Thread: Post partum umbilical hernia - anyone had/has it?

Default Post partum umbilical hernia - anyone had/has it?

It appears that I have it - my belly button doesn't really bulge but right side of it is an inni and the left one - outi. It's like something got untied on the left side. I did some research and it says that usually it can resolve on its own by 6m ppt. No pain, nothing, just a bit tender in the area sometimes. My belly was stretched all possible ways and I already had this problem before A was born. My ob said it was normal and at my pp appointment I was also told it wasn't a problem. However I know my body and I don't see it as normal!
    So, anyone has/had it? How was it treated (or not)? Thank you!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

A friend of mine had it, and had to have surgery.

I had surgery 8 months PP for mine. It was very painful though. My surgeon said that if it's a small opening and not painful they do not usually do surgery.

Lauren (29) Wife of 10 years to J.R.(30) Mom to Bayleigh (8) & Jack (3)

I had 2 hernias after having my first son, and umbilical hernia and an abdominal hernia My doctor told me it probably wouldn't be a big deal unless I was to have more children and then it could be. Since I knew we would have at least one more, I had surgery. They used mesh to take care of them. Post surgery, I was carrying my son (who weighed about 15lbs at the time). It just felt like I had done a million sit ups! The only thing I had to be concerned about was that I didn't tear the mesh right afterwards. I had my second son and didn't have any problems concerning the hernias.

I had mine repaired at 9 months PP. My surgery was rather extensive because they repaired my abdominal muscles above the hernia as well. They said that I tore through my ab muscles during delivery. My recovery was long, but I'm glad its fixed.

Thanks!!! I want to get an u/s to make 100% what is up. But the belly button atm is not normal. I know it can self-fix and/or with special exercise but first need to be really sure. Uff. I would hate to have a surgery :-/ And a mesh?
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook