Thread: Weird sound while nursing?

Default Weird sound while nursing?

Every time I nurse Violet she makes this weird sound. Ii don't believe it matters that I am BFing her since the weird sound is not from any latch but seemingly due to how much milk she has in her stomach at one time. Here is what is happening...she starts to nurse and all is well. I here her swallowing and then I feel my let down. A few minutes later her stomach makes this weird sound. . I sounds almost like a growl I would get if I was hungry. It only happens one time per feeding. It is not passing gas or burping. This low guttural sound seemingly comes from her belly.

Does this or has this happened to anyone else? It never happened with my other three kids so it has me wondering if this is normal?
    Last edited by tyvek; 10-05-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

V has made that exact sound....but not while nursing... it happens to her right after i drip a few drops of ebm into her stuffy nose and while shes crying upset about it.... i just assumed it was a combination of air and fluid entering the stomach.... but i am not a dr and am only guessing.
    do you have a forceful letdown?

Hmmm, I don't think I have a forceful let down. It lasted about one minute and I can tell she is swallowing more quickly. But I don't know how much extra air she is taking in. The reason I don't think she is taking in extra air is due to the fact she very seldomly needs a burp. But I might be off base here.

I think it's from having an empty stomach. My baby is on formula and she makes that sound until about half way through the feeding. I'm not sure if it's air and milk but it doesn't seem to bother her. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It sounds like the milk is dropping into her stomach almost like a rumble. It doesn't happen if she feeds a little earlier than usual. Maybe you should feed her before she gets too hungry.

Yes! A gurgle or a rumble is exactly the sound. Right now I feed her every 2-3 hours on demand. I wonder if her system is just noisier than others?

My DD is NOISY! When she was just born and first month she made that sound when she nursed and when she grunted when she was asleep. It would wake me up lol
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I think air moving around in there, I've heard my baby make it on occasional too.

When my DD was itty bitty I could hear breastmilk trickling into her stomach at the beginning of every nursing session. It would last for a few minutes until she got enough in her tummy and the sound would go away. It was pretty crazy!