Thread: Calling all birth stories!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Default Calling all birth stories!

We want to invite everyone to post their birth stories here in this thread. One of my favorite things on APA is the diversity, right down to all the different birth stories!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

i've been asked about my birth story so here goes:

Declan Philip~

so after a week of tears and disappointment about my now failed VBAC, that sunday, bill and i had a heart to heart and i finally felt good about my decision. then i started to get nervous and i couldn't sleep. so finally at 3am on monday i was ordered to bed (lol). at 5:15am monday....i got up to pee (40 weeks preggo and had to pee go figure) and when i wiped there was a little blood. REALLY?!?!?!? i thought to myself.....really i'm going to have the bloody show 7 hours before my c-section? ugh....lol so i decided to go sit in the front room and see what happens. 4 steps into the hallway and my water breaks.....

so instead of a controlled breakfast at 9ish and then a ride to the hospital we go in at 6a. and it takes me til 11a to dilate to 1cm.....and there i got stuck. so we went ahead with my c-section and it ended up being the better decision according to my ob. declan was wedged just slightly left of my pelvic opening exactly as cam was. also he has wide shoulders that my ob said didn't look like they would have fit and the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. so safe and healthy Declan Philip joined the world at 1:04p on August 13, 2012 at 7lbs 15ozs. He started nursing about 45 minutes later and hasn't really stopped since.

Another failed Vbac here.
    On June 29th at 41 weeks appointment i was told to get to the hospital same afternoon for an induction. I decided to wait till 30th as there was a typhoon warning for 29th. At midnight i started having contractions and after 1 hour of 5min apart contractions i woke DH up and we went to the hospital. Since they estimated a baby over 9 pounds i was checked whether i could actually push her out. However 15 hours of labour, last 3 of which with contractions 1-2 min apart, my cervix only dilated 5mm. I was not offered any pain relief as the hospitals here don't allow it due to the fear that if there is a separation on the uterine scar they won't be able to attend to it in time. Anyway i finally started passing out. The pain localized at the scar area and we made a decision for a c-section. Our daughter was born weighing 9.2lbs. I don't regret the experience and I'm glad i got to experience the labour even though there was no desirable outcome.

Cameron Jack's birth story:

cam's birth story actually starts on monday on 1-5-09....i went in for a weekly check but that morning i had started seeing the little flashes out of the corner of my eyes and when i told my dr that it went from just a fun visit (like i always have) to very serious very quick because my BP was 140/80 and cam was still not even anywhere close to dropping. so she said point blank that my next stop was the hospital where they were going to monitor my BP for 45 min. and do blood work to see if i had developed pre-e, if so that she would take him c/s that day (which bill and i giggled about because while sitting in the waiting room we had joked about that very thing) if not.....how was thursday for us.....lol....wow.

my BP came down and the bloodwork was clear so i was sent home on bedrest till thursday (and i was mostly good about it!). so i was given 48 hours to finish all the stuff i hadn't done....because i thought i had a couple weeks to go.

Thursday(1-8-09), we go to the hospital to check in and stuff and they did more bloodwork, which i still have a nasty bruise on my arm from, and monitoring. i'm glad i was being monitored so close because i HAD started to develop pre-e so if i hadn't been scheduled for a c/s, it would have been that day anyway. they started the IV and then away we went to the OR. the spinal hurt till the anaesthetist actually put in a local to do the spinal and then away we went.....apparently he had wedged himself in really good because it took 2 male assistants (1 from my left side and 1 from the top) to push him out while my dr pulled.....

After that it started to become blurry to me because Bill had him brought him to see me and then i got sewn up. i don't remember getting to my room but then it was afternoon and i was kind of awake and still couldn't feel my legs, but my face was itchy, really bad so they gave me nubane in the IV which calmed it (i actually had 3 different times that it needed to be administered) but as soon as i could i was drinking water and apple juice (which i threw up multiple times) and i went to see Cameron in the nursery. it was so hard to see him hooked up to all the monitors and an IV but no oxygen!!! so that was a good thing. he had some fluid on the lungs that eventually cleared up and finally by the morning of day 3 he was off monitors and in my room!!!!!!!! it has been a trip since then but he is the best big brother!! also we are tandem nursing and that is a great experience too!!

