Thread: Worried About HCG Levels

Default Worried About HCG Levels

Hi all,

I am new to this community, and very anxious about my early pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy, the first ended in a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks (fetus stopped developing at 6wks).

I discovered that I was pregnant on 10/16, and confirmed the pregnancy with 3 urine tests at home, and then with another one at a doctor's office. My cycle is incredibly long and irregular, so I was unsure of when I may have conceived, but my guess was that I was roughly 4wks along. They did an inter-vaginal u/s and saw nothing but a small cyst on one ovary and a thickened unterine lining. The doctor told me the cyst and thickened lining were normal signs of an early pregnancy, and that it was most likely too early to see anything, but wanted to run blood tests to rule out miscarriage or ectopic.

My first test came back HCG: 451 prog:15. They said the progesterone looked good, but the HCG was lower than they would like. I had my second test roughly 45 hours later, and it came back HCG: 690 prog.: 17. They drew my blood again today (at my request) which is roughly 96 hours after the last sample. I am praying that my numbers have spiked, but I am so nervous. The doctor doesn't seem too concerned, but having read online that levels should be doubling and in the thousands, and with my past miscarriage, I am incredibly anxious and looking for any input from people who may have been through something similar.

I really appreciate any info anyone on here might have given my situation. Thank you in advance.

I hope everything goes well for you. I don't know the *numbers* very well at all but, I'll be thinking of you!!!

I can see why you would be concerned but this early aren't you only supposed to double every 72 hrs? With only seeing a cyst I would guess you were right at 4W, maybe even just under. Even at 5W you can still be around 200 and still be acceptable, every pregnancy progresses differently.

At 7W my level was 228,000 which is sorta high lol it explains why I was so flippin sick! At 6W with my second son my level was just a little over 1,000 I was worried because that was following a loss but everything ended up great! With my second I had an early US at 6W as well and they saw the remains of his cyst as well. Could BARELY see a little spot in a black whole of the uterus but the doctor said it was a baby lol.

Try to relax and think positive sticky thoughts.. anxiety and stress solves nothing. Sending positive vibes for sure!!!

I just had my beta done today (4 wks exactly) and it was 64. Generally they like to see the numbers double every 48-72 hours. Your numbers are nice and high so I wouldn't think there would be a problem!
    Katie (34) DH (33). DS1 Derek (3), DS2 Adam (1). September 2014: TTC #3!

Thank you for all of your thoughtful responses.

The blood work I had done yesterday (96 hrs after last level) came back 790, only a slight increase from the 690 on Friday. Does this mean that I will inevitably lose the baby? The doctor says she doesn't want to call it yet because she has seen everything happen, but she said the odds are certainly not in my favor.

I am devastated.

I am so sorry. Although the numbers are going up it not a good sign that they aren't doubling. Can't say it won't end well some babies are slow risers. Wishing you the best of luck for a sticky bean.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Numbers in the 400 range at 4wks are awesome, I don't know why the dr would be concerned. Then they rose appropriately for that stage at the second draw. The increases aren't necessarily completely linear, there are jumps and plateaus. I think you should remain optomistic.

Hi All-
    So I went for an u/s on Saturday morning, a week and a half after confirming my pregnancy with the doctors and having my first HCG draw. The technician showed my results to a doctor who was there (not my doctor) and he said that while nothing showed up, it was probably still too early to see anything.

I don't know what to think, and I feel like I am going crazy. It is so unnerving not knowing what is going on in my own body, and not knowing what to think or plan for in my future. My doctor told me if nothing showed up on the u/s this time, it meant the pregnancy was not viable. But now this doctor is telling me that it's still too early to know one way or the other, especially since my HCG is still rising.

I am wondering if anyone has been through anything like this, and what their outcome was. I am so nervous and confused, and I don't know if I should be holding on hope or steeling myself for another loss.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Blog Entries

I think that is entirely possible that you couldn't really see anything at this point. I had an ultrasound at 5.5 weeks and was told that there was nothing there and that I might very well miscarry. They had me come back a week later and there was a baby with a heart beat. My daughter is now over three years old. So, don't consider this over yet.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

They generally can't see anything until around 6wks. At the office I go to they won't do an ultrasound until hcg levels get above a certain point, I think I remember it being 5000.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Numbers in the 400 range at 4wks are awesome, I don't know why the dr would be concerned. Then they rose appropriately for that stage at the second draw. The increases aren't necessarily completely linear, there are jumps and plateaus. I think you should remain optomistic.
    I agree!!!!! Stay positive!!!!!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

12. Default

Hmm..Sounds to me like it might be possible that you started out with 2 and maybe only 1 is staying around. It could possibly explain the high numbers in the very beginning and the reason the numbers are still going up but not doubling. I really don't know, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that everything goes okay
    Christine: Mommy to, Anthony 9.10, Caleb 8.7, Jacob 5.6, Katelynn our newbie and Our Angel Nevaeh 1/1/07-1/1/07

Exclamation So confused... Help??

I posted about a month and a half ago concerned about my low and slow rising HCG levels.

A little history: About two days after an ultrasound that was said to be too early to show anything (they thought 5-6 weeks tops), I began bleeding. It was relatively heavy, but nothing worse than a period with some clotting. I had mild cramping but nothing severe.

This all occurred during hurricane Sandy (I live in New York) so I could not contact my doctor for three or four days. Once I was able to get in touch with her, she said it sounded like I had miscarried, and that I would need to schedule some follow-up blood work. I was really upset about the loss, as this is my second miscarriage with no healthy babies. Life got in the way, I accepted my loss, and decided I would deal with the blood work and follow up work later (a stupid decision, I know.)

Fast-forward to tonight-- my boobs have been incredibly sore, I have been inexplicably tired, and just not feeling like myself for the past couple of weeks. I chocked it up to stress etc. but tonight was feeling paranoid and decided to take a pregnancy test. It came back positive. I don't know what to think-- is it possible that I have become pregnant again? My "miscarriage" would have been roughly a month ago, and my boyfriend and I have been extremely safe and honestly not having sex all that often. Is it possible that this is the same pregnancy?? I am so scared and confused, and wonder if anyone might be able to shed any light on my situation...

Blog Entries

It can take a few months for your HCG to go back to zero after a miscarriage. So, it is quite possible that the HCG left in your system is from that. I would call your doctor and request a BETA to see where your levels are at.

I am sorry that you are going through this!
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Time to see your ob! As the previous postee said, it can take awhile for hcg levels to get back to normal. But it is also possible that it is the same pregnancy, or a new one. Good luck!