Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is worse in your opinion?

I would use the medicine. There's no need for your baby to suffer from the pain of the ever-present rash, and with medicine that may clear it up once and for all, then (for me) it's an easy choice. You can look at other dietary changes and allergy issues at the same time.

And some kids just drool alot. The now-2 year old who shares a nanny with my son still does so in buckets.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 10-06-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I think I second the amber necklace thing- Emme was never a drooly kid and I never even thought it could be the necklace, but she did wear one from 5 months until about 3 1/2 years old She literally never soaked a single bib or her clothes, unless it was from drinking something and spitting it back out.

It does soun like you may need to look further into allergy issues with her, but in the meantime if you have to do something about the diaper rash, I agree with the PP who said to stop using wipes. I am interested to know what wipes you are using-- ingredients in them matter (I found that out with Emme).

Other than that, I'm sort of in the cereal camp... I think. They say not to start solids early unless medically necessary, and this to me falls under that category. Antibiotics come with their own set of potential issues that can be hard to reverse- thrush, allergic reactions, even worse diarrhea and rashes- but if the cereal causes any issues you can just stop the cereal and the problem will probably go away.

Does she take a bottle or how would you give her cereal if you go that route? I was picturing mixing it with some with breastmilk and giving it to her in a syringe....
    The wipes are Huggies natural care I think? I used to use Target sensitive but I thought they were causing problems. She hasn't been crying when I wipe her and lately I have been wiping her with water and diluted GSE afterwards and trying to air dry it.

They were suggesting to put the cereal in a bottle. She takes a bottle fine - I just don't know when I would pump every day and am tempted to see if she would just take it by a spoon or dropper. I was also thinking this falls under the "medically necessary" umbrella and it would not be very much anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    I would use the medicine. There's no need for your baby to suffer from the pain of the ever-present rash, and with medicine that may clear it up once and for all, then (for me) it's an easy choice. You can look at other dietary changes and allergy issues at the same time.

And some kids just drool alot. The now-2 year old who shares a nanny with my son still does so in buckets.
    The problem is I don't know if the meds would clear it up forever. I am afraid it will come back and she will have to keep taking it. But I agree that I want it solved for now and then we can see what steps will work for the future - hopefully more natural remedies.

Thanks for all the responses!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Have you tried putting breastmilk on the rash?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Have you tried putting breastmilk on the rash?
    No I never thought of that. Interesting idea. I was reading that yogurt applied to the rash may help (assuming it's yeast). I may try that but I am very afraid to do something that will make it worse. The thing that worked the best so far is GSE and drying it out but it's SO hard to do with the older girls around. They just love her so much they won't leave her alone and it becomes a whole scene. The BM couldn't hurt...I think she is getting a bottle today when I take DD1 to gymnastics so I can get some from there or I will be pumping in place of the bottle so I can get some there as well.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yes try the bm on the rash it may help. When ds had a bad rash I had to use homemade wipes with plain water. The store bought wipes were too harsh on his bum. Another thing that worked is maalox, use a cotton ball to apply, along with a&d, that seemed to always help. Poor baby, hope she feels better.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

You can make a wipe solution with oil and water, a drop or two of gentle soap if you want and even add gse to the solution.

I am dealing with the same thing with DS. I'm not sure if his rash is now a yeast rash or not. I have no idea what a yeast rash looks like. He poops almost everytime he passes gas. I'm having to change his diaper at every feeding, sometimes twice, he nurses every 2-3 hours. The pedi told me it was normal, too. She also said as long as it's a mustard color and seedy then I have nothing to worry about. Now it's just a mustard color, but no seedy look. My brother suffers from food allergies. So, I'm wondering if I passed that gene to him. I've started running his booty under warm water instead of wiping. I hope you find something that helps and I hope she feels better!!

