Thread: HFM Disease

Default HFM Disease

There is a confirmed case of HFM in Mira's classroom. The parents found out today, and called immediately to let the school know. DH wants to keep DD home for the next few days, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes. I'm not sure if she should skip her swim class on Saturday, and her first birthday invite on Sunday (it's a classmate, so chances are, they've both been exposed to this thing).

For those with experience - how long after exposure did your LOs get sick? How long until the kids get better? Stuff I read says that the kids can be infectious for weeks after they are better, so did you just keep them home the whole time?

Thats a tough one, I have no advice or experience with HFM but Goodluck and many

I dress myself!

Blog Entries

She has probably already been exposed. Kids are contagious prior to and through the end of the fever (well 24 hours after it is gone).
    Last edited by JJorn; 10-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Yes, she has likely been exposed but I'd still be tempted to keep her away if alternate childcare wasn't too difficult. It's really awful. I actually thought the contagious part was over once the fever and sores were gone.

Blog Entries

That is what I thought, too, but when we had it the doctor said that 24 hours after the fever they were no longer contagious. She said that they could go back to school/daycare at that point.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

This is from CDC:
    "Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness. The viruses that cause hand, foot, and mouth disease can remain in the body for weeks after a person’s symptoms have gone away. This means that infected people can still pass the infection to others even though they may appear well. Also, some people who are infected and shedding the virus, including most adults, may have no symptoms."

Blech!

I had Mira wash her hands with Hibiclens, but it's probably too little, too late.

I wanna say my DS had the fever and sores for maybe 4 days. I don't remember for sure. My son was a year old, but some of the older kids (3-6yrs) just got the spots on their feet and hands. They didn't get the fever or sores in their mouths for some reason. Another little guy at daycare who was about 1.5 yrs old at the time had it bad like my son. It SUCKED!!! My DS's mouth really hurt. I was so sad for him. So hopefully your kids will only get a mild case if they catch it at all!
    ~Andrea~

If they found out today, that means that the child probably started to show a rash/bumps (that's when I took my dd to the dr when she got it earlier this year. I'm pretty sure she came down with it within two weeks of being exposed.)

I'd say your dd has already been exposed. Even thought the dr told us the same thing about only being contagious 24 hours after the fever, we found that is not the case. She gave it to a friend's kid a few days later (she had the bumps but had not developed into blisters yet - she played with the kid the day before I took her to the dr).

My kids were not in daycare at this time, but we were told that a daycare would not take her back as long as she had the sores. Luckily she had a mild case and it wasn't too bad. They weren't completely healed for what seemed like a couple of weeks, but this was the whole process - fever, bumps and blisters. The bumps showed up within 24 hours of her having a fever and the fever was low grade and only lasted a day.
    Missy

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything unless you start to notice symptoms.

Jayden has gotten two notes home already this year that a student (2 diff times) had HFM. I didn't keep him home from school because chances are he's already been exposed. He never ended up getting it. If I kept the kids home from school, and extra curriculars every time they got a note home or someone was sick they'd never make it to school! Don't get me wrong, I def. understand the concern I just think with most things it'd be too late once you heard about it.

Good luck! I hope she stays healthy!

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

DS has had it a couple times from day care. I understand your theory of preemptive lay keeping her out, but if I kept my son out of day care or preschool every time someone else was sick, he'd never go. The pp were right: the contagious period precedes any symptoms. If she's exposed earlier, perhaps she will build immunity, versus be susceptible to it. Unless she has other health factors, like asthma or something, that would make things worse???
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I've been outvoted. The current plan is to keep her home for the next two days, and between the weekend and Monday being a day off for the school, hopefully we'll have a better idea of whether/how many of the other kids get sick by then.

Honestly she's probably already been exposed. If you want to keep her home you could especially since it's Thursday already. I hope she doesn't get it, it's not fun. And also, from experience I know it does remain in their system for weeks afterwards.
    Me DH = DS (2/11/10) DD (4/18/12)

For those that have been through this, did your kids refuse to eat/drink? What were you able to feed them that caused them the least amount of discomfort? All the stuff I can come up with are in the 'junk food' category, several of which she has never had before.

Mine didn't really refuse anything other than the day she ran a fever. But, she had a mild case and it wasn't too bad in her mouth/throat. I would probably lean towards soft and cold items like yogurt, jello, milk, juice, water, pudding, banana, etc.
    Missy

HFM showed up in my DD's day care room on a Thursday and she came down with it the following weekend (so 9 days later). She was one of the last ones to get it in her class.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Blog Entries

When my DS had it he really just stopped eating for a few days. With the fever and the sore throat he was just miserable. I just tried to get fluids in him - water and milk. He was miserable for about a week.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

My girls didn't want to eat or drink much either. Popcicles were about the only consistent thing-we make them with yogurt and fruit. That and cold water. I've heard of some people getting some kind of mouthwash from the pedi for their kids to swish around that has a bit of lidocaine or something similar in it to numb the sores but our pedi never offered it to us.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DS (and DD) just had it.

DS is 3.5 and he had sores all over his mouth and throat, spots on his bum, and just one or two on his hand. He didn't eat anything for two days, except drink milk. The only other thing he would eat was frozen yogurts (I got the stonyfield gogurt-style yogurt and froze it). On the 4th day of the sores in the mouth he was able to eat buttered bread, but nothing else. We're on day 6 after the sores and he's still pretty touchy about what he eats. He was miserable!

DD (19mo) only got 3 sores in her mouth and it never affected her eating. She took it a lot better. You barely knew she was sick except she slept the majority of the 12 hours she had the fever.

Our pedi saw him this Monday and said to keep him out of school until in the sores were gone, so we sent him back today since he no longer had visible sores. I figured also, I can't keep him out for weeks with no symptoms even though it's possible he's still infectious AND that his classmates were already exposed because it was at pickup one day that I noticed he had a 102 fever last Thursday.

[/CENTER]

Emme ate yogurts, bananas, fruit pouches, cheese, frozen homemade popsicles, etc. She wasn't that sick though, only had one sore in her mouth and none anywhere else.