Thread: Update on my hospital stay

Thumbs up Update on my hospital stay

Sorry I just quit posting updates. My phone wouldn't let me post here for a while and my computer hasn't been on till today.

I was in to the ER last Sunday night and they totally botched the whole thing sending me home still very sick and with the wrong meds.

Saw my dr last Monday morning and she gave me the right meds and 24 hours to see if it would work. I had a SEVERE kidney infection and was EXTREMELY dehydrated. I didn't even make it to the end of the day before I was running over 103 fever and admitted to the hospital.

When they tried to start my IV my veins were so small they contemplated getting a pediatric IV to get some fluids started then moving up once they were able to find a better vein after some fluids. After one blown vein they were able to get a regular IV started. My nurse was when I told her I was still nursing 2 of my kids. I told her my milk supply was very low and she said "I can't believe you're making any milk at all right now." I was on a continuous stream of fluids the entire time I was there in addition to being encouraged to drink, drink, drink all the time - I gained 6lbs in 3 days. I also had to have IV meds every 24hrs and could have up to 1000mg of Tylenol every 6hrs for pain and fever.

About 6am weds morning I spiked a fever of 99.8 and killed my hopes of going home that day (previously my fever had been spiking to 102+ overnight so that was still progress) but I was in much less pain and able to eat and drink on my own again.

About 11pm Wednesday night I hit 99.3 again so there was much debate over me going home Thursday morning. I did FINALLY get to go home that afternoon on the condition that I would continue to monitor my temp and keep my dr informed till I was 24 hours without a fever. I got to 99.4 Thursday night again so I ended up having to get another shot at the dr Friday.

Since then I haven't run fever and I'm feeling much better, but I get tired very easily and still just can't do what I used to. It's coming back slowly though and for that I am grateful. I've never been sick enough to be in the hospital before and I'd really love to never do it again.

Anyway, that's what's been happening. Hope everyone else is doing well.

What a whirlwind!!! I am so, so glad you are feeling better

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I've been wondering about you (((big big hugs)))....I'm so sorry you went through all of that !!!!!

I'm so glad you and baby are doing better now...sheesh, how scary !!!!

Praying the rest of your pg is totally uneventful...I think you've filled your complications quota !!!

Reeeally hoping you get your strength back soon momma (((hugs)))!! Thinking of you!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Blog Entries

I'm so glad that you are home and doing better. How very scary to be that sick anytime, especially when pregnant and nursing.

I really hope that this stays away and you have an uneventful rest of your pregnancy.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I know it is hard with little ones, but do try to rest as much as you can so you can recover fully. Only do the bare necessities! I would recommend taking a probiotic, or several for the next few weeks to help counter act all those antibiotics you took, and it will help boost your immune system as well.

Oh gosh! I'm glad to hear you're finally home and feeling better!
    Jennifer

Wow I'm glad to hear you are doing/feeling better. The first time I ever went to the hospital was for a severe kidney infection too. And I was 10 weeks pregnant. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, so I feel ya there. Those can be nasty. Get some rest and YAY for being able to continue to nurse your babies.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Feel better soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    Wow I'm glad to hear you are doing/feeling better. The first time I ever went to the hospital was for a severe kidney infection too. And I was 10 weeks pregnant. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, so I feel ya there. Those can be nasty. Get some rest and YAY for being able to continue to nurse your babies.
    The biggest problem I have is that things DON'T really hurt that bad. I had pain in my left side that I thought was a rib out of place. If I hadn't spiked a fever and been so dehydrated I never would have gone to the hospital for the pain. My head hurt worse than my back from the dehydration. I think I'm a little jaded when it comes to pain after delivering all my babies with no pain meds and having such long, intense labors - everything else just seems like it's nothing now. It's good and bad at the same time I guess.

I am glad to be recovering. I had a regular dr appt today and she said they are going to send my pee test to the lab again just to make sure everything is 100% cleared up because they thought I still had a bit of a UTI left. Hoping it's nothing, but I guess I'd rather know than have it get bad again.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better now stay as rested as possible and KUP if you can
    Me (25) DH (28) Pregnant With Baby #1 Lost An Angel 5/2/13