Thread: Not sure if this is the right spot....

Default Not sure if this is the right spot....

If its not, mods feel free to move it.

Anyway... I am pregnant with my first. I know I have some time to think about this (I'm only 8 weeks) but the topic came up at work and its been on my mind. I have never been religious per se, I've told people I would keep so and so in my prayers, but in all honesty - I do not pray! Now my siblings and I have all been baptized, but none of us go to church. We did not grow up in a religious household and were not forced to go to church. I have never read the bible... I don't think I believe in what it's saying. I know right from wrong and I don't need "god" or "Jesus" or "heaven" to bribe me to do the right things. This all holds true for my dbf. Now if in 10 years my son or daughter decides they want to go to church, I would never tell them no.

So as I said, the topic of baptism came up at work. A co worker said that no matter what her religious beliefs were, she would baptize her children because they should have that influence [of a higher power] in their life (or something to that effect).

What is your opinion on baptizing if you are not religious? Should every child receive some sort of blessing?

Obviously, there are billions and billions of children of other religion around the world, as well as children of no religion that go on to have perfectly wonderful lives without the help of a baptism. If it is something that will give you peace of mind, I don't see what it would hurt, however.

I don't believe it is necessary to baptize children. I don't think it is harmful either, but unnecessary. Most of the uber religious people I know were not baptized until they were adults.

My mother is very religious and feels that babies shouldn't be baptized, that baptism is something that those who chose to devote themselves to God must make on their own and that babies are incapable of making that commitment. A baptism to her and many is my family is a "rebirth" into a more religious/godly life. I actually agree with her.

Traditionally my family did do baby baptisms. I was baptized as a baby, but I think I was one of the last babies to be baptized before the idea I spoke of above came into fruition in my family. FWIW, I am not religious and am an atheist, so I don't think the baptism did any good for me to have some sort of higher power in my life.

I have been to "naming ceremonies" which are an African tradition that some people I know perform for all newborn babies. They are very beautiful and are welcoming ceremonies to bring the baby into a familial community (including extended family and close friends).

Erin

We didn't baptize. It would have been ridiculous for us to do so since DH is an atheist, and I'm agnostic.

I was considering doing something for my first daughter since at the time my parents were practicing catholics and I felt it was important to my mom. She had brought it up a few times when S was an infant. I was researching a way to do a more secular blessing since I do not believe in God. As it turned out, before I could plan it, my parents started to back away slowly from the catholic church and my brother came out and they shut that door completely and joined a unitarian (?) church. My mom never brought it up again.
    So there's a story you didn't ask for and along with that I will say that no, i do not think every child needs to be baptised.

I am a Christian and lurk in here to see what you ladies talk about from time to time, different viewpoints interest me.

I am a Children's Minsitry Director at my church, I am in charge of guiding the faith of infants to 5th graders. As a Christian I baptised my little one, but you shouldn't feel the need to as someone who isn't religious.

Children who are not baptised but show interest in church later may get baptised. We don't turn away those who weren't baptised as infants. We have older kids and even adults get baptised at my church here and there. Hope you didn't mind my input.

I consider myself an agnostic unitarian universalist. My church does do child dedications and I absolutely plan on doing one with our baby. It's a nice little ceremony where blessings are said for the life of the child, child is welcomed, parents can say hopes for the child. They are personalized by the parents and the minister. I will probably include naming my sister as godmother. I am hoping that the family gown that is something like 80 years can be worn by our baby. I might work in something about adoption into it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I agree with Ky'sMom and her families views. If my child wants to be Christian in the future and is old enough to make his/her own decisions then I have no problem with it at all

Quote Originally Posted by christianaaa View Post

So as I said, the topic of baptism came up at work. A co worker said that no matter what her religious beliefs were, she would baptize her children because they should have that influence [of a higher power] in their life (or something to that effect).

What is your opinion on baptizing if you are not religious? Should every child receive some sort of blessing?
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a spiritual influence in one's life. That said, I hope your co-worker thinks it through beyond just saying she'll "baptize no matter what" to impart the influence of just any readily available "higher power". She has her pick of a dizzying array of belief systems broken even further down into their varying places of worship (temples, churches, mosques, storefronts), each with its own form of governance to layer on top of the core belief system it's built upon. Each one's "higher power" will have a unique, profound and lasting influence on one's life. If she's starting from the standpoint of wanting "a higher power" in her child's life, she should at least take the time to investigate all of her options to be able to say she made the best choice for her child. So if, for example, she's just electing whatever church is in her zip code that all her friends/family go to to perform the baptism, she's just being a lazy thinker and arbitrarily doing what's convenient rather than what is right for her child. If one's going to base one's actions on "a higher power", that person really should know it as "THE higher power" before any action is taken.

Congrats on your pregnancy, btw!
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-06-2013 at 05:26 AM.