Thread: is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

am2575 Guest

Default is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

I recently started trying to lose weight (again) Even more recently, I missed my period and took two pregnancy tests which both came back positive. I just made an appointment with my doc to confirm. This is my first pregnancy, I am considerably overweight. Is it okay for the baby for me to lose weight while pregnant? Thanks!

You shouldn't actively diet while pregnant. It's ok to continue eating healthy and exercising. Most docs recommend maintaining your weight or only gaining 11-15 pounds when you are really overweight but this is something you should really talk with your doc about. Some women do lose weight from morning sickness and it doesn't hurt the baby but most docs won't approve a weight loss plan.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

am2575 Guest

Default re: is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

Thank you! I am so new to all of this, any advice from others helps

I maintained my weight while preg with DD2, I also had Gestational Diabetes with her and was diagnosed with it early on so I was on the diabetic diet for most of my pregnancy.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Agree w above. Don't diet on purpose, that's not a good idea even if you are overweight. I'd ask your doc and go with what they think is best. Congrats!

If you are really concerned about it ask your OB if they have a dietician you can meet with.

Quote Originally Posted by rachoochoo View Post
    If you are really concerned about it ask your OB if they have a dietician you can meet with.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by rachoochoo View Post
    Agree...any diet (to lose weight or otherwise) should be monitored by a professional and overseen by your OB
    - Laura My boys: Aidan Michael-9/26/07 Riley Pearce-3/17/10
    Surprise #3...BFP 9/7/12 & Due 5/19/13 - EEEK!
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Eat as healthy as you can, and watch your portions. This isn't a "diet" - it is more like being conscientious of leading a healthy lifestyle!!! You can do it!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

Quote Originally Posted by babykenny View Post
    Eat as healthy as you can, and watch your portions. This isn't a "diet" - it is more like being conscientious of leading a healthy lifestyle!!! You can do it!
    This exactly! Check with your OB just to be sure though. Congrats!
    Leigh(36)/Matt(40)/Sonja Lily(4)/Damien Andrew(1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpeejays View Post
    This exactly! Check with your OB just to be sure though. Congrats!
    Thanks Leigh!!!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)