Thread: Newly married military wife and wondering...could I be pregnant already?

GratefulGirl Guest

Default Newly married military wife and wondering...could I be pregnant already?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. :) I'm usually a 41 day cycle. I know, every doctor I've ever seen raises an eyebrow at that, but I don't think it's so unusual. My LMP was Sept 1, had some slippery vaginal discharge on Sept 17 so thought I'd ovulated. I don't use an OPK since they're too pricey for our budget. The hubs and I were having a lovely time in bed on the evening of Sept 27 and he came inside me. Ok, so I should know not to trust myself to do math in my head "in the moment"! :) I really thought we'd be okay, but now I'm not so sure. Looking back on it, I did have some crampy stuff going on the morning of Sept 27, kinda thought I was going to start my period early. The love of my life is set to deploy to Afghanistan in the early spring, so we were planning to wait for a baby (obviously not trying too hard either way since we're not using BC). All the fertility calculators I can find online say that Sept 27 would have been the peak of my fertility this month. Really? Seems kind of late to me, 27 days after LMP. What do ya'll think? Could I be pregnant? What's the earliest I could test?
    Last edited by GratefulGirl; 09-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Blog Entries

If your cycle is normally 41 days, you would expect to be ovualating about 14 days before that so that would be around CD 27. So, yes with the start of you period on September 1 and having sex on September 27 could mean that you had sex around ovulation.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

First off, congrats on the wedding and welcome to the military life! I'm a military wife too. Secondly, any time you have unprotected sex there is a chance you could get pregnant. The only way to know for sure is to test, which I'd do two weeks after you had sex. At this point, it's only been three days so its way to early to tell, so wait til around Oct 11 if you haven't gotten your period before then. Best of luck!

FYI - I'm not trying to be rude, but never post anything on the internet about deployment times/dates or anything regarding troop movements. Please google OPSEC. Instead of saying March 2013, you could write "in the spring."
    Jennifer

GratefulGirl Guest

Thanks for the answers, ladies. Guess we'll wait and find out...
    And thanks for the reminder too, Adhafera. I'm well familiar with OPSEC, but figured in an anonymous online forum I'd be okay. I'm usually super careful though. I've edited my original post.
    Last edited by GratefulGirl; 09-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.

GratefulGirl Guest

So just to clarify...ovulation usually occurs 14-21 days after LMP if your cycle is 28-32 days, but it's better to calculate it as 14 days from my next expected period instead since my cycle is so long?

Blog Entries

Generally you ovulate about 14 days before AF so that would work as a better estimate for you in my opinion. I actually have a usual cycle of 26 days and ovulate before CD 14 based on temping and CM - as early as CD 11. Of course 14 days is just an average luteal phase (how long after you ovualte before you get your period) so that could even be wrong for you. Some women have shorter or longer luteal phases than 14 days.

If you want to have a better idea of when you are ovulating, you could always temp and track other signs - the only cost would be that of a basal thermometer. Fertility Friend is a nice site that many of us use to keep track of everything.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.