Thread: I hate doctors!! Did I or didn't I ovulate!

Default I hate doctors!! Did I or didn't I ovulate!

I got a positive ovulation test strip. Per an ultasound of my ovaries and uterus I O'd (RE even pointed out the egg). But since my progesterone level came back 2.53 now my RE says that I did O. WTH!!!

I've emailed and called to speak with my RE about this and all I get is a run around with her nurse. The receptionist said I could talk to her at my next appointment in a month (which isn't even scheduled yet!!!!!!!!)

I'm thinking about buying progesterone cream on amazon and just take my fertility and messed up hormones into my own hands....

I am so sorry for your frustration! I would feel the exact same way!! The Dr.'s have no idea what we go through on our end! I am probably not the right person (as I am no dr.), but I would get some OTC progesterone and see what happens next month. Your progesterone levels are too low and I am not sure why they don't have you on it now. Urrgg...please know, my heart is hugging yours! I truly feel your pain with Dr.s that give no answers and request an appointment to even talk further with you about your tests!! This is exactly why I went with my naturopathic Dr. She calls me, even on Saturday if that is her only time and every time I go in, she goes over every little change in my body for that week. A bit excessive but nice to finally have the care I need!

I hope you get answers soon or try the progesterone and see what happens! My sister got pregnant after her second month on progesterone and had been trying for 15 months prior!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

That seems very strange. I agree you may need to supplement with progesterone, though.

I can't remember - do you temp? I've never been good at charting consistently but it is a good way to confirm O if you make it work.

My first appt with the RE was CD 33 and he could tell I had O'd due to looking at my ovary - he could tell which ovary had released the egg. He will point out follicles before I do the trigger shot but I haven't had him do a post-O ultrasound other than my first appt. I know you don't necessarily release all your follicles. Possibly you had a good-sized follicle but didn't release it? I'm just trying to reason through this.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Ya my RE pointed it what ovary I O'd from too! I have pics of my ovaries and they look vastly different...since one released an egg. She pointed out the egg too, I saw the little white speck.

I don't temp bc I can't do it at the same time every morning prior to moving around.

My RE called whe I was driving about an hour ago and she said she call back so I'm still waiting for her to call so I can request progesterone suppositories. I was on my way to get my CD3 labs done. And I have an apply with her on Thursday to go over them.

How frustrating. Just doesn't make sense that she said you didn't O.

Hope your appt goes well, at least.

If you have a period, does that mean that you O'd?

Not always. I have anovulatory cycles sometimes, although I usually O on my own. Usually the cycle is a little funky for me when it's anovulatory, though. Longer, CM is absent or different, boobs aren't sore, that kind of stuff.

That sucks that your doc is being so confusing! If you did O, I agree that progesterone suppositories could help you. If you did not O, that would explain a low progesterone reading at that time in your cycle. I agree with Gwenn, it is possible that you had a big follie but didn't release it... I have no idea how likely that is. I have heard of people who have anovulatory cycles and still get AF. I hope you get some answers soon! Or at least some progesterone suppositories
    Katie (34) DH (33). DS1 Derek (3), DS2 Adam (1)

RE finally called back and basically said that ovulation isn't black and white and she doesn't know if I O'd or not

Well ... Give her points for honesty!

Lol ugh!

did you have an ultrasound in your follicular phase as well? (CD3 or follicle checks) bc they CL cyst (which is what is left in the ovary that tells them you ovulated) could have been left over from a previous cycle. The progesterone result you had (if it was 7-10 days post ovulation) does not indicate ovulation. If I were you, I would not use progesterone on my own. Instead I would insist on a CD3-5 ultrasound and then another one at CD10-12 to check follicular growth to get a better picture of what is happening pre O. Once you know there is a follie growing, you can be more confident in your OPK reading and timing. Then if you still get a negative progesterone reading you will know that your body is not triggering ovulation on it's own (thus you will need a hcg trigger shot) or you have a progesterone problem. Until you have a full and complete picture, you can't know how to treat it, KWIM?

I'm no expert, but I can tell you what happened to me, and the conclusion my RE came to.

My body was like clockwork. 28 - 30 day cycles, and almost perfect charts. Two issues with my charts, though- I Oed a bit late (CD 15 - 17), and the temp rise was low. It was definite, and followed the same pattern nearly every cycle, just low. Maybe 1/4 of a degree, 1/2 a degree max rise. My 7 dpo progesterone was always low, too, usually between 1 and 3.

With those two signs, my RE concluded that I have a "weak" O, which means that the egg is not well developed, so not healthy or strong, or however you want to describe it. Basically, sometimes I didn't O at all, but sometimes my body went through the motions, but didn't produce a viable egg.

I needed Clomid to produce a good enough egg, but so far Clomid has failed for me many more times than it has succeeded! I was also on progesterone, which gave the same results as Clomid- one success, many failures.

Anyway, of course I can't tell what's going on with you. We're not even 100% sure that's the explanation of my wonky body. But that's my story, I'm and sticking to it!!

Good luck.

ETA- my pre-O follicle scans always showed awesome follies (sometimes medicated cycles made them TOO awesome and gave me OHSS!). My post-O U/S, with and without meds, always showed signs of O, so a lot like what you're seeing. My non-medicated cyles showed signs, but nothing definitive.
    Last edited by Krystal5; 10-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird_kay View Post
    did you have an ultrasound in your follicular phase as well? (CD3 or follicle checks) bc they CL cyst (which is what is left in the ovary that tells them you ovulated) could have been left over from a previous cycle. The progesterone result you had (if it was 7-10 days post ovulation) does not indicate ovulation. If I were you, I would not use progesterone on my own. Instead I would insist on a CD3-5 ultrasound and then another one at CD10-12 to check follicular growth to get a better picture of what is happening pre O. Once you know there is a follie growing, you can be more confident in your OPK reading and timing. Then if you still get a negative progesterone reading you will know that your body is not triggering ovulation on it's own (thus you will need a hcg trigger shot) or you have a progesterone problem. Until you have a full and complete picture, you can't know how to treat it, KWIM?
    Oh I see, make better sense now.

I don't think it was from a previous cycle since my previous cycle was before I got pregnant over 2 years ago......

Krystal thank you for your story.