Thread: Micropreemies

Hybrid View

Default Micropreemies

My niece had her baby @ 24w/3d gestation on August 12th. Her daughter weighed 1lb 8ozs at birth. She has been doing pretty good so far. She has 2 holes in her heart and she had an episode with NEC recently which resulted in surgery. She now weighs 3lbs 10ozs and is almost 2 months old (33 weeks old gestation) and is still fighting hard!

My question is: How many of you have had experiences with micro-preemies and what was the outcome (if you don't mind sharing)?

I do not have any experience but, I will be thinking of your family.

I had a coworker who had her daughter at 24 weeks. She was much smaller than your niece's baby at a little over a pound, had a myriad of problems, could never be taken off a respirator, and passed away shortly after her first birthday.

I didn't know them when they were little, but my SIL had 29week B/G twins. One weighed just over 2 lbs and the other weighed just under 2 lbs. The little girl ended up on a feeding tube through part of her toddlerhood, but they both recovered well. I don't think they had any long term issues. They are both 17 1/2 now, and are seniors in high school, and do very well academically as well as participating in many sports.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

I would do a search to see if there any support groups out there.

Well Kalyssa (the baby) has an OG tube for her feedings but they've stopped her feedings because of the NEC. She had been eating 26ml (almost an ounce) every 3 hours. She is still on the ventilator and will be for quite some time. However, the nurses keep telling my niece that their goal date to come home is her due date *November 29*...I know she isn't even close to coming home now because of all the issues she is having and I honestly know nothing about NICU babies or preterm births.

I will have her look for a support group. I know the NICU in our city offers consultation and counseling for mothers and fathers with babies in the NICU. I just thought maybe some of you might have some experience with preemies Thank you for all your responses!

My BFF had 2 babies at 29 weeks both were about 2 pounds 7 ounces and both are thriving healthy teenagers with zero issues.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I know some twins that were born @24 wks. They were in the hosp up until close to their due date. They have been in early intervention since they went home. One has some vision issues and the other has some gross motor issues from bleeding in her brain. Neither has cognitive issues and they both have excellent long term prognoses. They also both are very happy funny toddlers. It's been hard on the family but they are so proud of their little ones! I hope your nieces baby does well.
    My 3 yo cuties!

My DH's cousin gave birth to a baby boy prematurely due to pre-eclampsia around 28 weeks. He only weighed 1lb. 7oz. at birth. He was in the NICU for approximately 3 months. Dylan is now a happy and healthy, very rambunctious 3 year old. He doesn't talk a whole lot, so he does go to therapy to help with his speech, but other than that he's fine. It's really good to hear that Kalyssa is almost up to 4 lbs. already. She's a little fighter that's for sure. I will keep Kalyssa and your family in my thoughts!!

I had a coworker who gave birth to an almost 2-pounder about a year and a half ago. He has some early interventions and has been monitored closely for vision and hearing delays/issues but is otherwise perfectly fine!

Good luck and God bless Kalyssa. I will send some prayers up for her!!!
    Last edited by babykenny; 10-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I work in special education so I see kids with all kinds of issues. Recently I saw a little guy, four years old, who was a twin and born at 26 weeks. Both were less than 2lbs at birth I believe. The boy had respiratory issues and at four years old was severely delayed. He had a vocabulary of about five words and significant cognitive and gross motor delays. Twin sister is perfect and a healthy, outgoing, smart little girl at four. Just to say you totally can't predict the outcome.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

A friend's daughter had twin boys born at 27 weeks, they each weighed about 2.5 pounds. They both had brain bleeds, one needed surgery, they were in the NICU for 3 months. They are 4.5 years old now, one has CP, but they are thriving and are sweet little boys.

Best wishes to your niece and her daughter.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I also just wanted to say that IMHO, there is incredible power in positivity and prayer.
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I have a friend whose daughter was born around 24wks ( I can't remember if it was just before or just after). I did not know them at the time, but met them when she was 4. It was a long road (dad says it was the longest darkest days of his life) but she is a perfectly healthy 9yr old now. So there is hope!

I have a coworker whose daughter was born at just under 26 weeks. Her daughter is absolutely perfect now at 2.5. She doesn't have any delays/other issues (at least that htey know of right now). She did stay in the Nicu for several months afterwards.
    Cathy 24 DH 24 DD Caitlin 2 DD Charlotte

Thank you so much ladies for sharing your stories! I know the outcome could go either way. She has had her ups and downs and honestly, I think she'll be just fine. However, we will love her regardless of her outcome. It was the scariest thing to happen in my life. I watched my niece give birth to Kalyssa and it made me feel helpless just to stand there knowing I couldn't do anything for either of them. We still don't know much about why she went into labor early. Her water broke when she was 22 weeks along, and spent 2 weeks in the hospital on bedrest. She bled the entire time so they thought she might have had placenta abruption. They did find MRSA in her placenta after the birth though.

We just keep praying and hoping for Kalyssa everyday. I haven't been up to see her recently since I've been sick, but Ashley (niece) says they are still talking about her coming home on her due date!

The march of dimes has some great online and in person support groups.

sending some hugs and prayers!

I met a mom this summer who had both of her children around 24 weeks. Her boy was just about 3 and was in camp with DD - he seems to be doing just fine. Her daughter was about 5 months old at the time I met her. She was about the size of a 1 month old, and had a tube of some sort (I think oxygen but I am not positive). But her mom said that other than the one portable machine she was on, she was progressing very well.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I've worked with many 22-28 week babies before, their outcomes have all been very different with different hurdles along the way. Sounds like this babe is doing great for weight gain, etc. I would def have her contact the local infant/toddler services as soon as she is discharged, based on her gestation age, she would be an automatic qualifier and could receive developmental services to help make sure she is on track and support the parents in any way they need.

My daughter Erin was a micropreemie, born at 25 weeks weighing 1 lb 12oz. She never had NEC. She had a number of problems that kept her from coming off the respirator until she as 3 months old, about 10 days before her original due date, and then she developed hydrocephalus from a brain bleed she had suffered at 10 days. She is now 26 years old and the mother of 2. She had some brain damage as a result of the brain bleed and hydrocephalus and has learning disabilities and a very poor short-term memory, as well as impulse control disorder, which were probably all a result of the brain damage. She also has some mental health issues, but I don't know that they are in any way connected with her being premature. She was sick a lot when she was younger and was in and out of the hospital her entire first year of life -- mostly with frequent pneumonia and once when her shunt for the hydrocephalus failed -- but overall she came out fine. She has no physical disabilities at all.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!