Thread: If you recently had an epidural....

Default If you recently had an epidural....

Yikes! Glad I didn't get one.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

My husband heard on the radio that they are thinking terrorist attacks. Meningitis is scary stuff!

It's not the same med they use in epidural anesthesia. It's a steroid, not an anesthetic. So, we're cool.

Whoa! My mother just had this exact procedure done a few months ago...after July. Thanks for the heads up!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Wow.. Scary stuff . Thanks for posting.

I live in MN and had one. I was really scared when I heard some clinincs here had used some of the bad vials. I immediately called my doctors office and asked them if I had anything to worry about. The nurse said they (as in my clinic), don't use the compounded steroid, which is the one causing the outbreak. I was very much relieved!!

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    It's not the same med they use in epidural anesthesia. It's a steroid, not an anesthetic. So, we're cool.
    It's not just the steroid they're recalling now. That was what they originally were concerned about, but it's expanded now.
    From the article:
    "The Food and Drug Administration released a list of 34 different drugs this morning that included steroids, epidural anesthetics used to block pain during childbirth, and surgery and saline solutions that are compounded to make different medications."

Yep it's been extended to include 3 strengths of bupivicaine, so that does rule in some epidurals and spinal anesthesia. But only from that one company.

Ew. That's bad. Thanks for the update!

I'll have to ask my doctor if the hospital uses that company - I am planning on having one in just a few weeks!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

From CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/outbreaks/meningitis.html
    Towards the end of the page, I saw this:
    "Epidural injections are generally very safe procedures, and complications are rare. Fungal meningitis is an extremely rare cause of meningitis overall, including after epidural injections. The type of epidural medication given to patients affected by this outbreak is not the same type of medication as that given to women during childbirth."

Now I'm confused. I read in an article that the recall includes some epidural medication given at childbirth - and the above is contradicting - or maybe I'm missing/misunderstanding something.
    If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm - Bruce Barton

The guidance you posted relates only to the steroid injection. That was the original recall. The list I read included other drugs recalled by that company. Some were not steroids. I don't know if the company is just being extra cautious and that's why it's not included in the CDC article. I guess it's a watch and wait. That said, this stuff will already have been replaced in hospitals. Other companies make the same drugs and hospitals would just switch supplier