Thread: Is your 4 year old whiny?

Default Is your 4 year old whiny?

My 4.5 year old is soooooooooooooo whiny, it drives me bonkers at times. I wonder if it is the age or his personality. I really hope it is age related Is/was your 4 year old whiny too?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Cody can be a whiny butt too. You aren't the only one. He is also a real grump after Pre-K.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    Cody can be a whiny butt too. You aren't the only one. He is also a real grump after Pre-K.
    Yes, mine turns 5 on Sat. and is especially whiny after school!
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Yep! She can be pretty whiney!! ...and demanding... fun times!

does that answer your question?

Yes. Well I don't have a four year old currently. But yes.

I started giggling just reading the title. He turned 5 last month but yes, yes, yes. I'm sorry but its not just a 4 year old thing, it continues. I will say my 7 year old does mix it up with defiance more now that she's older.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

Dude, my 2 year old does it. Drives.me.up.a.wall.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

WHHYYYYEEEE do you ask? WHHYYYEEEE? TAAAAANNNYYYYYYYaaaa? WHHHYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? I don't have anyyyyyyyyyyy familiarityyyyyyyyy with whinyyyyyyynessssssssssss.

In all seriousness, my just-turned-5-year-olds are whiny. Actually, my girl is not very whiny at all. She has other issues, of course. My boy is very whiny. He whines a lot and cries a lot. I was just thinking last night as he burst into tears because, "IIIIIIIIIIII don't like anyyyyyyy of the threeeeeee toothpaste flavors weeeeeee have!!!!!" that he tends to be a glass-half-empty kind of guy. I'm trying to get him to say, "I'm very disappointed about _______" instead of whining or crying automatically, but a lot of times he just whines or cries and then adds the phrase on at the end. I'm still complimenting him for using his words when he does actually remember to express himself with real words in a normal tone of voice.

DD is not quite 4 yet, but sure is whiney.
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

Yes, yes, and yes. But she was also a whiny 3 and a whiny 2 year old!

Yes yes and yes. He has a particular intonation to the way he says "Mom?!" that grates on me. Even when he's not whining he uses it. It's like "maaaaahhmmm".
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Um, yea. Although Jayden is better about snapping out of the whiney-ness than Peyton is! If Jaydens whineing and I say "are you whineing??" he says "nooooo!" and puts a big smile on his face. Totally changes his tune. Peyton however will answer that same question with an even whineyer (lol, sp) nooooooo. Drives me a bit crazy.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

I so hope it's age related. I tell him to walk away and come back with his normal voice. Then sometimes he talks in a high pitched chipmunk voice. ayyy!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Dude, my 2 year old does it. Drives.me.up.a.wall.
    this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post

does that answer your question?
    Hahaha! Yes, this!! Mine is, too, but honestly he's always been a crier/whiner/fit-thrower.

My 4 year old is very whiney and it's driving me batty.

oh my goodness...YES!!! i'm so glad to see it is not just my child. she whines like CRAZY and it irks the crap outta me. i try to tell her that i am not answering/helping/playing with her when she talks like that. my almost 3 year old is picking up on it and has kinda started it too...but not too bad. my kids have never been whiners, so when she started with it....it was like...SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

Mine just whines for a lot of things and whines before he even asks me whether he can do/have something.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Mine just whines for a lot of things and whines before he even asks me whether he can do/have something.
    DD and DS both do that! One has a drink, so the other says, "I wish I could have a drink." in a whiney voice. It's normally something they just need to ask for and will get every time.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

DS turns 4 in Jan and he's very whiney! It drives me bonkers!

Mine is too attitude riddled to be whiny.

He disagrees with EVERYTHING. I can be like, "Want that big chocolate coated donut?" "NO!" You don't want a donut?" "NO!" "Or do you just not want a donut because I suggested it?" "Right."

Oy.

She is seriously soooooooooooooooooooo whiney!

In fact, in a not so proud mama moment, during bath tonight I just lost it on her! She has been a crier since day one so my patience wore out about three years ago. No matter how patient, firm, understanding, or on a day like today crazy I am she just keeps on whining!

Nope. But my 3.5 and 6 year olds are!

It's like it's in stereo. They even whine to each other. I either cover my ears or tell them to use their nice voice.

I don't have hope it will ever end really.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    WHHYYYYEEEE do you ask? WHHYYYEEEE? TAAAAANNNYYYYYYYaaaa? WHHHYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? I don't have anyyyyyyyyyyy familiarityyyyyyyyy with whinyyyyyyynessssssssssss.

In all seriousness, my just-turned-5-year-olds are whiny. Actually, my girl is not very whiny at all. She has other issues, of course. My boy is very whiny. He whines a lot and cries a lot. I was just thinking last night as he burst into tears because, "IIIIIIIIIIII don't like anyyyyyyy of the threeeeeee toothpaste flavors weeeeeee have!!!!!" that he tends to be a glass-half-empty kind of guy. I'm trying to get him to say, "I'm very disappointed about _______" instead of whining or crying automatically, but a lot of times he just whines or cries and then adds the phrase on at the end. I'm still complimenting him for using his words when he does actually remember to express himself with real words in a normal tone of voice.
    HahahH WHYYYYY???? That drives me NUTS. OMG! Hayden was never like that and I always thought it was because I explained things well enough. LMAO! Oh man how naive. Yes whiny here, too.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)