Thread: Custody question Help!

Default Custody question Help!

My cousin has court in the morning. Her main concern with giving X more time is ths their son already spends the time with either Grandparents or a sitter because he needs to spend the weekend with friends (which is why he wants a full week )
    Anyone had it written in to the order if he skips out on visits that the order can be revised? Can she ask for some sort of trial period? She has no problem with him having the time & both grandparents are already fully involved. She has issue with him taking him & then getting a sitter so he can go out. He's 9 & asked if he could speak since h doesn't like spending time with dad (anger issues & was abusive to mom) but he has to be 12.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't have anyone to ask.

THey can do a contingent order. I have also seen it written that mom gets first dibs on babysitting if dad needs a sitter during his time. She doesn't have to but she can if she wants.
    If the kid is 9 and doesn't want to go, that should be mentioned even if the kid can't speak himself. Also someone needs to ask the kid if dad is being abusive to him (the kid) or around him. Either way should create a need for supervised visitation only.

Thanks! I'll pass it along. They've been divorced for years & had mediated agreements but he just moved back to town a few months ago & wants more. From what I've been told, he only gives the kid time of day if his gf is around or he goes to something with her family. Trophy kid.
    I know he yells & blows up over silly things but child has said he's not violent, just scary loud.

I would also see about getting the child a court appointed advocate. They usually will be a neutral voice for the child so that it is not mom against dad in regards to the child's feelings.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I would also see about getting the child a court appointed advocate. They usually will be a neutral voice for the child so that it is not mom against dad in regards to the child's feelings.

Erin
    This

I think that's what they did. The kid is going to a counselor for the next 3 months who is going to be able to advocate for him & also see what he has to say about the anger issues.
    Otherwise visitation stayed the same until the next court date. Judge told X he needed to be prepared to comprise as he doesn't normaly grant the arrangement he wants.
    Cousin is happy for now. Thanks for the advice!