Cody Daniel was born on July 18TH 2008 it was a hot 98 degrees two days later when he came home. July 16TH, 2008 I was out with my mother for lunch I felt miserable big, swollen legs, swollen feet, and hands, 180lbs awful for my 5'1'' frame. My mom thought my BP should be checked because I did not appear to "look" well. After lunch we went next door to a grocery store with a bp cuff chair to sit it my bp was 150/90 I called my ob's office they told me to go to triage for pregnant women to get checked out. On accident went to the ER instead where the doctor was a jerk and told me to never trust to store bp cuffs. He thought I was fine. He did not even check my urine or anything. I started to have cramps later that night after I was discharged. At 8am 7/17/08 I wake up with contractions I was 39 weeks. James has a doctor's appointment I stay home because I was not sure if it was poop cramps or contractions at first. I rest. 9 am James is home I tell him I think I need to go to triage I call and ask my ob where it is exactly. We figure it out. At 9:30 I am checked 2 cm and the nurse about freaking kills me with her bear claws checking my cm. I was instructed to walk for an hour I was in a terrible amount of pain. The check me again still the same I rest until 12ish then I walk for an hour. Around 2pm the nurse checks me one last time I was 2 1/2- 3cm and sent home told it could be days or even weeks. I go to Burger King get some Chicken Fries and Onion rings with the zesty sauce. I arrive home at 2:30 I chat with my mom on the phone disappointed it is not time. I have horrible cramps still and decide to take Tylenol I nap from about 2:45 to 5:30 wake up in worst pain. I call my mom to attempt to keep my mind focused the pain gets worst but, we talk for 2 hours. at 7:30pm I wake up James. Around 7:48pm we arrive at triage once again I am 4 cm and request IV medicine for the pain. They tell me sure I can have it until 6cm I got some great sleep off and on. My mom comes in around midnight. The pain gets worst but, I still fear the epidural. Around 3-4am I get to 6cm At 7:00 or 8:00 am July 18, 2008 my water was broke I go from 6-10 cm by 10ish am. Right before I hit 9 cm I cry out for an epidural. It was not too late I got the epidural I push around 10:15 ish and Cody was born at 10:48 am. 6lbs 14oz 20 1/2 inches long I barely remember having to push very much. I had stitches with him. We go home on a hot day Sunday July 20th 2008. 39 weeks 1 day

