Thread: Poison Control Center call...not a big deal but kinda irritated...

Default Poison Control Center call...not a big deal but kinda irritated...

I know it's probably just protocol but...

My 2.5y/o ate pokeweed berries the other day (they're toxic). She was outside with three of her siblings (my 9y/o was the oldest one out there) within view of the house (DH and I both were home but inside).

Anyway, the 9y/o brought her to the house as soon as she saw that she was eating them. By this time though my 2.5y/o was covered in purple (looks like she was probably squishing them and wiping her hands on her clothes) and it was obvious she had been eating them since even her tongue was purple (she was wiping her tongue so I assume they didn't taste very good).

I put her in the tub and called poison control. I wasn't terribly worried but needed to know what I should do since I didn't even want to let her drink anything without getting some information first.

So I explain to the RN on the phone what happened and she asked how many berries she ate. I said I didn't know but she's completely purple so I'm assuming at least 1/4cup or however many she could fit in her mouth at once (DD is kind of a glutton, lol ). The woman gasped and said: "That many?!?" and I reiterated I didn't know for sure, I was just guessing so she said: "Oh, okay, she probably didn't eat very many then." .

Then she proceeds to take down my info, ask if the child was supervised and by who and how old the person supervising was, If she goes outside without supervision often, etc...at this point I'm wondering why does it matter and for heaven's sake what am I supposed to be doing for DD??

I interrupted her and asked if there's anything I should be doing right *now* (drink of milk, water, etc..) and she said: "Oh...just wipe her mouth out and give her sips of water...if she throws up you're not going to want it to be a lot and probably not anything you don't want to clean up ). Well, I wasn't worried about cleaning up vomit...just wanting to make sure she's going to be fine and if there's anything I should be watching for other than a bellyache.

Oy, anyway, it frustrates me that she seemed far more concerned about whether or not she was supervised while eating the toxic berries than the fact that she actually had eaten them .

While camping, one of my DDs ate my thyroid meds (I had no idea she could even reach them!)...I called poison control and had to take her to ER where they gave her activated liquid charcoal (she still developed hyperT symptoms and I had to take her back the next day for follow up...poison control called several times to check up on her). They didn't question me at all like that...neither poison control OR ER.

So is it normal for them to question like that...especially *before* they give instruction about what to do for the child you're calling about?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I don't think that's normal but I also had an extremely rude poison control experience once when Kai hate a mushroom in our yard.

I don't know about normal but it's happened to me before. I've had to call poison control twice. Once for motrin and the second time, actually I can't remember but I know the lady acted the same way towards me. It was some sort of paste that Jayden had gotten into and the lady acted like I poured the crap down his throat. She asked so many questions and I was just like I was home, but in another room can you help me?! I was ready to hang up and call the hospital instead because I just felt like she was making me feel like crap instead of helping me see if everything was going to be ok!

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

It's terrible because looking back I keep thinking maybe I should have just googled it instead but I wanted info asap and figured they'd be able to tell me what I needed to know faster than I could look it up.

It doesn't seem right to have them asking questions that hint at neglect when you're calling for their help (*especially* before they've addressed the situation). Really, if someone was being neglectful it's likely that: 1. they probably wouldn't have called in the first place and 2. They'd lie through their teeth !!!

Bridget and Jai (((HUGS)))...as if the situation isn't stressful enough, right...eesh!

I had to call once when I overdosed the kids with fluoride. After collecting all the info they told me what to do. At no point did they go into questions not related to the medical issue before they gave me answers. After they told me what to expect they asked me a few random questions like who my pedi was.

Sorry they treated you that way. Let's ace it, we can not protect our kids 24/7 and stuff like this happens! And that is why they have Poison Control in the first place!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Sakura Guest

How frustrating!

We had to call poison control about pokeberries as well (a few years ago) and the person my dh talked to was very friendly and helpful.

I tried to call them yesterday because Elle found a small bottle of hand sanitizer and squeezed some in her mouth and I was about to freak out and called them and they had a freaking auto attendant "press 1 for this press 2 for that." It was never ending and I hate those things!

So I just googled it. I will just google next time. Maybe poison control is starting to get in the social services field or something now. I usually call our nurse line for stuff like that because I have their number in my phone and they never ask questions like that.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I tried to call them yesterday because Elle found a small bottle of hand sanitizer and squeezed some in her mouth and I was about to freak out and called them and they had a freaking auto attendant "press 1 for this press 2 for that." It was never ending and I hate those things!

So I just googled it. I will just google next time. Maybe poison control is starting to get in the social services field or something now. I usually call our nurse line for stuff like that because I have their number in my phone and they never ask questions like that.
    Erin
    Wow, an automated system that's terrible !! I think I'm just going to call the nurse at the pedi's next time too (hopefully there won't be anymore next times!!!) .

Oh...and I just remembered she also said: "We're doing a survey...what kind of health insurance do you have?" ...I really wish I wouldn't have answered but it was one of those "say what?!?" situations I just dumbly told her. Not that I have anything to hide but I don't like giving more info than necessary and that was definitely not necessary information !