Thread: Morning Sickness Tricks

Default Morning Sickness Tricks

So far the only things that help reduce my nausea a bit are to eat something and Preggie Pops. I have crackers/saltines I keep nearby in case I need a nibble, but I'm wondering what else I can do.

Anyone have any other tricks-of-the-trade that helped you with m/s???
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I've heard sea bands, b6 and unisom, real ginger candy or real ginger tea, peppermint.....zofran!

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Try high carb, high protein for the whole first trimester, it really made a difference for me. And I knew when I needed to eat even if I wasn't hungry because I started getting nauseated. I did eggs, avocadoes, greek yogurt, split pea soup in a cup that has 18 grms protein in a pinch, almond butter with apples, nuts, and keep some salty pretsels and chips on hand which really helped me a ton. Try not to let yourself get hungry it made it so much worse. Fruit seemed to help me feel better to.

Instead of saltines, try peanut butter or string cheese. Protein is way better for alleviating morning sickness than simple carbs. You need something that sustains your blood sugar levels better and keeps you full longer. Also, grazing instead of eating big meals. Just eat small amounts constantly. Nuts, cheese, eggs, yogurt. It really does help.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I never really cared for ginger before pregnancy, but I turned to "Gin-Gins" ginger hard candy to help manage nausea in my first trimester and was surprised at how helpful they were. In a pinch, mints would also help some, but not as much as the Gin-Gins.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

thanks so much ladies! I'm taking extra b6, have some candies, and am trying to push the proteins!!!! I know I have to keep eating too...and really don't want to gain too much. But at this point, subduing the nausea is most important.

You don't have to drastically increase your calorie intake to gain weight. Just eat smaller meals more often. When I was pregnant with my twins I couldn't go more than 2 hours without eating or I would be really sick. You can eat every two hours without gaining tons of weight.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I lived on lifesavers and Zofran and ate whatever sounded like it would stay down. I had most luck with cold foods.. grapes, bananas, watermelon, greek yogurt, fruit smoothies. By about 9W I was able to eat toast and english muffins which I loved but before that the texture of bread and having a mouth full of food would start me gagging. And I know it's not good for you but Top Ramen probably kept me alive lol.

This pregnancy was VERY difficult compard to my others when it came to MS.. it was all day but mainly in the evening. I also found that a cup of coffee in the morning helped as well. Even at almost 14W I struggle with it though I'm able to be off the Zolfran I get erpy REALLY easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    You don't have to drastically increase your calorie intake to gain weight. Just eat smaller meals more often. When I was pregnant with my twins I couldn't go more than 2 hours without eating or I would be really sick. You can eat every two hours without gaining tons of weight.
    Thanks!

And thanks Mama2Boys!!!!!

Today was brutal, but I tried eating some nuts...protein!