Sophia Jade was born November 15TH 2011

Fighting GD, I was warned there was a risk of still birth Around 36 weeks I started to have more frequent u/s with Sophia. Her growth was lacking so the high risk doctor got concerned . At 37 weeks he told me he wanted her out around 38 weeks and not much pass 38 weeks my DD was November 25th. He was concerned because she was growth restricted my GD numbers were always under control but, I did not gain weight which caused issues for Sophia. My induction was scheduled at 6:00AM on November 15, 2011. I had to be at the hospital (same hospital as Cody's birth) by 4:00 am. I ate dinner at Cici's pizza the night before to get my treat it as I could not eat past midnight for the induction. Dumbest rule ever. We got checked in. The nurse had me sign 1000 papers. They had "lost" my signature page for my tubal ligation that I signed a month prior. The pitocin was started at 6:00 am I did not feel hardly anything my doctor came in and broke my bag at 8:00am after that i felt contractions and requested the IV medicine again as it worked great with Cody. After an hour of that my contractions got much worst I went to the bathroom and requested the epidural I was still at 3cm as I was when I came to the hospital before pitocin. The epidural was not working right the nurse tried to give me other IV medicine to help it still was not right. The doctor came back it and he tried to adjust my epidural. My legs were numb so I thought it worked. I was still in horrible pains when I focused and breathed it was easier to deal with but, I had to pee. The nurse told me I should not feel like I have to pee because I just went I told her I am sure I have to go. I begged for a cath and she used it I jumped it hurt so bad. She told me it should not hurt and got the doctor once again. He said he was sorry he thought the epidural had worked I told him I thought so too. He said okay I am going to have to redo this completely. I panicked I looked at my stupid monitor my bp was 40/80. He pulled off the tape. A student nurse had passed out. I started to cry and hyperventilate. The main nurse told me to suck it up. I was hungry tired emotion. I think it would about 1:30 or so at that point. I explained I my nerves are just shot I was hungry, tired, I wanted to go home, the student nurse scared me. The doctor laughed and said she just needs to drop out this was the 2nd time in a week she had passed out. The epidural was finally redone and corrected. I told her I felt a lot of pressure I was 8 cm. She left the room I told James I had to push. A janitor came in I thought it was a nurse I said I need to push. My baby is coming. She said she was not a nurse but, she rushed to get the nurse, the nurse came in to check me I was full 10 cm. I started to push and Sophia was half way out they told me to stop I had to wait for Dr. H to get there. I also had a mirror this time which was awesome I could see everything. I said she is half way out please let me finish and get her out! I am not wanting to wait for my doctor! He made it there and she was right out. 2:48 PM 5lbs 12oz 18 1/2 inches long. I was told no eating because I was suppose to have my tubal when he was done with a c-section I was starving and nursing it took a lot out of me. He did not come back until 6:00pm- the doctor. He told the nurse before he came he wanted to discuss my options! I did not want to discuss anything. I told him as soon as he came in I wanted my tubal before I left the hospital. He is like that is not going to happen. I said I did not want to wait. I started to cry. This SOB made a new mom wait for her food, being hormonal, tired not eaten at that since 6pm the day before 24hrs without food. He was like "Do you want some other baby to die so you can have your tubes tied?" I cried more and told him to go f himself I'll get another doctor. I was so mad but, I went home on November 17th 2011. I apologized to him though he cussed back I am not saying I was right but, he was an a$$. I got my tubal six weeks later and it really f- ed my breast feeding to pump and dump. I was unable to produce enough milk to save for her. I am glad that chapter in my life is closed. I am glad she was born safe and sound. I would have taken 1000 freaking stitches over that crap ever again. I told my friend not to go to that doctor.
    Last edited by hotpinkmomma0811; 12-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Xander, Hayden and Lily were born just after midnight 7/12/08, I only carried them for 31 weeks 2 days. At 25 weeks I was admitted to the hospital for observation of my braxton hicks contractions. Very late that first night full on preterm labor hit and my room went nuts. In between Jason and I crying together...I mean we all thought the braxton hicks contractions were nothing and I would be going home the next day, we were so scared, Nurses and Doctors kept flying in and giving me meds. They tried 3 different meds but the contractions were not stopping. After the 3rd med failed they came in to tell me I was getting a steroid shot to help with the babies lungs and their last effort was to try Mag. That stuff was awful, I was on it for a few days...ended up getting too much of it (I couldn't see or walk,) but it did the trick and the contractions stopped...they still gave me another steroid shot though. I ended up staying in the hospital for the next 6 weeks. I was so tired of being there. At 31 weeks I was told things were looking good, my FFN test came back - and they said I could go home. 24 hours later my water broke on my couch at home, after freaking out for a min or two off to the hospital we went again. It was about 8pm on 7-11 but the Doc told us it would probably be after midnight before the Csection was under way. The hospital had to assemble enough people, and by the time they had all the medical staff (5 Doctors (2 for me 1 for each baby) the 9 or so nurses the resp tech and the anesth.) we were ready to go. Xander was born first at 12:18am, 3 lbs 12 oz and 16 1/2". Hayden was born in the same min. she was the one who had broke her water, she was 3 lb 15 oz and 17 1/2". Lily tried to hide, but it didn't take them long to get her out, she was born at 12:20am, she was 3 lbs 7 oz and 18 1/4". Lily was having trouble right off so they got her on CPAP right away, we didn't get to hold her for 4 days. We got to hold Xander and Hayden one very quick time each before they started having to work too hard to breathe and were put on CPAP for 4 days too. The NICU is a roller coaster, they had good days and not so good days, but thankfully after the first 7-10 days, which had some scary stuff go down, they were pretty much feeders and growers. Hayden came home after 26 days she had gained a pound and was 4 lbs 15 oz when she went home. Lily stayed for 33 days and was 5 lbs 2 oz when she came home. Xander was last home when he was 35 days old and 5 lbs 7 oz.

Jericho was born 12/31/10, I carried him for 39 weeks 5 days. He was a failed VBAC, 12 hours of low dose pit, no food, zero progression and I couldn't take it any more. The Csection was done the next morning and went great, funny thing he was born at 7:12am, the trio's birthday is July 12th. The same MFMs that cared for me and delivered the trio were there again for Jericho. I love my Doctor...hope we get to go back to him one more time Jericho was 8 lbs and 21 1/2". He never left my side, and nursed for the first time in the recovery room...with the nurses help because I was shaking too badly to position him. The whole experience with Jericho...pregnancy, birth, going home with us, was all so different from the triplets. It was really nice to get a more "normal" experience. If we do get to do it all once more I will try again for a VBA2C if my MFM will go for it. If not it was be CS number 3 for me which will be OK too.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Evelyn's Birth Story- my daughter and second homebirth

