Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is worse in your opinion?

Default Which is worse in your opinion?

DD3 has horrible, recurrent diaper rashes. They look like yeast rashes with open sores and redness. We got a script for Nystatin which I have been using for the past month. It will seem like it is going away and looking great then BAM it's back with a vengeance. I have tried EVERYTHING - airing her out, different diapers, different wipes, different butt creams (like at least 5), grapefruit seed extract, cornstarch....the problem with trying to air her out is that she poops constantly so I have to keep wiping her and I can't get it dry enough. She also always poops so she is constantly in a poop diaper.

The doc has been saying the constant poop was mostly normal but by now he would have thought it would change in frequency and consistency as it's kind of watery.

He said he could prescribe a med for the rash that should knock it out and/or to start giving her some rice cereal in a bottle which will bind her up a bit and should cause her to poop less and make it less watery which will help the rash since she wont be in it all the time. She is 100% breastfed btw (I would have to pump).

On another note - she spits up ALL THE TIME. My clothes and floors are covered with it! We both change clothes multiple times/day.

WWYD? Would you just try the script first to knock it out and hold off on the solids? Would you try the rice route instead of using the meds (which I am hoping would also help the spitting up)? My instinct is to go the non-med route but I don't like the idea of rice cereal OR starting solids at 3 months.....

TIA!

ETA: I don't think she would take any cereal from a spoon - she has a major forward tongue thrust.
    Last edited by macksmom; 10-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I probably would try the cereal. I don't know that many others would agree, but I think it probably would help bind her up some so she's not always pooping and making it a little more solid. And as far as the spit up, it prob would help that, too. All of my kids were major spit up'ers. Like bad. And once they started solids it def. helped.

I still *might* try the med tho too to help kick the rash quicker. I feel so bad for babies with rashes. Jayden used to get them so bad that he would cry the minute I'd open his diaper because of the wiping.

Good luck.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

Have you tried washing instead of wiping? My nephew has sensitive skin and used to battle diaper rashes constantly, and what my mom did when they were here, was to basically leave him diaperless (she'd leave him on a washable, water proof surface, and just put a cotton pre-fold on his penis to keep him from peeing all over her). He never had a diaper rash when she was here (but did once they went back to his normal routine).

I'd take an all of the above approach to the spitting up/diaper rash problem.
    Last edited by Suja; 10-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries

My DD had an awful rash despite the use of two rash creams with every change until we switched to cloth. All the rashes went away except for some mild redness after a poop. So what I would actually try is a switch to cloth diapers before doing anything else. It could be that there is no yeast and that she just has sensitive skin. When we were using disposables Ilex Paste was great at allowing open sores to heal. I still have a ton of it but haven't had to use it either since switching to cloth. My DS's rash also went away with the switch to cloth - he got those open weeping sores regularly.

But if you don't want to do that, I'd do the cream before I would do the cereal. Some kids are just spitters (my DD was one of those, too).
    Last edited by JJorn; 10-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Have they done any allergy testing? The constant watery pooping, rash and spitting up would make me wonder if she is allergic to something. Poor sweetie, hope you can get to the bottom of things soon.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

The diaperless route is hard bc she keeps pooping and i have to keep washing or wiping. She also wants to be held all the time so she wont stay long on a solid surface. Also my other kids mess with her when she is laying stound lol.

I have some cloth diapers but they always leak on me and my dryer is broken atm! Also again, she poops so often i would have to wash them every day - i dont have that many diapers.

Btw the med is oral not a cream...

I was going to say the same thing as Katrina. Have they mentioned the possibility of an allergy?

Clear your inbox, Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I was going to say the same thing as Katrina. Have they mentioned the possibility of an allergy?
    And thirded. I was thinking maybe she has a sensitivity to dairy or something else you're eating. Dairy free is tough -- I had to do it when Noe had reflux -- but it's something to consider. As for the choice between rice cereal and a med, I guess I would choose the rice, but I'd try diet changes first. Poor little girl - those rashes are no fun.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Personally, based on my own experiences with DD's continuous exploding nappies (no nappies could keep the liquid/poo in), i would use the script to get the rash under control as and when needed. I tried all manner of elimination diets and 'poo-bulkers' with DD and it did little to help either the spit-up or poo/rash during those early days. That said, it was at least 2 yrs before she had any sort of proper - firm - poo!? She also had issue with dairy so I think that was the cause. Hopefully your DD's poos firm up sooner lol!!
    V (36) Single, working mum to DD (5) DS (3)

I would probably try the medicine to clear up the rash asap and then go from there. I know it's tough to give any meds to such a little baby, but I wouldn't want her to suffer anymore

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I guess an allergy is possible but it's only gotten worse recently.

This doc was the surgeon who performed the surgery she had at 2 weeks old so I will be going to her regular pedi on Thurs and will mention the allergy thing. Her poop hasn't always been so watery...I think she may have a cold so it's hard to tell. She does still poop all the time which the rice would help.

