Thread: First pregnancy, lots of questions.

Default First pregnancy, lots of questions.

Ok, this is my first post on this forum. Let me start off by saying that I am 20 and my girlfriend is 23. We both have a great job with a steady income and both have reliable transportation. I have my own apartment as well as great health insurance. I'm not a high school dropout that got a girl pregnant. I graduated from high school and my girlfriend is going to graduate from college here in the next few months with a degree in Cosmetology.

Now that's out of the way, let me begin with all the details.

• Kayleigh has been off of birth control for over 2 months now.
    • We had unprotected sex on September 23.
    • The first day of her last period was September 5th.
    • Her cycle is 28 days (+ or - 1 or 2 days)
    • October 8th was the 5th day late on her scheduled period. Still no blood.
    • October 9th (6th day late) there was light bleeding (red) then stopped. 8 hours later, more bleeding, about half as much as before.
    • The bleeding was no where close to what a normal period of hers is like, very little blood.
    • October 9th, we had sex, while having sex, she got this huge cramp, she felt extremely nauseous, never threw up though. Was sweating but felt cold.
    • After we had sex, and that huge pain, still no more blood.
    • We took 2 pregnancy tests, EPT & First Response, both came out positive.

So tomorrow the 10th, will be a week that her period is late (the blood that I mentioned was definitely not her period because of how light it was and that it was not constant flow.

Since we had sex (for the first time) on September 23rd, that makes her 2 weeks going on 3 days pregnant?

Please help me out here as this is a lot of information that we are both taking in and I'm trying to understand it fully as this is our first pregnancy.

Thanks you, Seth & Kayleigh.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Gestational age would be how you figured it, but in general reference pregnancies are dated from the first day of the past period-so she would be 4 weeks 6 days today, 5 weeks tomorrow. That said, it sounds like she probably ovulated a bit late if you didn't have sex between the 5th and 23rd. So if she had a scan it would be pretty normal to see dates be a week or so off at this point (too early for a heartbeat to be seen at any rate)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    Gestational age would be how you figured it, but in general reference pregnancies are dated from the first day of the past period-so she would be 4 weeks 6 days today, 5 weeks tomorrow. That said, it sounds like she probably ovulated a bit late if you didn't have sex between the 5th and 23rd. So if she had a scan it would be pretty normal to see dates be a week or so off at this point (too early for a heartbeat to be seen at any rate)
    That is correct, we did not have sex between the 5th and 23rd so I know for a fact that the day she conceived had to be the 23rd.

yup you would count it from the first day of her last period . Definetly sounds like she O'd later than is the norm. BTW this site is non judgemental, i havent seen anyone say anything negative to anyone concerning age or marriage status, as me and my BF are currently TTC and we are 22. Good Luck H&H9months

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_Laraine View Post
    yup you would count it from the first day of her last period . Definetly sounds like she O'd later than is the norm. BTW this site is non judgemental, i havent seen anyone say anything negative to anyone concerning age or marriage status, as me and my BF are currently TTC and we are 22. Good Luck H&H9months
    I didn't know that but if we go by the first day of last period, that means that she is 4 weeks and 2 days starting tomorrow.

I get five weeks tomorrow dating from Sept 5th. It's the first day of her period, not the last day.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I get five weeks tomorrow dating from Sept 5th. It's the first day of her period, not the last day.
    You are right, Wednesday the 10th will be 5 weeks

Another question, what causes a female to ovulate late?

Women's cycles are all different. It's only a problem if it's so late that she gets her period before the pregnancy is established. Since that didn't happen for you, enjoy.

*Update* October 10th*

Kayleigh had the extremely bad cramps again, same ones as yesterday but this time there was blood, and lots of it.

She claimed that she was bleeding big time, cramping again, and having cold sweats as well as heavy breathing.

She said that the blood just keeps coming and that there are really dark clots.

Today, the 10th, marks her 5th week of pregnancy.

Please tell me that this is not a miscarriage.