I spent the week prior to Eve’s birth dealing with nausea and headaches. Come Wednesday August 15th I was concerned enough that night to go to visit the local L&D to rule out something more serious. By the time I went in it was after midnight on Thursday. I was told they couldn’t do much for me since I wasn’t a patient, but I was monitored for a bit. Blood pressure came back higher than I am used to seeing, but still within normal limits. Heart rate and everything was fine. They never checked a urinalysis which didn’t occur to me until I was already on my way out. I was contracting on the monitors so the nurse checked me and I was 3-4 CM dilated and 90% effaced. At 35.5 weeks I was 3 CM dilated and 70-75% effaced so some progress had been made in almost a month.
    Thursday I felt better, but was still exhausted from not really sleeping much that week. That evening the hubby, boys, and I went for a walk down to Dairy Queen for happy hour and back. It was a beautiful day out. When I turned my best friend, Ashley, picked me up to take me out of the house for a bit. We went to a couple stores before hitting up El Portal for some yummy fajitas. Afterwards we hung out at my house for a bit before she left to call it a night. I was in bed by 11:30p.
    Shortly after midnight on Friday August 17th, I kept waking up just feeling uncomfortable. I’d go to the bathroom and come back to sleep, but my uterus felt irritable so I wasn’t getting a good, restful sleep. Shortly after 4 am I got up again to use the bathroom and decided to check some websites on my Kindle before trying to sleep again. It was probably close to 4:30 am when the first real contraction hit. I squeezed Chris’s hand while lying there. Decided to go get in the shower after I had another couple contractions. I woke Chris briefly to let him know I thought I was in labor. Started to time them once out of the shower and they were 2-3 minutes apart, 30-45 seconds in length. I woke Chris up and told him he needed to get in the shower and that we needed to get set up. This was about 5 am. Called our midwife at 5:21 am and she told me to check back with her in about half an hour while she got stuff ready. At 5:35p I had started to get bloody show. It was also about this time that I think my water started leaking. It was subtle so I am not entirely sure when it actually broke. I just started to feel gushes increasing as time went on.
    At 5:49 am I checked in with the midwife and she was on her way. I managed contractions using the birthing ball as walking or being caught standing during a contraction made coping with them difficult. Hubby called our birth photographer and friend, Steph, just before 7 am and she arrived not too long later. We sat and chatted between contractions and provided an added distraction that made coping easy. About 8 am the midwife arrived and when she checked me I was 8 CM. I stayed in bed from that point on in a sitting position as lying down was quite uncomfortable. Ashley arrived just before 9 am. We all just sat around and talked between contractions. Some browsed the net on their smart phones or played games and I just relaxed. Midwife was either knitting or crocheting. During a contraction I would squeeze Ashley and Chris’s hands which really helped. Everyone commented on how well I was doing and my midwife said I was one of the most elegant laborers she met. She even wished she could have been a bit like me in her own births. I never yelled or screamed or got irrational. I stayed very calm and just focused on my breathing when I needed and was cheery and even made jokes between contractions. The positive and relaxed atmosphere really helped get me through the labor and birth.
    Sometime around 9:30 am I was ready to try pushing. The contractions had changed and the pressure had increased. I still had a small cervical lip left. Midwife gave me three choices: She could push the lip out of the way while I pushed which would be painful, wait until it went away on its own, or push past the lip. I decided to go ahead and push past the lip on my own. I pushed for maybe 20 minutes (maybe less- will edit once I see the midwife again) before Eve entered the world at 9:57a. Hubby cut the cord after it stopped pulsating and ended up getting sprayed by some of the remaining blood and the look on his face was a good laugh for everyone. Placenta was delivered about 10-15 minutes later and the midwife stitched up my first degree tear. Then Eve and I were off to the bathtub for a nice warm bath and our first nursing session. Probably stayed in there a good half an hour or so before we got out and dressed. Eve weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces and 20 inches long. Her head circumference was 35 CM (13.78 inches). She is nursing well and just an adorable little chubster with a full head of black hair.
    Last edited by MamaKat; 09-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

Samuel's Birth Story- my first son- A medicated, augmented hospital birth

My water broke at approx. 9:50pm Wednesday night (July 2). We arrived at the hospital at 10:10p which is when my contractions began. I wasn't dilated at all but was effaced, just not sure how much. The nurse didn't say. I labored on until about 3am when I requested my first dose of IV pain meds so I could sleep. That wore off around 5am when I got another IV drug. At 7:30a, they started pitocin because I was only 2cm, but 90% effaced. Chris had to run off to feed the cats so I took another dose of IV drugs. By almost 11a, I was 5-6cm and could get my first ITN or walking epidural. It was heaven. The ITN made me really itchy which is a side effect. (I vomited once sometime in all of this- possibly transition.) It began to wear off around 1p so my nurse, Jenn, suggested that before I got another ITN to use the bathroom. Well, I couldn't. Thats when we discovered I was 9cm and still 90% effaced! The anesthesiologist hurried back to give me the second ITN because trust me I could feel the urge to push. I was given the go ahead to begin pushing at 1:30p, but before that they inserted a catheter to drain my bladder quick and man was it full from all those IV fluids. I never did fully efface so they had to hold the remaining lip out of the way. Samuel Ian was born at 2:21p July 3, 2008. Less than an hour of pushing!!! He was 7 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces, 21 1/2 inches long.
    Last edited by MamaKat; 09-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Elliott's Birth Story- my second son and first homebirth

