Thread: Anybody in the St. Louis, MO area?

Default Anybody in the St. Louis, MO area?

I'm most likely going on a business trip to MO and would like to hear recommendations of hotels that are cheap, and as close to the Edward Jones Dome as possible. Also, we wont be renting a car, so are there any places nearby the Dome (this is where our event is being held) thats good for shopping/eating/visiting? My DH will be with me, along with my almost-6 month old at the time of travel. Thanks!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I'm here - I work right downtown. There are lots of good restaurants around here. The shopping scene downtown is lacking, unfortunately, though there are a few standalone shops and a Macy's where you can pretty much get things for free, haha. The selection is terrible there, but I get most of Liam's clothes there, and usually never pay more than $4-7 for an entire outfit that was $40-50 at one point. You an also ride the metro to Union Station and there are a few shops in there, but not much. The best shopping near downtown is at the Galleria - I'm not sure if you could take the metro there or not, but it would be easy to find out.

How long will you be in town? And what kind of food do you guys like? And what is your baby's temperament? I ask because that could affect where you want to eat - Liam has always gotten fussy very easily, so that limited us from eating at certain places. Off the top of my head, some of my favorite downtown restaurants that are closer to Washington (which is near the dome) are Mango (Peruvian), Mosaic (a bit eclectic), Pi (Chicago and St. Louis style pizza - Obama even had their chef flown to the Whitehouse because he liked it so much when he was here), and I can give you more too - I just need to think about what's closer to the dome and, of course, where you will be staying will make a huge difference. These restaurants are all probably in the $10-20 per person range. There are also sandwich shops galore.

As far as hotels go, I know you said you're looking to go cheap - do you have a budget you're hoping to stay within? You could get on hotwire or priceline. Or, a lot of the hotels run specials around here - the Drury is a good place to get a decent rate, and they not only have a hot breakfast, but they also serve appetizers to hotel guests around 4 or so for free.

I live in STL county, but the only time I go downtown is for Cardinals/Rams/Blues games and the occasional business meeting. I think Heather has some good suggestions and the Galleria is about the closest shopping venue that's decent. In terms of travel, I think I would prefer to take the Metrolink vs a Metro bus (seems safer to me) but a bus can get you closer to where you want to go than the train.
    Missy

I live in the St. Louis burbs. Washington Ave is the downtown "entertainment" district, for dining and such. There are a few nice shops there. But I would 3rd the comments about taking the MetroLink out to the Galleria for shopping. Union Station is also downtown if you're just shopping for souviner tchockes. But for real shopping, the 'burbs is where it's at.

By the way, for you other St. Louis area moms, there's a babywearing group I'm a part of that's having a meetup this Saturday if you'd be interested in something like that. Search Facebook for St. Louis Babywearing, or PM for a link to the fb group.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    I live in the St. Louis burbs. Washington Ave is the downtown "entertainment" district, for dining and such. There are a few nice shops there. But I would 3rd the comments about taking the MetroLink out to the Galleria for shopping. Union Station is also downtown if you're just shopping for souviner tchockes. But for real shopping, the 'burbs is where it's at.

By the way, for you other St. Louis area moms, there's a babywearing group I'm a part of that's having a meetup this Saturday if you'd be interested in something like that. Search Facebook for St. Louis Babywearing, or PM for a link to the fb group.
    We have plans this Saturday, but what kind of things do you discuss at a babywearing group? I love babywearing and I have quite a few carriers at home (Beco, Ergo, Slingling, Sakura Bloom). So I might be interested in the future, depending on what kinds of things you do/discuss!

OP - I just remembered Rosalita's is also a good place to eat - it's Tex Mex and a bit louder, so very easy to take a baby there.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU guys!!!! So my trip isn't until Oct 31-Nov5ish...DH and I want to stay for a day there just to relax and check things out. Our Adriana is awesome. She doesn't get fussy with the foods I eat, so anythings game!! Lol. Thanks for the food suggestions.

I went on hotwire and found decent pricing at Knights Inn and America's Best Value Inn. We wouldn't be in the hotel much, so it just has to be clean and in a safe area. Is the area by the Dome safe? We are thinking about renting a car now because we have that extra day so we'd love to see what kind of things St. Louis has to offer!!

Suggestions on what we can do/see over there? I know there's the Arch, I read something about gardens to walk through (can't remember the name shoots), and I'd like to bring back something for my DD2 who's birthday will be in a few days after we get back from the trip.

Also, what's the weather like during the day/night? In Hawaii it's pretty warm, so I don't have clothes for cold weather. And 60 is freezing to me so lets talk temps

I'm soo excited for this trip!! It is affirmative right now because I was informed last night that I will be presented on stage in front of thousands of people to be honored for my promotion! I am stoked! Ok enough bragging lol

I don't know anything about Knights Inn. America's Best Value Inn I have seen - it is clean from what I can tell, but I'd just be careful. Anytime you have a low cost hotel like that, you're definitely going to get a mixed crowd, and so I'd just be sure to keep your doors locked at all times, don't leave valuables in your car, etc.