It does sound like one, sorry. Might be best to get her to the ER.
    Augusta (38), Jeff (33), and 3 rescued fur-babies Chancey the boxer mix(10), Tuck the malamute (2), and Jake the kitty who thinks he's a dog (1 year old!)

I'm sorry, but the cramping, heavy bleeding and clots do not sound good. She should contact her OB immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ootus973 View Post
    It does sound like one, sorry. Might be best to get her to the ER.
    Will the hospital be able to tell us if she had a miscarriage or not?

Call her OB. When I had a miscarriage I called the ER and they said not to come in unless I was bleeding so heavily I filled more than a pad an hour - in that case she's losing too much blood and might need a transfusion. Otherwise, the ER can't do anything to stop a miscarriage this early. The OB can do blood work to determine the level of pregnancy hormone in her blood and if needed can follow it down until they are sure everything is out of her system. The ER would not order that lab work (and in my case, the OB/gyn didn't either).

Call her OB. When I had a miscarriage I called the ER and they said not to come in unless I was bleeding so heavily I filled more than a pad an hour - in that case she's losing too much blood and might need a transfusion. Otherwise, the ER can't do anything to stop a miscarriage this early. The OB can do blood work to determine the level of pregnancy hormone in her blood and if needed can follow it down until they are sure everything is out of her system. The ER would not order that lab work (and in my case, the OB/gyn didn't either).
    We have an appointment with her family doctor tomorrow at 3pm so we will just wait and see what they have to say because her OB is 5 weeks out deep in appts.

That should be fine. Have her ask for a blood pg test.

I'm sorry. It does sound like a miscarriage.

That should be fine. Have her ask for a blood pg test.
    Is it too early for any testing as all of this just happened today at 5:30pm?

Remember, she was 5 weeks pregnant today.

No, not too early for an HCG test. HCG is manufactured by the placenta so if it is present in her body, there was a pregnancy. It's the same chemical a urine pg test checks for, but the blood test will give you a number. Anything lower than 5 means she is not pg. Higher than 25 means pg, and in between is iffy. They usually do it twice, and if the numbers double in 2-3 days, the pregnancy is doing well. If it falls or doesn't rise quickly enough, she is losing or will likely lose the pg. The urine test is not sensitive below 50, so if she had a positive test, she is far enough along for a blood test for sure.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-10-2012 at 06:36 PM.

She is now complaining of severe cramps about 30 minuets apart, stabbing back pain, sweating, and shakes.

Please help me out here what is going on with my girlfriend?!?

Your girlfriend is having a miscarriage. If she's filling more than one pad in an hour, get her to the ER. Otherwise, get some Tylenol in her to help with the pain.

I'm sorry. I've been through this, and it sucks -- both physically and emotionally.

Well, after the doctor visit today, they checked her out, there is nothing left inside because she bled it all out.

The doctor said that we can try again in about 2 weeks, she prescribed her an anti-biotic to prevent an infection and recommended that she take some prenatal vitamins as well as eat healthy to bring her back to health faster.

I'm sorry. I've been through this and it sucks. Thinking of you both.

Big no miscarriage is easy. I have had 3 and I'm so sorry for your loss. Hoping and praying for you guys to have a sticky bean ASAP

Stick around on this four. There are a lot of women on here that can give great advice.
    Last edited by liontamer; 10-11-2012 at 05:49 PM.

I'm sorry. Be prepared for your girlfriend to be really up and down emotionally for while. Miscarriages are hard.

I'm sorry Most of us have been there, I had one before I got pregnant with my first daughter.

Just try to keep your chins up - everything happens for a reason. I look at my daughter now and think about the fact that she wouldn't be here if my first pregnancy had made it...and I just can't imagine not having her in my life. It'll work out and happen when it's best.

I am so sorry for the lost. In Oct. 2007 I had a + test but, two days later I had bleeding. The hospital determined an super early m/c. Its sad no matter how early. I got pregnant again with my now 4 yr right after.