ETA: Sorry I am not explaining this well today! Rough day! So the surgeon suggested what I listed above. Trying to decide what I am comfortable with but will discuss all this with her regular pedi on thurs. For now the surgeon prescribed Nystatin powder to work on the rash and see if powder helps more than the creme. The oral med would be prescribed by the pedi and we will discuss the rice cereal and now a possible allergy.

She also drools LIKE MAD. I know she is a baby and they do that but this seems excessive. Soaking through multiple bibs and onsies/day. Is that also an allergy symptom?
    Last edited by macksmom; 10-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.

My dd's nose ran all. Day. Every day. And drooled a lot too for a long time. Her bibs were always drenched. She also had ezcma and raspy breathing. My mum is atopic and I think my dd had a little of all three. It did all settle down around 2yrs old, as did the milk intolerance, so might be connected. Not sure.
    V (36) Single, working mum to DD (5) DS (3)

Is there any chance she might be cutting a tooth. I know 3m is really early BUT my little sister got her first tooth at 2m.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I was going to say maybe allergies as well. My cousins son had all kinds of problems with rashes when he was little. He turned out to be allergic soy, dairy, egg, beef and peanuts. So I would probably want to rule that out. As far as your question of which is worse... I would probably go with a little bit of cereal.... I feel like that would be the more natural solution. I tend to be paranoid about meds though. The one and only time one my kids needed an antibiotic she got horrible hives all over, so I would be worried about something like that.

Adding to the vote count on checking for an allergy. The frequency of pooping, consistency, and severity of rash sound like what we encountered with DD when we found an allergy with her. Rash cleared up once the poop got under control.
    *hugs* mama good luck! Poor baby, and I know how much that breaks your heart when they have something that looks so painful

What they said! I would try eliminating milk and citrus (including tomatoes). It was a constant loose stool and rash that lead us to a milk allergy in my #2. Once dairy was gone the rash left almost instantly.

One question though, what was the surgery, and was she given antibiotics? If she was it is possible she has systemic yeast, and if that is the case I would do the meds for the rash. I'm assuming it was an antifungal?

I might try eliminating common allergens from your diet to see if it helps. Maybe even trying a different kind of diaper might help, and definitely use water/wash cloths instead of wipes, even the scent free ones can burn on open sores. Kady gets this way a lot when she sits in poops (like if she poops in the middle of the night) and when she has blueberries. Good luck! I'd try a few different things like that before meds.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I wouldn't be comfortable with adding cereal at 3 months plus now they are recommending minimizing rice cereal b/c of arsenic. Have you tried probiotics? She sounds a lot like DD1 except for the rash. She was a major spitter, had to be held all the time, drooled like crazy and pooped all the time. She was never diagnosed with any kind of problem but does seem a little sensitive to milk. I also would do like others said and use plain water to wipe her and then pat dry.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

I'm going to add to the allergy camp. Saw a GI Doc today for Libby, and what she described fits Syd's symptoms. The dairy-free is very hard, but manageable. I would give that a go. Also, try a squirt bottle with warm water so that you don't have to wipe as much. I would probably add the rice, since it will more than likely help with the spitting, too.

I hope you find something that works.

As for the drooling, both my kids started drooling like crazy at three months. Lilly would soak through multiple bibs every day. At six months, I got a Baltic amber teething necklace for Logan and within two days, he stopped drooling completely.
    Audrey (38) DH (34), Lilly (DD), Logan (DS). Breastfeeding is more than feeding. It is communication between mother and baby. It is a form of nurturing; it is an act of love.

My diet is pretty similar each day. I am doing a low carb diet but eat a good amount of cheese but not all the time. But her moods and the rash vary every few days despite a diet that is pretty basic. I am leaning towards the meds to try to knock out the rash quickly and hopefully start fresh from there...

I forgot about the arsenic! I have never used rice so I didn't even pay much attention to that. He was only recommending a tsp or something/day. Not very much. Just really to bind her up a bit. I may do a very minimal amount and see what happens.

I doubt it's teething - my other kids got teeth at 13 months! Of course it's always a possibility but it's kind of slim. Interesting about the necklace. Maybe I will give it a try.

Tonight she is absolutely miserable. I have no idea if it's the rash or gas or what.

Also the rash comes and goes but never fully goes away. I think I mentioned above that on Tues it looked great! There was just 1 tiny little spot then Wed BAM full blown redness and open sores! When I am able to dry her out and wipe her with diluted GSE that seems to help a lot but a day or 2 later it could be awful. Again, I am not sure if it has to do with what I am eating but I eat a lot of the same things each day but yet each day can be different rash-wise.

