Thread: pinching

Default pinching

my lil girl loves to pinch the breast shes eating from. she pinches about an inch away from her nose... this is painful for me. i have tried stopping her but then she just gets mad about it. what can i do so that she can still eat but so that i am not bruised from her pinchin me? she also scratches me while shes pinchin me. suggestions?

You could try to give her a lovie or silky blanket to rub/hold. I did this with my daughter and it helped when someone else would give her a bottle to have the lovie for her to hold onto. You could try to see if she would hold your hand instead.

Logan did that. It was a phase (a very painful one though). I would instantly unlatch. If that didn't work, I pressed his face into my breast (only had to do that once). He finally got the idea.. Then he started the biting... now we are the hitting/slapping my breast.. ugh

Though I am not breastfeeding anymore I know if a baby would bite or cause pain the wic office suggested to break the latch and say no to the baby set them down for a minute though they might cry apparently it can be effective so they understand causing pain will not get them food.

I'd break latch immediately -- same with biting.

Can you give her your finger to grab? Or maybe get a nursing necklace?

I've been dealing with pinching for MONTHS! It's sucks and it makes me hate BFing . I've tried all kinds of things and nothing works. I keep her nails really short so it's not as painful but it still hurts me. I'm gonna try what pp said. Good luck!

My dd went through that phase too. I kept her nails as short as possible. Every time she did it I would take her little hand and say "no pinch! Be sweet to mommy." And then I kissed her fingers. I tried to hold her hand while she was nursing. If she was awake and playing around I putt her down, but she even did it when she was sleeping, so I would just take her fingers off me and hold them.

I came here to ask the same question, funny. Except my son is not even 3 months old (I still giggle when I say "my son" since I have two older daughters ). Anyways, he pinches, grabs and even bites sometimes. Will he understand if I unlatch him when he pinches? At this point, he doesn't even have good control of his hands, since he doesn't grab toys, so I feel bad unlatching him for that. But on the other hand, ouch, it hurts. I think I will try the blanket idea too.

I'd give him your finger to hold onto to avoid the pinching right now, martiniqus. With him being so young, I wouldn't want to mess with your breastfeeding relationship.

I have a pincher too - don't really have a solution though but just thought I would say you are not alone. Mine likes to do little baby pinches, feels like a needle!
    Melissa Happily married to my high school sweetheart. Mom to the best boys Quinn & Owen.