I had been having contractions off and on, almost nightly since about 35.5 weeks. They varied in intensity, sometimes nothing more than braxton hicks contractions. I needed to make it to 36.5 weeks to have my homebirth. At 36 weeks, I was 3-4 centimeters dialated and 80% effaced. Neither of my midwife, Sheryl, and I expected to make it much longer. By the time I hit 39 weeks I was miserable, and disappointed. It was officially the longest I had ever been pregnant and I had fully expected him to arrive prior. I was 5 centimeters dialated at my 39 week appointment and so I just kept waiting.
    The day before he was born I fell asleep with Sam when I put him to bed at 8pm. I was just so exhausted. When I awoke later, I moved to my own bed. I slept very lightly and every couple hours got up to use the bathroom. Every time I woke I had labor on the brain. At 4:30a on June 11, 2010 I awoke for the final time because I was uncomfortable and decided to get on the computer. As soon I sat down I decided to get something to eat and as I headed into the kitchen my first contraction hit. I grabbed a slice of bread and headed to the shower. Another contraction hit only a few minutes after the first one so I jumped out to go wake Chris up and have him time the contractions. I munched on my slice of bread while I showered, Chris recording the time each contraction started. They were 2-3 minutes apart! I had Chris bring me my phone and I immediately called Sheryl around 5am. No answer. I called our doula- no answer. 15 minutes passed and I called Sheryl again and she finally answered. She was on her way as soon as she got dressed. Since she was at home that put her at 2 hours away.
    I kept trying to find comfortable positions to work through the contractions. Walking made the intensity and frequency of the contractions increase so I was most comfortable in stationary positions. I sat on the birthing ball, got on my hands and knees on the floor, hugged a pillow while kneeling on the floor, leaning on the couch cushions. I even took another shower. For awhile I leaned against Chris while propped up in bed. About 6:15am I had bloody show. Riley, our lab, needed to go stay at the clinic for boarding and the initial plan was to take her but that soon went out the window because there was no way I could sit in a car or walk much. I called a co-worker to pick her up about 6:45. My co-worker later told me that she was surprised at how “talkative” I still was. Shortly after she left, the intense rectal pressure and nausea picked up. I’m pretty sure this was transition. I decided to take another shower.
    After my third shower I didn’t bother getting dressed. I laid on a towel in bed on my right side, moaning through contractions. I had words of encouragement posted throughout the house and read the one nearestest my bed over and over. I kept trying to visualize riding a wave or climbing a mountain, but it got to the point that the rectal pressure was so intense I couldn’t focus. Sometimes I had to yell and sometimes just “mmmmm” was enough to get through the contraction. The nausea and pressure continued to intensify but I never vomited. Around 7:15 I kept hoping Sheryl would arrive soon as I wasn’t sure how much longer I could go. Not long before she had called to check in saying she was only an hour away. At that point some contractions were 1-2 minutes apart though some still came every 3-4 minutes. I did a couple practice pushes on my side during a couple contractions to see if the intensity let up. It did a little, but I held off on pushing. Sheryl finally arrived at 7:45 and began to set up. She checked his heartrate with the doppler when she got there and then checked me. I was complete at 10 centimeters and ready to push. I kept apologizing because nothing was really set up. Chris had started to set up the living room by putting plastic on the couches but I needed him for support so he was unable to finish.
    She checked his heartrate during a contraction and then gave me the go ahead to start pushing. I don’t recall how many pushes or when I started, but it wasn’t long at all. At 8:02 my water broke and at 8:04a our baby boy entered the world! I was in shock. It was only minutes later that our doula called and Chris informed her that he had just arrived. Chris cut the cord once it stopped pulsating. We took a few pictures of him while I held him wrapped in a towel while she sutured up my second degree tear. Then I delivered the placenta at 8:15. While holding him we debated on what to name him. Then it was time for me to take my fourth shower of the morning. I was still undecided- it was initially between Elliott Kael and Jace Andrew, but then other names kept racing through my mind. I couldn’t decide! I think part of it was due to the shock. Chris finally picked- Elliott Kael Bennett.
    Once I finished my shower, I got dressed and headed out to the living room to start our very first breastfeeding session. He latched on great. Sheryl commented that when she spoke with me on the phone that I was coping so well that it was hard to believe I was so close to having a baby! He was 8 lbs, 14 oz. 21.5 inches long with a head circumference of 36 centimeters. My dad and sister came up not much later with Sam just as Sheryl was leaving. Sam was unsure what to do with Elliott, but gave him two kisses and then just ignored him. He then went back downstairs with my dad and sister so we could rest. Grandma Wava stopped by to visit and then later my dad returned with my grandpa.
    If the midwife would have arrived sooner, Elliott may have arrived 30-60 minutes prior to when he actually did. My active labor phase was 3.5 hours long. I also wish we would have been able to take more pictures during the labor and birth. Everything just was so fast. I loved my homebirth and would gladly do it again.

