Thread: I am firing my dishwasher

Default I am firing my dishwasher

I've decided to just stop using it and wash by hand. I've tried every natural detergent out there and even attempted to use homemade several times and the dishes just don't get clean unless I use the nasty chemical cleaners. Even then I usually have to rinse debris off my glasses. I resigned myself to just use it and then I recently saw the brand we use on a top ten list of carcinogenic cleaners . So I give up! I may run my pots and pans through on occassion but otherwise it's back to old school for me.

I have done dishes by hand for so long, I can do them better and faster then any old dishwasher!!! We have a dishwasher that I use for storage containers and cups for DD to reach easy!!

I dress myself!

I gave that up a loooooooooooooooong time ago. LOL. My hands are very dry though and don't look that great so I am now putting a lot of shea butter on them. I want to try beesewax since it is so good for the skin and protects it so well. I know surgeons use it to keep their hands smooth from the frequent handwashing.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Yes, the tips of my fingers are all cracked skin now, especially since winter is on it's way and my skin always changes with the season. I'm going to get a good pair of gloves I think.

Ha.. I was just going to post in random about dishwashing detergent recommendations. I have a brand new dishwasher. I have tried conventional, natural, and homemade detergents. Every single load come out with at least 5 things that are dirty still. I have to rinse it completely to have it be clean. If I am using that much water to rinse, I might as well just clean it by hand.

Exactly, Lisa. It's not saving water if we have to rewash everything. I hope your new dishwasher does well for you. I know that mine is not the best one on the market or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Exactly, Lisa. It's not saving water if we have to rewash everything. I hope your new dishwasher does well for you. I know that mine is not the best one on the market or anything.
    It's actually the new dishwasher that sucks. I hate it. We had a really old one before, and it was the same. I blamed it on its age. The nice thing about the dishwasher is that I don't have to deal with the dishes ASAP. I hate having dirty dishes in the sink. SO i quickly wash right after a meal, and I usually only have just enough time to get the stuff that must be washed by hand done before someone needs me.

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying you just got a new one.
    I have come to the conclusion that some things, to work up to our expectations, just cannot be water efficient. I ran into the same problem with my HE washing machine and my cloth diapers. Was I really saving anything if I had to wash my diapers 6 times? I sold it and bought an old hunker off craigslist and i only have to run 2 cycles and a rinse.

I don't even think mine is high efficiency. We've had it IDK 6 months? Never has it gotten a complete load clean. Even DS1 now, when he helps unload will ask "is this plate clean?" because I haev to inspect every item!

I think I might need to get some gloves too!

I'm sorry that you all have issues with the dishwashers. I wonder if it's just a lemon? Maybe try to get a replacement?

I have a whirlpool HE one that is now 2 years old....since we built the house all my appliances are two years old. I use Cascade powder and jet dry.....and it's rare that I have something come out dirty. I also mostly do not rinse dishes before they go in unless they have a ton of red sauce on them as that stains the inside of the machine. Most of my pans are washed by hand.

I will say that I do notice mold builds up easily around the hinge area where the door swings open and I wipe that down with clorox wipes on a regular basis.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You're a better woman than me, Bridget. I have a love/hate relationship with the dishwasher, especiall because of the daycare. It's like, I have soooo many other rhings to be cleaning, dishes being my least favorite.

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm sorry that you all have issues with the dishwashers. I wonder if it's just a lemon? Maybe try to get a replacement?

I have a whirlpool HE one that is now 2 years old....since we built the house all my appliances are two years old. I use Cascade powder and jet dry.....and it's rare that I have something come out dirty. I also mostly do not rinse dishes before they go in unless they have a ton of red sauce on them as that stains the inside of the machine. Most of my pans are washed by hand.

I will say that I do notice mold builds up easily around the hinge area where the door swings open and I wipe that down with clorox wipes on a regular basis.
    Cascade is one of the worst out there; you get one of the worst ingredients in it from environmental standpoint. If I put Cascade in my dishwasher, the dishes are clean but if I use environmentally friendly one, I have to scrub and re-wash them. Hence I hand wash everything. I think that's the point Bridget was trying to make.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Yes, that is the point I was making. I know certain cleaners will likely get my dishes clean but meanwhile they are leaving nasty cancer causing chemicals on my dishes. I tried to turn a blind eye for the sake of using the dishwasher but then, as I mentioned, I saw our brand on a top ten worst list and now I can't do it.

Can you post a link to your list? I want to see if mine is there..

**Lizzo**

Skin deep now rates them too
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I would be interested in the link as well. I have never looked into dishwasher soap. I do know that they recently changed it, maybe last year? so that it doesn't contain phosphates.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

writerlilly Guest

My house doesn't have a dishwasher, so I've been handwashing for years. Sometimes the dishwasher doesn't get things as clean as I want them to be either.

I think for us it is an issue of the water. I ran out of my homemade detergent so I asked if I could borrow some of my neighbor's commercial kind as I was curious as to if the dish problem was due to my detergent or not. My dishes came out the same. I am still out of citric acid so I decided to use some of my Rockin Green (it is approved) in there and my dishes came out beautiful. So I think it is because of the hard water, but who knows?

I have a love/hate relationship with our dishwasher too. For starters it is about as old as I am. I just got some stuff from the Honest Company, but I don't notice a difference cleanliness wise between that and those Cascade pacs (this is all new to me since I washed by hand for years). I've only used it once. However, it is so convenient to just load the dishes in there. Our sinks here are smaller than what they were at our old apartment which were smaller than our very first apartment. I'd have more room if I took one of the strainers out, but they are still small. Plus I prefer to use running water to wash which isn't cost/energy/resource efficient.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    I think for us it is an issue of the water. I ran out of my homemade detergent so I asked if I could borrow some of my neighbor's commercial kind as I was curious as to if the dish problem was due to my detergent or not. My dishes came out the same. I am still out of citric acid so I decided to use some of my Rockin Green (it is approved) in there and my dishes came out beautiful. So I think it is because of the hard water, but who knows?
    I think mine is a water issue, too. We are having trouble with getting our water hot, so maybe thats why. idk. i think i might have hard water, too. i did not know rng could be used as a dishwasher detergent! i didnt like it on my cloth, so maybe ill try

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I think mine is a water issue, too. We are having trouble with getting our water hot, so maybe thats why. idk. i think i might have hard water, too. i did not know rng could be used as a dishwasher detergent! i didnt like it on my cloth, so maybe ill try
    Type just 1 or 2 tabl per load. There are a lot of diff things you can use it to clean with

Have you tried using a vinegar wash? When needed I run a load of dishes/glasses (no silverware or stainless steel) with 1-2 cups of vinegar in a pyrex measuring cup and run a regualr wash w/o heat dry. This does the trick for clean dishes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by music maker View Post
    Have you tried using a vinegar wash? When needed I run a load of dishes/glasses (no silverware or stainless steel) with 1-2 cups of vinegar in a pyrex measuring cup and run a regualr wash w/o heat dry. This does the trick for clean dishes for me.
    I will try that! Would it ruin the stainless steel?

I can't say I know from experience. I just had some trouble with our dishwasher when it was new and the book suggested running a vinegar wash and it worked! I try to run at least once a month.

I am on the hunt for a healthy detergent. The homemade stuff didnt work well but i would be willing to try out a few recipes.

How does method brand rate?