• Yes & then I get paranoid until I (or whoever) gets it checked

5 26.32%
  • Yes, but I blow it off as nothing because it the INTERNET

7 36.84%
  • Yes, & then I get check look it up & worry until I get the answer

7 36.84%

Thread: Just curious....

Default Just curious....

How many of you worry about something, then look it up on the internet & think OMG, I've got all of this (or he/she/baby, etc)...(as in: symptoms, what something looks like, etc..) I know its so stupid to do, but just wondering if any of you do it, KNOWING, you shouldn't & do you start to "think" something is wrong or blow it off as nothing.

There was supposed to be a #4....No, Its the internet & teh worst thing you can do!
    Last edited by jade-e-bug; 10-04-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Poll was supposed to have 4 picks

I'm guilty of that....except that I use really good resources and not google. I have had family members "having" all sorts of things. I have almost talked myself out of surgery after getting a bit too much detail about it.

Just this week I dx'd myself as having inflamed/irritated my rotator cuff and found some exercises to do for that....and it's feeling MUCH better after that for a few days. If it didn't, I would have gotten it checked out.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I voted that I blow it off, but I don't really blow it off, I just don't freak out. I feel like I'm good at evaluating resources and usually use Dr. Google to assure myself that my symptoms aren't serious and I can wait them out with conservative or comfort measures.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I am paranoid and a slave to the internet. Until I get answer, I worry Yep, I admit it!
    If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm - Bruce Barton

It's not paranoia if it's true!

I do look up ailments, not so much to freak out, but to talk to the medical professionals about it. My background is in Biology, and I can evaluate the sources and digest the information well. My doctor can tell me why I'm off base, if that's the case. I've been having a few health problems lately and we don't know what's going on. I read up a little bit before my doctor's appointment, and we talked about it. Now, we're in a wait and see mode (the easy stuff that can be ruled out has been ruled out). If my symptoms persist or get worse, we'll pursue it further with an MRI and a neurologist consult. Dr. Google never said a darn thing about what the potential diagnosis could be, the MD did (and I read up on it so I know what the possible long term consequences are).

I just use Dr Google to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I have probably caused myself a little bit of worry here and there, but I tend to stay calm until I get a chance to check with a real Dr.
    ~Andrea~

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I actually tend to get pretty good answers when I look things up on the internet, but I don't freak out also, not over health issues. I've been able to point my doctor in the right direction on occasion when things were mysterious.

I do not look up symptoms for my kids and freak out but, I do freak out for myself. I usually get checked out if I feel like something just is not right.

After WebMD told me I had Down's syndrome I started to worry less.

That being said I have googled a lot of things about this pregnancy and lose sleep at night over it. I think the Internet makes us all kinda

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    I voted that I blow it off, but I don't really blow it off, I just don't freak out. I feel like I'm good at evaluating resources and usually use Dr. Google to assure myself that my symptoms aren't serious and I can wait them out with conservative or comfort measures.
    this exactly.

After deling with years of infertility and scouring every resource for information and help, I have taken a step back from dx myself or the kids online. Well, if it is a foot issue or something non internal I will research online. After my doc has dx me or the kids with something then I will obsess and learn as much as I can about it. Dr. Google has left me worried too many times.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

The only things I turned to the interent for is to see what to do about a fever, rash, ect. I don't look to see what "this could be". If I have a unsettling feeling about something then I make an appt with the doctor. My husband on the other hand looks up anything and everything on the internet. He seems to have all kinds of problems. I can't help but laugh when he tells me something new. He's a great sport about it.