Default My Breach Birth Story

My Birth Story…
    Friday I had gone to the hospital after 3 hours of contractions every 6 minutes only for them to stop completely and to be told that it was “false” labor. Monday I had an 8:30 am appointment with my OB. I was still 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced and for the first time I had an uncomfortable exam. He told me that I might bleed (I didn’t) that I might have period cramps (I didn’t). That afternoon I realized I had Braxton contractions about every 10-15 minutes apart. But they did not get worse or stronger or painful. At 10:pm I went to bed. I woke at 11:pm and 1:am from contractions that made me want to pee. Each time I went back to sleep. At 3:30 I woke to a similar contraction and visited the bathroom, but when I tried to go to sleep I had another contraction that was a little painful. When another contraction came and there was discomfort I got out of bed to time them to see if they were still 10-15 minutes apart. I had one similar contraction and then I had a painful contraction. I had to stand and sway and noticed that they were 7 minutes 40 seconds since my last Braxton contraction.
    I had three more stand and sway contractions. It was around 4:30am. and my water broke after my 4th slightly painful contraction. I had planned to wait until at least 6:30 to wake my husband and call my mom to come watch the kids.
    I quickly woke my husband and jumped into the shower and discovered that my water had meconium in it. If I got out of the hot water my contractions were more painful so I stayed in the water until my husband had both kids packed up and ready to go.
    I had 2 or 3 contractions while I was getting dried and dressed and then one more as I was getting into the car. By this time the contractions were very painful for the duration of each contraction causing me to moan…
    The hospital is about 9 min away from our house and I had another contraction in the car. I turned up the radio so the kids would not hear me. To which my 4 year old daughter says, “Mom, we heard you.” After we made it to the hospital I had another contraction as soon as I got into the wheelchair. My kids were put on my lap and I was pushed to L&D where I had another contraction where I could not answer any questions until it had passed.
    No rooms were available so they put me into L&D triage where I had to go to the bathroom. I had BM’s after BM’s and really long contractions. The nurses came into the bathroom because I would not get out. While I was in the bathroom the contractions became very intense. By this time I had asked for an epidural a good half a dozen times. My kids are finally picked up by my mother.
    I make it to the triage table and the nurses are trying to get the monitors on me but I continue to contract and won’t let them touch me. I turn to my husband and cry, “I’m pushing!” The nurse demands to check me and says, “I don’t feel the cervix and I think I feel the bottom.” At this point the nurse tells me that I will not be able to get an epidural. I freak out! Actually, I completely panicked as I am afraid that I will have another horrific birth like my first daughter’s.
    They move me to a room that same minute. It seemed like my contractions are one on top of the other and I can barely catch my breath. I am hyperventilating and moan/yelling with each pant. My Dr. appears and gives me a nerve block which I guess helped but I still felt intense pain with each contraction. My husband says that I was able to catch my breath and was able to get my breathing under control. My OB then gave me an episiotomy.
    The Dr. tells me if I’ll feel better to push to go ahead. At the same time I start to push. I push and push. I have to keep my eyes closed because I was trying to hide from my pain. It felt like I was trying to birth an entire stalk of banana hands instead of a watermelon.
    After I start delivering the baby I finally get relief and I ask my husband if she was delivered and he says, “No.” I then realize that the baby is all out but her head and feel tons of fear for and so with the next contraction I push with all of my might and she was delivered.
    Eleyah was born at 6:24am. It was 3 hours since I woke. One hour since we had left our house. As soon as I said, “I’m pushing.” My husband texted my OB (a longtime friend) to let him know where I was since the nurses hadn’t even checked me. After the birth my husband tells me that on my way to L&D we passed a Dr. who was in the hall who if my Dr. didn’t get there when the baby started to appear he was prepared to take me up for an emergency C-section.
    I think if I had been more prepared for the intensity of a quick delivery I would not have panicked so much. But my labors were 22 and 23 hours not 3! The pain was intense but still not as bad as my first delivery.

