Thread: Major Weight loss...could this affect getting a BFP?

Default Major Weight loss...could this affect getting a BFP?

Hi ladies,
    I wanted to post in this thread and not sure if it is the right place, but I have recently lost 160lbs and really thought this would be my answer to finally get my BFP. DH and I have been ttc for over 6 years but my weight got up to 425lbs and I am 6' tall. So DH and I realized that we were not healthy to be ttc. DH lost 155lbs and I lost 160lbs. I am down to 250lbs now and still losing. I am now seeing a Naturopathic doctor and she has me temping every month and doing acupuncture. I woke up this morning to realize that AF showed a bit early, providing me with info that I have a short LP!

I am wondering if losing weight affects your cycles and if anyone has been in my situation where they have not been able to get a BFP but then have lost weight and been successful?

Thanks!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

First off congrats on you weight loss! That is wonderful!

When I was seeing an RE for the first time the conversation drifted to what I was eating and my weight. Needless to say I was stunned. After 10 years of NPP I was not pregnant. I lost 40 lbs and then I got pregnant. (started at 270 and was down to about 230). I am a firm believer, now, that ones weight and their general health are very important in the TTC dance. Charting for me helped me know exactly what my body was doing.

Good luck to you.

Also, I between baby 3 and 4 I lost about 25 lbs. one of my doctors suggested tat was the reason I got pregnant.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

I hear it is easier to conceive if you are at a healthier weight. A friend was 260 down to 180 when she got pregnant. I've also hear other stories of success on medical shows as well.

I'm not sure, but wanted to say way to go on your weight loss! To your DH too! That's amazing!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

What an amazing weight loss!

Weight absolutely can and will play a part in fertility but the how is different for each person. I have two SILs who were both quite obese. They started out within five pounds of each other. One of them started ovulating on her own (they both have PCOS) right about the time she hit 250 pounds and got pregnant just after she quit actively losing weight, at 150 pounds. The other one just reached 175 and ovulated for the first time on her own last month. They're both built the same and have very similar looking body comps but their bodies have had different ideals when it comes to fertility. The first SIL's RE told her that while the very active weightloss was key to start ovulating, he felt her stopping the active weight loss was key for getting pregnant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks ladies for all of the wonderful information! I am so glad that at the very least, we became healthy again! I know now that our new active and healthy lifestyle will ultimately benefit our future children (biological or adopted). I am really hoping to find a BFP sometime this year! If not, we will pursue adoption.

Thanks again!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

Being overweight can cause your body to produce excess estrogen (create estrogen dominance) which can lead to PCOS and/or Endometriosis. Having a better body weight will improve your body's hormonal cycle and ultimately improve your efforts to TTC. Congrats on the weight loss and GL!

Bz

Congrats on your accomplishment livliv! For both you and DH!!! I've just lost 17 over the summer, and in an ideal world would love to lose another 25-30. I'm doing WW. I believe that living healthier will help me conceive again, and am praying for you to have the same success! Dang girl, you deserve it after all that hard work! I hope you give yourself a pat on the back and lots of compliments!!!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I know for me it helped. When I was at my heaviest, I got pregnant but had a m/c. Doc told me my weight probably had a lot to do with it. After that, I lost about 25 pounds and got pregnant and stayed pregnant! I really do think my weight had a lot to do with our STC and my M/C. Congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

Congratulations! I agree with the other ladies that weight loss can definitely effect getting pregnant. Everyone is so different it's hard to say exactly how it could be effecting you. But, you are right, you will be happier and healthier while raising your children no matter how they may come into your lives!