Thread: New Dieter Here!

Default New Dieter Here!

Hello!
    I am done having kids and finally am going to lose the baby weight! I started pregnancy #1 at 123 (just out of boot camp--- pretty unattainable for me in my present lifestyle). Gained 50 with DD1, lost 30. So I was around 145 when I got pregnant with DD2. Gained 40 to max out at 185. My goal is 135.... 10 above my lowest ever. I started dieting four weeks ago and have been very good and very bad. Week One: good, Weeks Two and Three: bad, Week Four: good. So I am down 6 pounds in 4 weeks. Pretty good!

I'm breastfeeding, so I have to be careful about restricting my calories too much. I eat between 1800-2600 calories a day. 2300-2600 will maintain my current weight, and 1800-2300 will result in a pound loss a week. So I figure that way I can have bad days and still not gain. I like to know the maximum calories so I can "cheat" without gaining. Also, I'm exercising (my hips are still messed up from pregnancy, so all I can do is elliptical and weights). That's my plan!

Here's what I want to use this forum for: to post my weekly weigh in and have some accountability!

Thanks for reading! Before shots (2 months post partum):
    IMG_1600.jpgIMG_1601.jpg

Any advice?
    Jenny
    Last edited by Jenny0802; 08-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Starting weight: 169
    Week 1: 164.5
    Week 2: 162
    Week 3: 168
    Week 4: 163

Saw 160 this morning! Can't wait to get into the 150s!

Week 5: 161 8 lbs down

Thanks Cuthbert! I am having a bad couple of days.... I have been overeating like crazy. Just buying bad things like cookies and chocolate and eating them all at once. I need to get back on track but the sugar is so addictive! Any advice???
    Last edited by Jenny0802; 08-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Let it go. We are all human, after all. Are you on MFP? If so, try entering what you're eating, *before* you eat it. You'll get some perspective on what you're doing to your diet that way, before you do it.

If this is a result of not eating chocolate and cookies at all during all the previous weeks, then perhaps the better way for you to do it is to set aside some calories on a regular basis for an indulgence. If you do eat them in moderation and it's only making you go off the deep end, then quitting them cold turkey might be the best answer.

yes, it's whenever I give myself a "cheat day" or allow myself just one treat... then I go on a sugar bender for days. Maybe you're right, and I need to just go cold turkey. It just seems so hard! And I want to believe everything in moderation, but I have never really worked that way....

You are doing great! Check out my before and afters/still going at the end of the pictures thread. I have continued to tone up and lose a few more pounds since that last picture but I also started at 9 weeks pp in the first pic. I am now down to what I weighted in middle school! NEVER thought that would happen!
    As far as your cheating goes I would suggest just getting it all out of the house! You can't have it if it's not around. I don't even buy treat type of things for my boys because I can't help myself (and truth be told, they don't NEED them either!) If you really want something try making homemade versions with healthier ingredients. I really like http://www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com. I agree that seeing the numbers on MFP really helps keep me on track with my nutrition.

Week 6: 164 3 lbs up, 5 down total

Feeling very discouraged. I had a terrible week with food, and weigh-in today was after my anniversary dinner last night at Melting Pot, where I ate everything. But.... It's Monday, I'm back on track. All I can do is try again, I guess. It seems like I do well for about two weeks, then derail and have a bad week. I mean, 5 pounds in 6 weeks isn't bad... I just wish it was steady instead of up and down like that. What do you all do when you want to eat something bad? How do you tell yourself "no?"

I always have one cheat day a week (not pregnant of course). Or you can have one cheat meal a week. Sometimes if I crave things like a candy bar, I will buy it and take a bite and immediately toss it. When you're faced with temptation remind yourself how you are going to feel after you eat it. You will eventually get to a point when you don't want all the junk, it takes time to break bad habits. I am the worst about sweets after pregnancy. I hope I don't fall into the same trap I did last time.

I'm not sure what you're eating, but you may need more filling calories. Do you have meal plans or do you wing it?

Thanks for the responses and ideas.... I'm doing better now, I guess my willpower is back. Maybe it's not too bad to have an off week every now and then, as long as I'm still making slow progress? I do a lot of the things you all suggested.... planning out my day, tracking my calories. I think I need to eat the same (or almost the same) thing every day. When I go to work and have everything planned out from breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, then I do well. I guess I'm just learning what type of dieter I am; what works and what doesn't. I'm also going to change my weigh-in day to Fridays instead of Mondays. I think that will make it easier for me to be motivated on the weekends.

Down 10 lbs today!!!! Now I have to keep it up!

Week 7: 158.5 yay!!!!! 10.5 lbs down!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny0802 View Post
    Yayyyyy! Great job!!!

Thanks, Darie!!

I've been having a weird few weeks... I started a new "diet" of cutting out most processed foods, focusing on veg, fruit, meat, nuts, oils, and very few grains/pastas. I lost weight REALLY quickly when I started it, like a pound a day, even though my calorie intake hadn't changed at all. But after 5 or so days, my breastmilk output totally dipped and it scared me. I was having to supplement with pumped frozen milk after she would nurse and my breasts were empty and she was still hungry. So I went back to eating normal (added back carbs and sweets) and my supply came back. So I've been up and down with the weight for a few weeks. I think I've basically maintained after going up and down 3 pounds in both directions. It's stressful trying to lose weight while breastfeeding bc losing is definitely way less important than nursing. It sucks bc the healthier way of eating produced less breastmilk. So weird. I wonder if it's the sugar my body needs to make the milk? Anyone know? I hope I can find a nice balance. I'll weigh in tomorrow and post.
    Last edited by Jenny0802; 09-23-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Week 8: ???
    Week 9: ???
    Week 10: ???
    Week 11: 160

Hoping to get back on track. I want to take 12 week photos and see the progress.

laylaseidel Guest

Great progress! Have you tried yoga and meditation? I tried them and they are great for post partum. I lost my baby weight and I'm somewhat back to my original shape thanks to yoga.
    Last edited by laylaseidel; 11-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.

For me, I don't mind about the methods or figures. I just eat normally but cautiously since you are baby breastfeeding. So my advice would be eat normally, then do some workouts. Sometimes, over thinking about things will only make things worse. Good luck!