Cool to read Misty! Congrats!

Jonathan's birth story

At first we had a scheduled c-sec for Jonathan at 39 weeks because he was breech at 36 weeks, but when we went into the hospital at 5 to get started they did an ultrasound and he was head down so we went home.

Jonathan was eventually born at 41 weeks, 6 days. Because I had gone overdue they thought it best to induce me, so I went in as scheduled and started out on a low dose of pit. I dilated a couple of centimeters and had contractions but for hours nothing really went on so they kept upping the dose. After 24 hours they decided to back off the pit and let me rest with a cervadil in. I was finally allowed to eat, I'd been all this time on just ice chips. The next morning they restarted the pit and started with IV penicillin as I was GBS +. The penicillin was what I really remember, it was cold from the fridge and burned every time. I dreaded every 4 hours. I was having strong, miserable contractions on no pain meds but only dilated to 4.

After another 12 hours of this the docs started discussing c-section for failure to progress. By then I was so exhausted that I just told them to take me away. I preemptively asked for an epi even though the monitors were not picking up my contractions at the time because I wanted to lean on my husband instead of getting a spinal in the theater. After the epi they took me back, I barely remember the c-section as I was so tired and out of it. I was really grateful that it was all over. Jonathan was 7lbs even and 20 inches long with APGARs of 9. Jonathan had some trouble latching because I had flat nipples, the LC gave me these nipple hat things to wear when I wasn't nursing. We had a hard time nursing for the first couple of weeks but never once went to formula It got better.

Daniel's birth story

Daniel was born at 39 weeks. He was an elective repeat c-section. My experience this time around was much easier and much more positive. I went into the hospital at 5 am as you do for scheduled c-section, got all prepped in a triage room then they wheeled me back at 7ish. The only thing I disliked was that I had to have the spinal without my DH. For the IV and the spinal both I cried and cried and cried because I'm a crier, I was fine once they were in. I remember the whole surgery, got the shakes from the meds and felt a little bit sick but it was quick and I got to hold Daniel in recovery right away. He was 8lbs 1 oz and 22 inches long with APGARs of 9. We stayed in our room for 3 days I think it was and Daniel never left me. I felt awesome and recovered fast. Daniel nursed like a champ with none of the issues I had with Jonathan. Definitely going to go this route for #3.

Both kids stayed with DH and I the entire time, they roomed in and we wouldn't allow them to go to the nursery because we chose not to circumcise them and we wanted to make sure our wishes were respected. Even though we had that in our birth plan with Jonathan, the nurses kept asking me "Who's doing your circ?" "Do you want us to take him for circ now?" etc etc. It got really annoying. With Daniel I wrote on the plan in big red type "WE ARE NOT CIRCUMCISING" and we weren't asked about it
    Last edited by Dreya; 11-10-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Grayson's Birth Story

Because I had GD, my OB did not want me going past my due date. She wanted him delivered in the 39th week. Since I was barely dilated 1cm, I had to go to the hospital the night before the induction to have a catheter put in that would dilate my cervix. DH really thought it would be fun to have G's birthday be 10/20/2010, so I went in around 8pm on 10/19 to have the catheter put in. By midnight, it was in and DH and my mom left so I could get some rest. At 4am, the nurse came in and started the Pitocin. DH and my mom arrived around 7am, and my OB broke my water around 7:30am to get things moving faster. I ended up getting an epidural around 10-11am only being dilated 3cm (yes, I'm a wimp). It was a long, slow labor. I didn't get to 10cm until close to 10pm. I pushed for about an hour and half, and he wasn't making any progression. They decided to give me meds to go into passive labor so I could rest for a couple of hours. Best thing ever as I got to sleep for a couple of hours- I was so exhausted. But, it meant we missed our hoped for birthday.

After my "nap" I pushed again for over an hour with no luck. My OB decided it was time to bring out the vacuum. She said she'd only do it for 10-15 minutes due to the risk of brain damage, and if he didn't come out, I had to have a C-section. We were hitting close to the 15 minute mark (twice the vac came off his head and she ended up on the floor). She asked me to push a 4th time during a contraction and out he came. It was literally the last push she was willing to give me before taking me to the OR. Grayson Matthew was born on 10/21/10 at 3:58am weighing 8lbs, 10oz. He was 20 inches long.

