Thread: Homemade gripe water?

Default Homemade gripe water?

Has anyone made a homemade version of gripe water? My mom bought me fennel seed tea but it tastes kind of awful. I am thinking of mixing it with chamomile tea and some ginger. Not sure if I should add some sweetness? Obviously not honey....any suggestions?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

I did make my own and we used a lot too. I put 3 cups of water, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 2-3 tsp chamomile, very little ginger, 1 tsp peppermint. Boil the water, our over the herbs, let them simmer for 15 min, drain and stir in 1-2 tsp of brown sugar. It was a life saver.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

The ginger I used was the powdered one from the store; the chamomile and peppermint - I would either open the tea bags and measure it or I later got dried flowers (my parents brought it from overseas) so the flower ones has to be a little more than the above measurements since it is bulkier. Does that make sense?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I forgot about this post lol.

Does it have to be so exact? I ended up mixing fennel tea and chamomile tea and a ginger slice. I was giving her some from a syringe but she got more fussy so i stopped. I actually just today dipped a cloth in it and let her suck/bite on it after not using it for weeks. I was considering just buying the store bought kind. I think she responds well to gas drops so i am going that route now...

Thanks for the info!

Now that you mentioned it, I made it lighter when he was very young. Also, adding the sugar helped with the taste as well as absorption for some reason that I now forget. We also used gas drops and they were helpful in the early months. We continued with gripe water until he was 2 when his reflux completely disappeared. He now likes all kinds of herbal teas that I make for myself. I let him drink some but he often downs the whole cup (I use smaller cups). But when he has a cold, I give him teas for cold, when he is too rowdy I give him calming teas. I like that aftereffect
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)