She was never on antibiotics after her surgery (which I thought was odd) BUT interestingly we had to use bacitracin on her butt for a long time and now I am wondering if that is where it started. Her surgery was called an analplasty which was necessary because her anus was located too close to her vagina and had to be moved and widened. It was awful but a relatively small procedure. There is also maintenance involved which we are still doing months later where we have to dilate her which means sticking a small surgical "stick" so-to-speak up there. It's horrible but it's something that had to be done and I am SO glad we did it as an infant because I can't imagine doing it to an older child!

Anyway, she had stitches there and we had to use the antibiotic ointment there for at least 2 weeks or so. The surgeon said she would get a viscous diaper rash because all his patients did. She actually didn't get a really bad one but she did get one. I feel like I have been battling it since then so maybe it had to do with the antibiotic ointment? I really feel like if she wasn't constantly wet and pooping it would finally have a chance to clear up. I don't know if it's ever 100% cleared up...there may have always been 1 spot or 2.

Also I have used just water and a cloth on her butt before. It has helped. I usually go back to wipes once the rash looks better.

I have changed brands on EVERYTHING - wipes, diapers, etc.

The rest of her skin is perfect. She has never had a rash anywhere else.
    Last edited by macksmom; 10-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.

I've read most PP, my only guesses would be allergies or maybe she needs cloth diapers/wipes... I exclusively BF both my girls but any time I ever had too much citrus it went through my milk and gave them horrid, open sore, bleeding rashes. I've also noticed what worked for DD1's rashes, doesn't work for DD2, I used Butt paste for 1 but it doesn't help DD2, I have A/D for her.

DD1 also has eczema and her butt breaks out the most, we use a hydrocortizone on it once a week or so to clear most of it up. We are still trying to narrow what soaps/detergents work best for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Eyes View Post
    As for the drooling, both my kids started drooling like crazy at three months. Lilly would soak through multiple bibs every day. At six months, I got a Baltic amber teething necklace for Logan and within two days, he stopped drooling completely.
    Same here! Poop and drool were all messed up for him. He teeth end from 3months until he finally cut the first tooth at 8 months.

DS started rice cereal at 3mos with pumped breast milk, and it was a positive move. I'd try the Rx course first though... Good luck!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

Had similar problem w dd. started doing EC (highly recommend). We are also DF/GF. And dr prescribed (will post back name after I lay her down). No I would not feel comfortable giving rice cereal at this age esp. In a bottle.

That is interesting because about the amber is that Savana and Kai were droolers and Sawyer never was. He's been wearing his since 4 mos. So I second (or third) that. And Am, make some room in your inbox! I am trying to send you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    That is interesting because about the amber is that Savana and Kai were droolers and Sawyer never was. He's been wearing his since 4 mos. So I second (or third) that. And Am, make some room in your inbox! I am trying to send you a pm.
    Oh ok! I didn't know I was full!

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post

Also I have used just water and a cloth on her butt before. It has helped. I usually go back to wipes once the rash looks better.

:
    Don't go back to the wipes! As much of a pain as it is, stick to wash rags and water for as long as possible. My DD never had a rash until she had a bout of bad diarrhea. I called the pedi for help, thinking they would tell me a cream to use, and they told me to stop using wipes. Worked like a charm. With her I could go back to wipes but as soon as she had a diarrhea bug I would ditch the wipes. Solved the problem.

With DS, now three months, he started with a rash at just a few weeks old. He would poop during every feeding and all the wiping irritated him. I got a pile of wash rags and a plastic container for dirties and it was gone in a day. Since he appears to be more sensitive then DD was I still don't really use wipes on him. He poops once a day now so I use wipes then to make life easier but no other time. He's had no rash issues since. Good luck!!!!

I fourth (or fifth or sixth) the allergy testing. About the drool - I think that's normal. Some babies are just big time droolers. My DD drooled a ton until she was about 6 months old. She always had a bib on for the drool, and went through a few of them a day. She was always very healthy, though; she just drooled. I didn't get her an amber necklace until she was over 6 months, so I don't know if that would have helped.

I think I second the amber necklace thing- Emme was never a drooly kid and I never even thought it could be the necklace, but she did wear one from 5 months until about 3 1/2 years old She literally never soaked a single bib or her clothes, unless it was from drinking something and spitting it back out.

It does soun like you may need to look further into allergy issues with her, but in the meantime if you have to do something about the diaper rash, I agree with the PP who said to stop using wipes. I am interested to know what wipes you are using-- ingredients in them matter (I found that out with Emme).

Other than that, I'm sort of in the cereal camp... I think. They say not to start solids early unless medically necessary, and this to me falls under that category. Antibiotics come with their own set of potential issues that can be hard to reverse- thrush, allergic reactions, even worse diarrhea and rashes- but if the cereal causes any issues you can just stop the cereal and the problem will probably go away.

Does she take a bottle or how would you give her cereal if you go that route? I was picturing mixing it with some with breastmilk and giving it to her in a syringe....