent headaches because it didn't work, had terrible side effects, and wasn't safe for TTC, so I only have the homeopathic route to explore. Thanks for the advice.

Also try tiger balm, kind of stinky but it helps ALOT!!!!

Tiger balm...good one Ash! I have some, I should get it out!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I take a daily preventative medication for headaches that I stop when TTC/pregnant as well. I have found that being pregnant in general makes mine less severe and less frequent. I usually find that a dose of sugar and caffeine and relaxation will help an impending headache, although I also got the okay from my perinatologist to take percocet when needed if the headache was severe. I have also been admitted and had IV meds, and have had debilitating headaches that lasted 2+ weeks on occasion, so I know how scary it seems when there might be no treatment available. I would check with your OB and see what options you might have before it actually happens, so you don't have to worry about it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I take a daily preventative medication for headaches that I stop when TTC/pregnant as well. I have found that being pregnant in general makes mine less severe and less frequent. I usually find that a dose of sugar and caffeine and relaxation will help an impending headache, although I also got the okay from my perinatologist to take percocet when needed if the headache was severe. I have also been admitted and had IV meds, and have had debilitating headaches that lasted 2+ weeks on occasion, so I know how scary it seems when there might be no treatment available. I would check with your OB and see what options you might have before it actually happens, so you don't have to worry about it as much.
    Great advice! I will certainly do this!!!!! Thanks!!!