Thread: Dh said he is willing to TRY cloth!

Default Dh said he is willing to TRY cloth!

I just mentioned this morning that I wouldn't mind getting a few cloth diapers to try for the new baby. If we hate it, we stick to disposables. If we like it, then we buy more and save money in the long run (money is the key to win an argument with him ). Anyway, he said he is ok with trying, but he has to approve. So my test diapers must be something that can win him over. So I guess something that is most comparable to the convenience of disposables would be the key here, keeping in mind that I also need to be show long-term savings with the, so nothing that's so crazy expensive that it would end up costing more or equal to disposables in the long run.

Suggestions anyone?

We found a local green store that sells used cloth diapers. I bought all in ones for daddy and grandparents. I plan to do prefolds and covers as they are the most economical but probably not the most sitter/daddy friendly. We also bought pockets. Honestly, if you are just trying them out I would wait until black Friday for the online sales. That way you get awesome deals on diapers you can resell.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Oh I didn't think about doing AIOs for daddy and then something else for me. I'm wondering if it makes sense to just start of with some AIOs that can be used as the "selling point" for dh. And then if he approves us getting more, I can move to prefolds. I don't think my daycare would have issues with prefolds - I would say it's about 50/50 at Liam's daycare with who uses cloth versus who uses disposables. So I'm sure they're accustomed to the different types.

I'm also a member of a co-op and cloth diaper sales happen quite often there. There is currently a CD sale of which I can't disclose full details to non-members, but it just seems a lot per diaper. Like the same as or more than the cost of a small pack of Pampers for a single diaper. Quick tangent - if anyone who is FB friends with me is interested in joining the co-op I can add you to the group. In addition to sales on things like CDs, they have toy sales (Melissa & Doug), teething necklaces, dryer balls, etc and sometimes for as much as up to 50% off retail. Anyway, Black Friday is a great idea. Where do you even look on Black Friday?

Blog Entries

AIO's are generally the most expensive cloth diaper type. They are just like disposables, though, since all you do is put it on the baby and then put it in the wash and then put it back on baby. I personally find the pocket diaper as the best option in terms of price and convenience. For a pocket diaper, you do have to stuff the pocket with your absorbent material which you can obviously change as your baby grows and pees more. Once the pocket is stuffed, it is just like an AIO in that you put it right onto the baby and go. Depending on the diaper style, you may have to unstuff the soiled diaper before it can be washed or with some diapers the washing machine will agitate them right out.

When I went from disposables I got some AIO's and some pockets. My kids pee too much for AIO's (they are very big wetters) so I sold the AIO's and just did pockets with lots of inserts. Now that I am very comfortable with cloth I use mostly fitted diapers with covers since there is more absorbant material that way. With any future child I'm going to do mostly prefolds and fitteds from birth on.

There are also company's that offer discounted starter packs like this one at Jillian's Drawers. Those types of things then let you try a bunch of different diapers and return them all for all but $10 back in this case, return the ones you didn't like for a refund on just those or keep them all. That way you get to try many different types at once to see which type or types work best for your family.

Now, you need at least 12 diapers a day to wash once a day. You need 24 - 30 to wash every other day in the beginning.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I agree with trying AIO's. LIke Jessica said, they are more expensive but closest to disposables. A lot of people like bumgenius for AIO.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarisseMarie View Post
    Oh I didn't think about doing AIOs for daddy and then something else for me. I'm wondering if it makes sense to just start of with some AIOs that can be used as the "selling point" for dh. And then if he approves us getting more, I can move to prefolds. I don't think my daycare would have issues with prefolds - I would say it's about 50/50 at Liam's daycare with who uses cloth versus who uses disposables. So I'm sure they're accustomed to the different types.

I'm also a member of a co-op and cloth diaper sales happen quite often there. There is currently a CD sale of which I can't disclose full details to non-members, but it just seems a lot per diaper. Like the same as or more than the cost of a small pack of Pampers for a single diaper. Quick tangent - if anyone who is FB friends with me is interested in joining the co-op I can add you to the group. In addition to sales on things like CDs, they have toy sales (Melissa & Doug), teething necklaces, dryer balls, etc and sometimes for as much as up to 50% off retail. Anyway, Black Friday is a great idea. Where do you even look on Black Friday?

