Thread: Just got a call

Hybrid View

Default Just got a call

I just got a call from DSS. Looks like our fingerprints came back and now they're just waiting on our CPS reports. We scheduled our PRIDE class for two weeks from today which I didn't even realize until we got off the phone was my EDD. It's all I've been able to think about for weeks, and I got so excited at nearing the end of this part of the process that for a minute it didn't destroy me. I can't help but think it must be some sort of sign that we'll have our class on my due date. The CM said she was looking forward to seeing us again, and that she really liked us and was really excited about us being foster parents and hopefully adopted as well...that she thinks we'll be great parents. I think I may have really needed that call today. I've been sad and scared and it felt good to speak to someone positive about the situation.

We're going to try to get the rest of our paperwork together which shouldn't be too hard, and then we'll have our class and just wait on our CPS reports to come back...then we'll be an open home. It feels terribly slow but also really fast at the same time and I can't lie and say I'm not a little terrified.

So I have a question for you ladies. When would be a good time to get a crib and get the room ready? I know that while, not likely, it's possible for us to get a placement immediately once we're an open home and since there is so much unknown about this situation I think it would help to have everything ready by then in case it does happen quickly. I'm just curious what others have done and found helpful? Also anyone who has been through this before...what should I expect when a child first comes to stay with us. We're only looking at 12 months and under for right now so I know it'll be different than what an older child will deal with, but I'm expecting some possible stranger anxiety and things of that nature so...any input would be great about how those first few days usually go. Like...when do you buy things? What about diapers, formula, etc? Thanks ladies!
    MMC 4/12
    Leah (27) DH (30) Diagnosed PCOS and Stage 1 Endometriosis/Diagnosed CVID 2007

I would probably get some stuff together....you will likely have very little notice. Probably wouldn't buy too much stuff that is size determined though and formula you can always get at the grocery store. Plus the baby would almost certainly get WIC.

I may or may not have much notice. One couple in our group had 1-2 days notice. Another couple had about three weeks notice.
    What I have so far is nursery decor....found a Snoopy theme set I loved so bought it before it was discontinued.
    Pack N Play. Found one at a great deal one day on Amazon. Figure at the worse, baby can sleep in there if I don't have a crib yet.
    Diapers....I have decided on cloth and these go from size 1 (6-18 lbs) and size 2 (18-40 lbs). So I have been slowly buying them and have 10 of the size ones now and a few cloth wipes.

I thought I might do the room this fall but am thinking maybe spring instead. I already have the stuff and paint colors picked out. I know what crib and all that I want so I should be able to move quickly when needed.....same thing with the carseat/travel system. All picked out.

In your case, I would probably want some of the basics at home that babies use. High chair, stroller, crib, maybe even a few toys for different age groups if you find a really good sale. I would also probably do up a gender neutral room.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thank you! I went out to get some basic things today and I talk my MIL that we might be certified sooner than we thought. She got all excited about that though I think she misunderstood me cause everyone seemed to think we were getting a placement and I had to tell people all day that being an open home and getting a placement are two different things. Lol. Anyway, I got a baby blanket. I know they may very well come to us with their favorite blanket, but I thought it might be nice for them to have something new that we got for them. I'm all about everything being soft and cozy. So I got a really soft blanket and some crib sheets. My MIL called DH's grandmother and she called me this afternoon and said she had talked with DH's cousin and she said we could have her son's crib! Yay! So we got a FREE sleigh bed crib. Those were the kind we were originally looking at so we're really thrilled about that.

DH's aunt contacted me and said she had a bouncer and a ton of other stuff from her last one that we could have and they're all bringing that over this weekend so we'll be getting started at least. I'm really surprised how quickly things were offered up to us. I never thought we'd be lucky enough to get a crib! So now we just need to put some more things together and we'll be ready whenever the time comes. Oh and I got a diaper bag because I know I'll need that. I got a really unbaby looking one though. Lol. It's a black Eddie Bauer one that was on sale at Target. I love Eddie Bauer and it's usually all good quality and I got it. DH loves it because it's manly enough that he won't feel as silly carrying it around. Oddly, I didn't even think of that when I bought it. Haha.

It was a good day though. It felt good to FINALLY get to look at baby stuff and even get a few things and not feel guilty about it.
    MMC 4/12

I'm so happy that things are going so well. Yay for a free crib! That's awesome! Pretty soon you'll be needing more storage for all the things you'll have ;)

Your comment about the diaper bag made me laugh. My DH was the same way. We also got a black one! Haha.

That is great that the family is so supportive and helpful! I agree, it is great to finally get to go shopping for a few things. I like to go open the closet and the dresser drawer I have been putting stuff in and just look at once in a while. It makes it feel more real that eventually we will have a baby in there.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think I'll go in the baby's room often and look at things just to remind myself it'll happen, especially if it takes longer than we expect and there's no guarantees so it definitely could. Today we got a few cheap pack n play sheets. DH really wanted those. Lol. We also looked at car seats...my mom thinks we need to get that next and I imagine DSS would probably provide us with one but DH has done tons of research already and is very set on getting something good that we can use for a long time and that has good consumer reviews and safety ratings. So...I'm at a loss on that. He said he doesn't mind paying more for something good but since we don't know what age we'll get I don't know how we could get one ahead of time really. We know we'll get a child that's 12 months or under and they're likely to be underweight. So I'm thinking it might be good to just go ahead and get a rear facing seat and a stroller. We'd like to get something that's convertible from rear to front facing but if we get a baby that's small I'm not sure what we'll carry them around in. The ones that are rear and front facing don't double as carriers so...I'm at a loss. Lol. Most of the rear facing infant seats now say you should keep them rear facing for up to 35 pounds. My niece is almost two and only 30 pounds so...seems that'd be the best way to go but I have no idea. Any advice on this one?

At least I have a lot to do right now. Looks like we're getting our crib Tuesday and my parents are coming over next weekend to help with some things around the house.
    MMC 4/12

Yay! It sounds like things are progressing pretty well, I'm so glad! I hope you have a permanent placement really soon

Some people don't even use the infant carriers and just use convertible rear facing seats.....and carry baby in a wrap or something like that. I would probably just get a rear facing and if you get a really little baby, get the carrier at that point if you feel it would be useful.
    I wouldn't count on the baby coming with much of anything.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Some people don't even use the infant carriers and just use convertible rear facing seats.....and carry baby in a wrap or something like that. I would probably just get a rear facing and if you get a really little baby, get the carrier at that point if you feel it would be useful.
    I wouldn't count on the baby coming with much of anything.
    Yeah that^^
    All of our kids came with the clothes on their back. Baby C came with formula & pre.mie nipples since he came from hospital. All will get WIC & state medical. You may need to be persistent to get your worker to transfer it ASAP.
    For clothes we kept pajamas/sleepers, two play outfits & a jacket/hat. We had a variety of diaper sizes thanks to coupons/sales & Mason. Any summer outfit turns to winter with a l/s onesie & leggings or baby legs. I always shopped in of season & never spent more than $5 an outfit until they were placed. You should ask about emergency clothing funds. If they can't get you some clothes (we could grab anything from the dshs offices but lived too far to make that practical) they should be able to get some money for neccessities. they should have lice kits too. Those add up.
    Hit garage sales for toys, blankets & stuffies. We gave & sent all kids with a stuffed animal & book, even the baby.
    Hope your wait isn't too much longer.