I actually started using lanolin on DS. It has made a huge difference!!!

reflux reflux reflux!(???) Acid in their mouth causes drool, acid in throat makes them hurt, they spit up all the time, and acid in their poop causes horrendous "butt burn" rash. Gets worse at 2-3 months old. Treatment if I am right would be oral antacid (you can try maalox 1 ml 2-3 times a day for a few days to see if it takes the edge off) and also maalox blotted onto her bottom after each poop to neutralize the acid. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    reflux reflux reflux!(???) Acid in their mouth causes drool, acid in throat makes them hurt, they spit up all the time, and acid in their poop causes horrendous "butt burn" rash. Gets worse at 2-3 months old. Treatment if I am right would be oral antacid (you can try maalox 1 ml 2-3 times a day for a few days to see if it takes the edge off) and also maalox blotted onto her bottom after each poop to neutralize the acid. Good luck!
    She has a script for zantac i didnt think it was helping but i admit we didnt try it for long and its hard to give to her bc it tastes horrific. I dont know why i didnt think about that because i feel like her poop is burning her :ohno :

I had a hard time finding maalox. The surgeons nurse recommended it too. All they had was the cherry flavored one. Is that ok? I tried it but felt like it was worse with it so i stopped.

ETA: Just tried the maalox on her butt not orally.
    Last edited by macksmom; 10-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.

So sorry to hear this! I've used maalox mixed with butt paste on sonny's bottom when he had a terrible rash, and it really helped. I hope you get to the bottom of it ASAP!

I've seen its been suggested to try making your own wipes (its rather easy and cheaper imo) As long as shes not in alot of pain when wiping and such I'd trail and error, Medicine would be good to clear it up for now, but you would need to think long term, if this one is that bad and lasting long, what works for her to keep them at bay..Goodluck I hope she gets better soon for your sake and hers

I dress myself!

Just came across your post and it sounds so like my DD when she was an infant. It turned out that she had a milk allergy. Once we solved that issue, everything cleared up right away.
    Augusta (38), Jeff (33), and 3 rescued fur-babies Chancey the boxer mix(10), Tuck the malamute (2), and Jake the kitty who thinks he's a dog (1 year old!)

If (oral) zantac/ranitidine isn't working after a week I would call your ped and ask if you can try prevacid or prilosec. They work better and taste 100% better. I would use cherry maalox on her bottom but not by mouth, personally. Based on nothing. Hope you get things figured out soon!

What is the medicine? I guess that would make a difference to me whether I would give it or not. If it is for yeast I would probably give it a try, as it sounds like she could have a systemic problem since the rash keeps coming back. Did she get IV meds with the surgery? I don't know if giving her zantac for the refulx will help her poop not be more acidic. You could try giving her the Maalox orally, we did that with my reflux baby, though I don't remember the dose. I would still consider cutting out dairy, and citrus (any time I ate citrus my DS got a bad diaper rash), despite not seeing a pattern with what you eat and her flair. Its possible that it takes a day or 2 in her system to react, or that she is always on the edge of a flair and is fighting with her immune system.

have you used hydrocortisone on it? Sometimes mixing that with monistat and then putting a really heavy coat of lanolin or zinc oxide on top to form a barrier makes a big difference in the rash. If it is yeast, its coming from inside, if its acidic poop, its from it touching externally. is it just one big red area with open places? Or is it a bunch of little sores?

I would try not to wipe with anything while she has a bad flair. I know its a pain in the butt, especially with other kids around, but try just rinsing her in warm water and pat dry with a clean towel. I wouldn't go back to using disposable wipes until you know for sure this thing is completely gone.

At least one of the ingredients in the wipes could be a skin irritant (I didn't check them all): http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredie...ngred06=702196
    I would seriously consider making your own wipes or trying something else. Emme reacts to everything but doesn't react to Kirkland brand wipes. Do you have a Costco membership? Just a thought

Tapir's advice makes so much sense. I really hope her pedi can help you figure this out quickly!

We definitely had fewer skin irritations with flannel wipes and plain water, or water with a few drops of oil. We used a peri bottle to wet the wipe, so the water is sitting there with the wipes and you don't have to go to the bathroom. Although if you can squirt the peri bottle directly on her skin, or just wash her with water at the sink and then dry, it probably would be even better. I do think the soap on disposable wipes can be hard on the tush.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I'm not sure what I would do as this isn't an issue that I've encountered. Just reading the thread, I'm so sorry that you and your LO are going thru all of this- the surgery, the care afterwards, the rash- I hope you all get past this very soon.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Saige had this. We cut back on fruits, seemed like the acid in them made it worst. I caked destin on her after every change and never used wipes unless she pooped. Those things helped and she outgrew the yeast, bloody rashes with no allergy. My pedi just said some foods can make it worse when they are babies but it would likely not develop into a real allergy-he was right.

We just used Nystatin when it flaired up and them lots and lots and lots of destin to create a barrier.