Thread: M/S at 4 weeks?

Default M/S at 4 weeks?

How common is it to have morning sickness with vomiting start this early? My throat is killing me from the vomiting and I haven't been able to keep anything down other a handful of crackers and half a banana. So far, this afternoon I have been able to drink lemon gatorade and a gingerale, but this morning I even threw up my water. Not to mention, I am exhausted from being up since 3 am with nausea.

I have two sons, and only had a little m/s with my second, but it started more around 8 weeks and stopped by 12. This whole 4 week stuff is absurd. I got my first positive test result on 8 DPO, and it has been vomit city ever since.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I have heard sniffing lemons can help...I am open to any and all suggestions!
    - Laura My boys: Aidan Michael-9/26/07 Riley Pearce-3/17/10
    Surprise #3...BFP 9/7/12 & Due 5/19/13 - EEEK!
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Gosh sorry to hear you're sick so early. In my experience if you're sick this early you're not in for a good time. I've had hyperemesis on this pregnancy for 6 months. The first time I vomited was when I was 4 and a half weeks pregnant - a few days after my missed period. It went away for a few weeks then came back with a bang and I had to be put on medication. Have a look at a website called hyperemesis.org. It has loads of invaluable information.
    I don't want to scare you. Maybe your sickness isn't pregnancy related and you just have a bug or something
    Me 34 DF 41 TTC #1 since July 2011

Sunflower: Thanks...I had never heard of hyperemesis. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with that...it sounds miserable. I haven't been able to eat much without vomiting. Yesterday I had a very small and bland dinner and when I woke up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I ate some plain cherrios and gingerale. Much to my delight, I woke up at 4 am with nausea, but did not (and have not) vomitted yet today! Yesterday, the nausea got significantly better around 2 pm, so I am hoping I only have 3 more hours of this retched feeling, and then I would have made it a whole day without throwing up. The thought of throwing up again makes me want to cry. All the vomitting and heartburn has made my entire throat raw...

Thanks so much again for answering and I will continue to surf that website! Hope you continue to feel better.
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Yes I used to feel the same about vomiting. The thought of it was nearly worse than actually vomiting!
    I'm glad to hear you're doing better. In my early days I wasn't able to eat during the days but always woke in the middle of the night and was able to hold down food. So eat whenever you can. But really really the most important thing you can do is stay hydrated. Everything I read and was told is that in the first trimester not eating does absolutely no harm to the baby but what can harm the baby is dehydration. So make sure you drink all the time even if you are throwing it back up and maybe mix in a tiny amount of a sports drink into the water. That's what worked for me. I never needed to be hospitalized for dehydration but if you do feel dehydrated (not able to hold down any liquids for days, dark urine, lack of urine) get yourself in to be hydrated with an IV.
    Anyway you might not need any of this advice cos maybe it was just a temporary glitch for you but just in case it returns remember eat if and when you can but don't worry about food as much as drink.
    I hope it stays away for you.

I felt nauseated but never got sick at 5 weeks pregnant with Sophia. I would highly suggest to call your ob if you can't eat anything without getting sick. You might be able to get an anti nausea medication. It sounds early to be that sick.

My m/s started at 3w4d and lasted until about 13w.. even now I still take Zofran almost every morning. eating starchy things can help (I snacked on chex, animal crackers, etc) but a prescription for Zofran is what really got me through it.

11/11 (ectopic pregnancy 6w3d, loss of left fallopian tube) | 05/11 (m/c 5w3d) | 11/10 (c/p 4w2d)

Obviously it is safe for the baby if doctors prescribe it, but are there any side effects to zofran? Though, I am not sure if it matters if I am able to eat again without instantly puking...lol.
    Make a pregnancy ticker

My morning sickness started that early as well. The side effects I had with zofran was headache and constipation. It's way better than puking though. I had sever hyperemesis as well but I will not scare you with my stories good luck and feel free to pm me with any questions.

Thanks liontamer (love that name, btw)...I appreciate it so much. So far it seems to taper off around 3 pm, and starts back up at 3 pm. I have my first appointment next Friday, so if its still 12 hours of nausea and vomit...and I will ask my doctor about zofran because i would rather have a headache than feel sick even when I look at my kids plastic play kitchen food (yes, that really happens...have you seen the play bacon...ewe).
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I really liked Preggie Pops to quell my nausea with DS. You can get them as suckers or lozenges, and they even have them as an organic formula.

I didn't start m/s that early last time, but it was constant and severe from weeks 6-16. Then I remember getting really sick right at the end and then it shutting off like a switch.

I've had waves of nausea so far, but came close to having to run out of a Teacher's conference today. Strangely, I feel like it is a blessing: a sign that the bean is healthy...
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

My MS started early @4W, and is still going. I lost 14 lbs and had to be in the hospital once. It was REALLY really bad from 6W-10W. Zofran was a lifesaver!! I tried phenegren too but it knocked me out so bad I couldn't function. I didn't have headaches but I do get constipation I just take a stool softener with it. I'm 12W now and take maybe 2-3 a week when it's really bad. It's finally starting to let up.

I snacked on dry honey nut cherrios like crazy and drank icy cold water with fresh lemon juice in it. I also put lemon scented oil in my scent warmers lol it really did help. and I mixed lemon gatorade with soda water because the fizz helped but soda tasted way to sweet to me and made me gag. I also found that taking small bites helped because and spending time outside in fresh air and going for a walk helped.

Good luck and congrats! It can be miserable but it's worth it