Thread: Columbus Day

Default Columbus Day

Does your child's district have off for Columbus Day?

If you have a child in school, do they celebrate the holiday? Do they teach about Columbus? If they do, do they teach that he was a great explorer who discovered America or do they teach the event as an encounter with Columbus and his crew stealing land?

I was having a discussion about this with a friend who was worried about what our children will be taught when they go to school in a few years, so I wanted to know what your children are taught at school on this subject.

My kids came home with a poem that mostly talked about how he was an explorer and how he used the stars and compass to navigate. The poem also noted that he was not the first one to "discover America" but it did insinuate that he and the Native Americans were happy to see each other. I elaborated to them and we decided as a family that this is not a "holiday" that we are interested in celebrating.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

No day off, although last year we had it off but that's because it fell on the Monday they use for grading.

My girls learned about the names of the ships, that he was a discoverer from Europe and that's about it-nothing about the natives and the climate he brought with him.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I just asked Peyton what she learned and she said "His name was Christopher Columbus and he sailed the seas and there were 3 ships but one broke and there were 2 islands"... and then she trailed off. I'm surprised I got that much information out of her.. she's not usually very good about telling me things that she has learned.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

My son had the Friday before Monday off for the holiday which is odd. I never had the Monday off that I could remember.

Around here, it has officially been changed to "Native American Day". My 3 year old hasn't learned anything about it yet, but I'm pretty sure the schools here teach more about the Natives' perspective. Back when I was in school, I remember learning about the 3 ships, and how Columbus discovered America. I really don't remember them teaching about the Native American side of things. I was raised in Air Force base schools, don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    ~Andrea~

Hayden had it off, but only because it's fall break to start with. He's been off since the 28th of Sept. and doesn't go back until the 17th of Oct.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

I never got it off going to school and teaching in California, but most schools get it off here in Chicago (except this year I believe it was used as a make up day for the teacher strike). When I was teaching, we did a very general teaching of Columbus as an explorer, but I also taught mostly kindergarten. It is funny, because I never knew it as a holiday to have off, but Chicago really does it up and has a parade and everything!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

We always got it off growing up...but that's because 2/3 of the school district was Canadian (I lived 2 miles south of the border in NW Washington) and it conincided with Thanksgiving!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Mira's school is off, and I know that Columbus is on the 'what we learn in October' newsletter (so is Marie Cassat), but I have no idea what if anything they're teaching about him, not to mention, I have no idea what 2 1/2 - 3 year olds can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkiss View Post
    Around here, it has officially been changed to "Native American Day". My 3 year old hasn't learned anything about it yet, but I'm pretty sure the schools here teach more about the Natives' perspective. Back when I was in school, I remember learning about the 3 ships, and how Columbus discovered America. I really don't remember them teaching about the Native American side of things. I was raised in Air Force base schools, don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    Wow. Do you live in an area with a lot of Native Americans?

No day off here. Today is Leif Erikson day...he's regarded as the first European to "discover" North America.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Wow. Do you live in an area with a lot of Native Americans?
    Yes, South Dakota. We have something like 7 Indian Reservations in SD. This topic of Columbus Day/Native American Day is a very touchy subject around here. Unfortunately, it's not something that has faded into the past. It still feels somewhat segregated.

Here's a little detail: http://blog.travelsd.com/index.php/2...-american-day/
    ~Andrea~

Schools are closed here and there is a big parade in NYC. It has become controversial so i dont know how much longer it will go on for. Its a big italian celebration but i dont know any italians who celebrate it and being italian myself i find it all very embarrassing.

DD mentioned learning about the ships which i thought the pilgrims came over on major mommy brain moment lol! She did mention he met up with the natives so maybe they touched on the subject? Not sure...

Dh and I discussed this last night. I wa telling him that I didn't think it should be a federal holiday anymore. He said that he doubted that would change as Confress would have to vote for that....

Quote Originally Posted by moosh34 View Post
    No day off here. Today is Leif Erikson day...he's regarded as the first European to "discover" North America.
    What a special day!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by moosh34 View Post
    Aw, I bet that will always be a special day for you! And thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know that.
    ~Andrea~

No day off, nobody is teaching anything at my sons' preschool and I have no idea abou t the public schools
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)