G had some trouble breathing initially so they took him to the NICU for assessment. They ended up giving him antibiotics and brought him back to my room. He had a little trouble latching at first but we eventually got the hang of it. A few hours later, they came back and said his infection was worse than they thought and that they would have to take him back to the NICU to be admitted. They also had us sign forms to have a spinal tap done that day to rule out meningitis. Fortunately, he did not have meningitis, but it turns out he did have Group B Strep. I tested negative for it and was never given the antibiotics beforehand. He spent 7 days in the NICU before his pediatrician pulled some strings to get him moved to the pedi unit so I could stay with him in the hospital and establish breastfeeding better. G & I spend 3 more days together in the hospital before he was released.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Any new moms have any to add?
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

So I know not many people have posted on this in a while, but it's fun to share birth stories, so why not? This is my first pregnancy/birth.

July 3 evening. (Baby due July 9) Had some strong contractions. Went to the hospital around 6pm. Was there for a few hours. Was dilated to 2, but they said I wasn't progressing or in enough pain so they sent me home. However, I couldn't get through a contraction without screaming, so I certainly thought I was in enough pain! I was really hungry after we got out of the hospital and wanted to go to a diner to get some food. I really wanted to go in and eat, but my husband said that we would freak out the whole restaurant because I kept screaming and grunting with every contraction. So we didn't go, but stopped for some fast food.

Got home. Took a hot bath to try to ease some pain, stood up and my water broke while in the tub!!! No clean up! (But this was like 1 1/2 hours after being released from the hospital. Stupid!) I yelled to my husband that my water broke. He said "Are you sure?" Of course I was sure!!! I had like gallons of fluid coming out of me. My husband came into the bathroom (when I'm still gushing fluid), looked at me with disgust and said "Ugh. That's more disgusting than gutting a deer." (My husband is quite the hunter.) He's lucky I'm not too sensitive about that stuff. Hahaha.

We got into the car and then my contractions were uber painful. My husband thought I was going to break our vehicle. Called my mom and she said it's common that contractions get more painful after water breaking. (Didn't know that, but makes sense.) Anyways, I started to have a feeling like I had to poop. That really worried me because I had heard that is the feeling when you have to push. I told my husband that I thought I had to push. We were both kind of frantic. He didn't know what to do. I yelled to "JUST GET THERE!" He went like 100 mph. It turned out that I didn't have to push. Just farted a few times.

Got to the hospital. You get to a room pretty quick and you're hugely pregnant and screaming. After signing a bunch of papers to get an epidural, I got one about an hour after I arrived to the hospital. Sweet relief. Man, do those things work wonders. By like 3 in the morning (or so) I was dilated to 7 (which was good). But I stopped dilated after that. They gave me some Pitocin to try to speed up my dilating (around 6 in the morning). That didn't work for me very well. Went until about 11am before they saw any change in my dilating. But at this time I started getting a fever.

I kept shaking. I wasn't quite sure why. I didn't feel very sick, just in like a daze or dream or something. Well, my fever kept going up and I was soon on antibiotics. They had me start pushing around 2 pm when I was finally dilated to 10. Didn't make much progress. Didn't really feel all there. My fever kept going up. Went up to 104 degrees. I kept shaking too. They were monitoring her heart rate and it started going up. My doctor was getting worried. She said that she was going to try to vacuum her and if that didn't work they were going to open me up (c section). I am crying writing this because it was really scary, but my husband and I didn't have time to be scared or worried. We just had to do whatever we could.

So vacuuming isn't a very safe thing to do. It's more used for emergencies now. They only were going to try to vacuum her for 5 contractions. My doctor made sure I understood that I only had 5 contractions. I was all there. I knew what I had to do and I gave it my all. I was determined to get this girl out. Didn't want a c section. So I pushed and they pulled and on the 5th contraction she was out. Praise the Lord!!

I got to hold her and nurse her shortly after she was born (15 minutes or so). She was born with a slight fever and they wanted to monitor her well for a little bit. Her fever came down quickly. Mine took a day. They didn't some tests on her to make sure she didn't have an infection. She didn't. I did. I was just thankful for my baby. I didn't care how I felt.

That's my story!! Beautiful baby girl, Alexa, is almost 4 months. Happy and healthy. I LOVE being a mom.
    Katie DeBoer

The Best for Pregnancy, Mom, and Baby
    http://thebestpregnancy.com/

Oh, she's a July 4 baby. We watched fireworks that evening from the hospital.
    Katie DeBoer

The Best for Pregnancy, Mom, and Baby
    http://thebestpregnancy.com/

Hi Katie, congratulations! Thank you for sharing such a touching story.