The area by the Dome is definitely safe. But, I will say that St. Louis downtown is nothing like NYC or any other place with very active downtowns. Washington is definitely the most lively at night. So I can't say enough - just use caution as you would anywhere. It's not what I'd call "unsafe", but I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around some parts of downtown alone at night just because they ARE so deserted unless something is going on in the city. America's Best Value Inn is a little ways from the dome - closer to the Riverfront, so you'd definitely want a car if that's where you stay. Unless there is another one that I'm not aware of!

You're thinking of the Botanical Gardens. The zoo here is fantastic, though hours will be limited that time of year. Your dd is a bit young to appreciate the Magic House or City Museum or I'd suggest those! Eckert's is a neat place to visit (you can pick apples and stuff), but you'd definitely need a car to go there. The Central West End or the Loop are neat places to walk around. You could go to a Rams game or to the Fabulous Fox (theatre). Here's a calendar of events, too: http://explorestlouis.com/visit-expl...11%2F05%2F2012. Maybe the other ladies will have additional suggestions I'm not thinking of!

If 60 is freezing to you, you're definitely going to want some warm clothes! The trick here is layers, layers, layers, because it can be 85 one day and 45 the next, especially this time of year! You just never know what to expect!

Big congrats to you, btw - that is so awesome!!! You have every right to be proud!!!

And Hawaii is gorgeous, as I'm sure you knew already since you live there - I'm a little jealous!! We were in Maui a few years back. In fact, it was 3 months after we lost our DD (to a genetic condition), and being there was so healing for me. It's an amazing place, and I hope we can come back many times!

Congrats on your promotion!

I couldn't find a Knights Inn near the Dome, the closest one I could find is Ferguson and you don't want to stay there. America's Best Value Inn is pretty much across the street from the Dome, but IMO, I wouldn't stay there. I'm super picky when it comes to hotels though. Is your company going to comp you for your trip? Do you have an allotted amount for a hotel? There are lots of nice hotels in the area, but they are definitely going to be more pricey.

Attractions...the Arch as you said, I think you may have been referring to the Botanical Garden. Here is a link that should help.

I would plan on freezing temps. It's hard to say what it will be like at the end of October, sometimes it's really warm, sometimes it's not. More than likely you will need some long sleeve clothing, jacket, etc.
    Missy

Not in St. Louis but I make travel arrangements there for co-workers as we have an office there. I was also going to ask if they will be reimbursing you for your hotel stay and if so I would upgrade to a better hotel. My co-workers usually stay at pricier ones not far from the airport, mostly the Parkway, which is highly rated but I know it is kind of expensive, but if they are going to reimburse you, I'd look at maybe getting a higher class hotel and just paying the difference of the reimbursement.

Erin

I too am in STL. I didn't realize there were so many of us on APA. The ladies have given you some great suggestions. I will add in that travel throughout the region without a car can be tricky at best as our public transit system pretty much sucks. I second the suggestion for Pi, the pizza place mentioned above. The Magic House is really neat, but it's in the burbs and not easily accessible via public transportation. Also keep in mind that the airport is 20-30 minutes from the downtown area, so you will need to get a taxi to/from the airport. I would highly recommend checking online for a cheap car rental, even if for a day or two, if you are going to have time to sight see and want to do a bit around town.

Quote Originally Posted by missmc View Post
    Congrats on your promotion!

I couldn't find a Knights Inn near the Dome, the closest one I could find is Ferguson and you don't want to stay there. America's Best Value Inn is pretty much across the street from the Dome, but IMO, I wouldn't stay there. I'm super picky when it comes to hotels though. Is your company going to comp you for your trip? Do you have an allotted amount for a hotel? There are lots of nice hotels in the area, but they are definitely going to be more pricey.

Attractions...the Arch as you said, I think you may have been referring to the Botanical Garden. Here is a link that should help.

I would plan on freezing temps. It's hard to say what it will be like at the end of October, sometimes it's really warm, sometimes it's not. More than likely you will need some long sleeve clothing, jacket, etc.
    Oh yeah ignore what I said earlier - I was picturing it wrong in my head! Anyway, I've never stayed there, and probably would not myself, as the others have said.

Awesome! Im going to try to bid for a car on priceline and I'm thinking of doing the Hilton by the airport....hows that area? My friend can get me a room at the Hilton Downtown, but $155/night is just more than i wanna spend. I am taking your advice though and not staying at the inns. I, too, am picky about where I stay. The airport Hilton also has free shuttle service to and from the airport so if i cant get the car for the $ im looking for, I can go back to the airport when we are ready to drive around.

Thank you so so so much! If theres anything else you think of, pls lmk!!!

The airport area is so-so. The biggest issue you'll run into if you stay by the airport is that there really isn't anything to do or see around there and your options as far as dining and such will be very limited. I'd personally stay downtown versus the airport area as there's so much more to see and do if you are downtown and you'll have to manage your way downtown for your convention anyway. The Arch and Old Courthouse are both within walking distance from the Dome. Also, there is a lot more public transportation options (more buses) available if you are downtown and not at the airport.

The Drury Inn, PearTree and Ramada downtown are suitable enough, and I think reasonably affordable. It's a pretty long way from the airport to downtown; especially in rush hour traffic.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Ok good to know...I heard the drury wasn't so good :/ I'm going to dbl check on that though. Yea downtown sounds nicer.....oh this is soo difficult. I've only been to the mainland three times LOL and it was to Cali and Nevada....good Lord!!!