There are actually TONS of different cloth diaper/mommy type co-op groups on FB. Do some searching around and you might find prices/types of diapers that are more suited to what you are looking for.

Remember though that even though they are expensive to start up you will get 2-3 years out of many of them and even use them on the next OR resell them. I'm part of a few co-ops too but I'm getting AIO's from my cloth store used for $10 or less per diaper for GroVia's and diaper service quality prefolds for about 75 cents. I'm trying to be economical but also keeping in mind they are much better for the environment too!!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Oh I love the idea of a starter kit! I may have to check into it. With so many different types and styles, it's definitely overwhelming and hard to know where to start!!!

Here's another question - would it make sense to get a couple cloth diapers for my 21 month old as a way to test if we like them?

Unfortunately, the environmentally-friendly/better for baby argument works better on me than DH. He is 100% cost-focused.

Oh and if buying used, how do you make sure they are good and sanitized?

Stalking. Learning a lot. Thanks!!!

one question: how do day cares handle cding? You have a pail there for them? No one in our day care used them that I'm aware of.
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

You could try them. My cousin CD so I used her experience to decide what I wanted to do. I also set up an appt with the lady at our cloth store and she let me check out all the diapers, try them out, touch them....it was great. As far as used diapers I check for staining. I don't buy them if they are stained. Most people that CD have spent time and money and know how to take care of them. I get that not all staining can be avoided but I avoid them. I plan to wash and sanitize them once I need them anyway so I'm not worried about that part.

Make a pregnancy ticker

I have been buying thirsties brand pockets and just ordered a fitted/cover for nights (I plan to get a few of those but am buying a little here or there. The pockets are nice as they open on both sides for easier stuffing and removal. The reviews on amazon are quite favorable. And they are super cute....even my DH admitted that for a diaper they are really cute. They are bit expensive, I want to say the pockets run about 17 each. They are one size sort of....they have a size one and a size two to fit smaller babies sooner and the bigger size fits up to 40 lbs. Even with buying a full set of each size and a few fitteds/covers for nights....I am still saving money over disposables. I think that I figured what I'm doing to be like 800-900....still cheaper than disposables at probably 2500-3000. Plus should we end up with a miracle pg after the adoption, we can use them again or I can sell them or something.

My local store too does rentals or starter kits. I don't want to deal with prefolds and no way was I going to get DH to agree to that. But the idea of saving at least some money (also started buying cloth wipes)....and for him the environment was also helpful.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by babykenny View Post
    Stalking. Learning a lot. Thanks!!!

one question: how do day cares handle cding? You have a pail there for them? No one in our day care used them that I'm aware of.
    I take in a clean wetbag each day with her days worth of cloth diapers in them. They put the clean ones in the changing area and load the dirty ones in the bag throughout the day and I take it home at the end of the day.

To keep it easy I use mostly pockets and AIO's, they are daycare/daddy friendly.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

I would ask your daycare. Many of them won't CD at all. It has to do with DH'S and what they say is ok. Ours agreed to do it but I have to provide a wet bag everyday and they are not allowed to rinse the diapers per DHS. I'm also planning to use a biodegradable flushable liner to try to reduce staining from having poop in them all day. I've decided to go with pockets for daycare but prefolds and covers for home use.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Ive tried all different types of diapers and my favorites have been the Applecheeks the fit is amazing and while they are pocket you dont have to pull out the inserts it will come out in the wash, it also gives you the fittedness without the prices. I think they also have starter kits to. I also love the Kawaiis for some reason they just are really good diapers.

I'm also on a co-op and we just had sunbaby pockets ridiculously cheap. I think they will be doing alvababy pockets soon. I think you live in my same metro area? There are two Cotton Babies stores nearby, they sell all the higher-end brands and they are extremely helpful there with answering all your questions. They even have free cloth diapering classes to get you familiar with all the different types and accesories and whatnot.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)