Thread: celiac disease

Default celiac disease

Has anyone had or had their child diagnosed with it? Caitlin has had issues with constipation and bloating since she was 9 months. Her pediatrician has always dismissed it as common in kids.. Recently it seems like it is every other week that shehas trouble I started doing my own research to see what's going on and came across this disease. Caitlin has so many of these symptoms and other oneS I don't know if she has because she can't tell me. Some of the immediate ones that come to mind are the growth issues (she was off the charts for a year and now is in the less than 3 percent), bloated stomach, chronic constipation, random fatigue, anemia, easily bruised, teeth issues (she has teeth discoloration but not cavities), random skin rashes that come and go (I blamed it on sweating a lot). We are calling today to get a blood test, but I feel terrible that I didn't connect these things before and ask for a test sooner...

Any advice?

nobody? i called and we have an appointment with her pediatrician on Thursday of next week. I've been reading more and more about it and the more and more I'm convinced this may be what's going on with Caitlin.
    Cathy 24 DH 24 DD Caitlin 2 DD Charlotte

No direct experience, sorry. An odd question though - does she take any multivitamin? I wonder if she is deficient in iron.
    Audrey (38) DH (34), Lilly (DD), Logan (DS). Breastfeeding is more than feeding. It is communication between mother and baby. It is a form of nurturing; it is an act of love.

How old is she? It is my understanding that it cannot be detected in a blood test until a child is at least 6ish. I think Kai may be a celiac, or at the very least gluten intolerant. One can be gluten intolerant, not a "true celiac", and still show all of those symptoms.

I have never had a dr listen to my concerns about Kai and we've been through several pedis over the years. One night I started googling "common food allergies" and celiac/gluten intolerance popped up and I saw so many of his symptoms. Bloated belly, rashy face, NO growth, always tired, horrible sleep habits, dark circles under his eyes. I cut out gluten that day and almost all of the symptoms went away. The biggest one being that he grew 2 inches this summer! We are still dealing with some rashes and something funky with his bladder but he is for sure allergic to gluten without a doubt in my mind. He also started sleeping through the night and even taking naps, so much more energy and generally happier and better behaved.

I hope that your dr will listen to your concerns. My advice to you is to go gluten free for her for at least 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference. It's really overwhelming at first but if you have questions or need help, please feel free to ask me. I would be happy to help as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    How old is she? It is my understanding that it cannot be detected in a blood test until a child is at least 6ish. I think Kai may be a celiac, or at the very least gluten intolerant. One can be gluten intolerant, not a "true celiac", and still show all of those symptoms.

I have never had a dr listen to my concerns about Kai and we've been through several pedis over the years. One night I started googling "common food allergies" and celiac/gluten intolerance popped up and I saw so many of his symptoms. Bloated belly, rashy face, NO growth, always tired, horrible sleep habits, dark circles under his eyes. I cut out gluten that day and almost all of the symptoms went away. The biggest one being that he grew 2 inches this summer! We are still dealing with some rashes and something funky with his bladder but he is for sure allergic to gluten without a doubt in my mind. He also started sleeping through the night and even taking naps, so much more energy and generally happier and better behaved.

I hope that your dr will listen to your concerns. My advice to you is to go gluten free for her for at least 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference. It's really overwhelming at first but if you have questions or need help, please feel free to ask me. I would be happy to help as much as I can.
    thank you! I have been doing a lot of research on it and it seems like she can have a simple blood test ran on her (even now at 2.5) that will show hwether or not she has it. It is then confirmed with a biopsy of her intestines. I explained to the office my concerns and requested the blood test at the appointment-they said that they can give it and will call my insurance to make sure it is all covered. I also read that you shouldn't go gluten free until the test is done because it can interfere with the results-so we are stuck for at least a week.

I really think this is the issue. Caitlin has almost every single symptom that I have read about, and the ones I am not sure on are because she can't tell me yes or no. Gosh I hope this is the answer-or at least leads to an answer regarding these issues. I would give anything to not have her constantly having constipation issues and being so small

Poor baby. I totally understand your feelings. I used to look at Kai and I just felt like he didn't look healthy, like something was not right. Then one night when i tucked him in he asked me when I was going to figure out why he alway didn't feel good. That's the night I started my own digging.
    i'm glad your dr is listening to you. Yes, it's true not to cut out gluten before the test.

I met someone who was diagnosed with celiac disease in his 20's. He is 5'7" tall when all his brothers are 6' or taller. He's now gluten free and vegetarian (for other reasons, I think) and feels like a million bucks every day!

Way to be the voice for your baby! We sure are lucky to have so many resources at our fingertips to be able to educate ourselves and advocate for our kiddos.
    Last edited by RachelB; 10-11-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Rachel, Wife to Andy (12/2003), Mommy to Tanner (12/2009), Hoping for a brother or sister for Tanner in 2013

Honestly, I'd skip the blood test and do an elimination diet. Ds is gluten into,errant, within two weeks of cutting gluten out of his diet his eczema went away and we didn't have the sleep issues that he used to have prior...

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Within 2-3 weeks of cutting gluten for Keira her migraines and reflux and throwing up jags were 95% better. It was amazing. We put her back on gluten for a couple months to be tested-we never intended to keep her on gluten but we wanted celiac testing. She tested negative for celiac but has high reactivity to gluten through...IgG testing (I think...IgA? whatever a naturopath does, NOT an allergist).

Biggest difference that I can see between knowing if you're GI or Celiac has to do with sensitivity and what's happening within the body. From what K's pedi and the naturopath both explained was with Celiac disease you may not have a discernible reaction to, say, cross-contamination but inside your body there is still damage going on. With GI it's more like you've got a bucket. And any gluten exposure goes into that bucket. Some people's bucket is super tiny and cross-contamination is a huge deal. Others it's not as tiny and they're not as sensitive to cross-contamination (this is where you get some people who can eat any kind of oats and some where it has strictly got to be certified GF oats). However big your bucket is, when it gets filled and starts overflowing is when you start seeing/feeling symptoms.

The reason we made sure to have K tested is (since she's older) we have taken the approach of leaving her gluten consumption up to her in most situations. Like if she wants the piece of bread sample at costco with the peanut butter or whatever. She almost always choses to forgo but we wanted to know if it was ok to leave it up to her and tell her "it's your headache (migraine)/your stomach" or if even eating that little bit was going to be causing damage whether she felt it or not. But in reality the treatment is essentially the same, we just wanted to know where she stood.

I'm getting ready to request myself be tested. I've had persistent mouth ulcers and chronic canker sores, skin rashes and my dentist has urged me to have the blood test for celiac, although he cannot order it himself. If I'm positive we'll probably have a biopsy done on Keira since the tests can have false negatives.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

A milk intolerance can cause all those same symptoms you mentioned too, and would correspond to a year when people often start their babies on dairy.

thank you ladies! I really appreciate the advice/support. I was thinking possibly milk intolerance as well-but her issues started more like 9 months or so (I remember on our wedding night she had such a bad issue of constipation we stayed up all night caring for her as she screamed and finally went potty-she had not had any milk yet so thats what I kind of skipped that but I'll definitely look back into it if we do not get any answers with the test. At least it is a starting point, I feel better knowing that i'm not just letting everything go

I have several friends with Celiac, and it is relatively easy these days to cut gluten from your diet. I am also lactose intolerant, and there are lots of dietary options out there for that too.

I'd get bloodwork if that helps you get answers, but also start making dietary adjustments and see if the symptoms improve. Good luck- I hope you get some answers soon!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)