Thread: Date night

Default Date night

Does anyone have a regular date night with DH? Reading the blog entry on better wife or mother got me to thinking.....

My DH and I talk about needing to have a date night all.of.the.time but we haven't followed up with it yet. What about you? If you have one, how do you make time for it.

We plan a date night after DD goes to bed on a Saturday night. We order food or get take out, watch movies or DVR'ed TV shows, fool around, and generally have a nice time.

Sometimes it is interrupted by DD needing something but overall we have a good little planned date. We have no family or friends near us so we rarely go "out" for a date.

Honestly...we didn't go on dates until DD was just over 4 and DS was just over 2. We usually will drop the kids off at his dad's or have his mom come over and watch the kids. We have gone to dinner and a movie...we have just gone to a movie. We have gone out to get ice cream and done whatever DH wanted to do (it was his bday). I would really like to make a point to go on a date night at least once a month.

We have not been on a date since Feb. 2011, when my mom was in town. We have no one who we trust to watch our boys, and DH often travels during the weekends and is home too late during the week. We did recently pick up pizza and have a relaxing evening at home. We are still trying to plan something to celebrate our anniversary that was back in august.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbabyhead View Post
    We plan a date night after DD goes to bed on a Saturday night. We order food or get take out, watch movies or DVR'ed TV shows, fool around, and generally have a nice time.

Sometimes it is interrupted by DD needing something but overall we have a good little planned date. We have no family or friends near us so we rarely go "out" for a date.
    We do this pretty much every night except I cook something instead of ordering take out. The kids eat at like 4pm which is too early for DH, so we eat later, at 6ish. We usually eat while watching a movie and then either fall asleep cuddling or mess around a bit THEN fall asleep. I like it as an evening ritual.

As for date nights, we try to get one at least once a month. Because of DH's travel schedule that's sometimes all we can manage. We used to go a bit more often but when DH's mother passed we lost our go to babysitter. FIL babysits now but he's busy more often.
    Last edited by Dreya; 12-20-2012 at 03:54 AM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I like this but we both are so exhausted we go to sleep as soon as DD does. I know that we need to change some things though so we won't be so tired from just life....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    We do this pretty much every night except I cook something instead of ordering take out. The kids eat at like 4pm which is too early for DH, so we eat later, at 6ish. We usually eat while watching a movie and then either fall asleep cuddling or mess around a bit THEN fall asleep. I like it as an evening ritual.

As for date nights, we try to get one at least once a month. Because of DH's travel schedule that's sometimes all we can manage. We used to go a bit more often but when DH's mother passed we lost our go to babysitter. FIL babysits now but he's busy more often.

We usually have a sitter one night a month and mil watches the kids another night a month... So we are spoiled we usually get 2 nights a month.... I did just start leaving the baby, so the last 6 months he's come along.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

We don't do date night, but we go out pretty often now. When our children were younger, we almost never went out together both because we didn't have the money and because finding a sitter was difficult. I've been breastfeeding most of our marriage, which added to the difficulty. Often a date night included bringing the nursling. We would occasional get takeout and eat after the kids were in bed. We've always had a pretty healthy sex life. Now that our kids are older, we go out at least twice a month on an actual date and then we have many other instances where we hang out together just the two of us. We go shopping together or just drive to town and have lunch. We have 2 teenagers so we don't have to arrange for a sitter anymore. Also, since I'm done nursing and we no longer have kids in our bed, we have way more intimacy. It's kind of like being newlyweds again only better because we know each other so much better. I think date nights can be great, but if it's just too much to commit to right now, just take heart. There will come a time when you have a lot more freedom and time together. The kids being older also means easier family outings as well.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss