Thread: Did you start having regular BH contractions before going into labor?

Question Did you start having regular BH contractions before going into labor?

The title really says it. Today, since about 11am, I have had BH contractions (tightening of the stomach mostly, getting a lot stronger recently, also sometimes it will cause pressure in my head and take my breath away) about every 15 minutes. Pretty much consistent throughout the whole day. But they are not getting stronger, not getting closer together at all either.

So did you have this happen to you shortly before labor started? Did this happen to you and had no relevance at all to when your labor really did start?
    Cathy 24 DH 24 DD Caitlin 2 DD Charlotte

I had BH with Cody until real contractions set it from around 28W-39W.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    I had BH with Cody until real contractions set it from around 28W-39W.
    wow you had them that whole time? Like consistently several times an hour? I have had them on and off since the start of the 3rd trimester, but its just today that htey have been consistent coming several times an hour all day.

It was probably 2 an hour and very regular but, during that time I found out my fluid level was really low. I don't know if that aggravated the BH's but, I was confused if it was real labor at 39 weeks. The pain would not stop and then I knew it was real labor. Apparently more than 4 an hour you should call your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    It was probably 2 an hour and very regular but, during that time I found out my fluid level was really low. I don't know if that aggravated the BH's but, I was confused if it was real labor at 39 weeks. The pain would not stop and then I knew it was real labor. Apparently more than 4 an hour you should call your doctor.
    I think I read that if I am full term, I dont need to call the doc unless there is a concern (like bleeding, water break etc.); otherwise I just wait it out and see if it turns into something more 'obvious' of labor. I know this isn't labor-i remember the pain with Cailtlin. Just curious if this is a precursor to it being closer or not. With DD I didn't really have BH contractions so this is new to me

I had them like you described but was induced at 39w so I didn't go in to labor anyway.

That went on for a while (maybe 36 weeks and on) so I am not sure if I would have gone in to labor anytime soon. I was 2-3cm dilated so who knows!

Good luck!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Had them for 6-8 weeks before labor. Maybe more? I can't recall. They'd come on for 12-24 hours and then stop. Regular, back to front, exactly where my labor was when it really started. Just not as strong (but got stronger as we got closer to the real thing) and not as close together (but those gaps got smaller, too). They didn't produce labor and thus, they were bh and not contractions. (although, they did register as contractions on the monitors when we went to L&D or if they were happening during a doctor's visit.) When the real thing happened, at least for me, the difference was obvious. Intensity and timing. Again, same patterns, just faster and more painful.

I had this pattern off and on starting about 6 weeks before I delivered. They gradually became more frequent. I can't say when the real thing came I could tell the difference, though. I ended up having a "dysfunctional labor pattern" and having to get augmentation (pitocin).
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I had none that I noticed - at all.

Good luck, by the way!

2/09 6/09 4/14

with q i was induced.
    with v we dtd and during that i started having bh they were very regular and by the time i decided to time them they were about 6 min part within about an hour they went to 3 min apart and started to get stronger. i was 38w6d and had her about4 hours later. so yes. i had regular bh that led to full labor.
    i also had lots of bh with v. sometimes regular and sometimes not.and it started around 25wks or so.