Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloth diapers....why or why not?

I did cloth diapering for awhile with DD and liked it. It wasn't feasible when I was in grad school and her daycare does not do cloth diapering so we were back to using disposables at that point. I have used disposables with DS almost entirely, due to the same reasons. Now that I am done with school I am working full time and don't have a lot of time and we are still using the same daycare (it is a great daycare, this is really the only slightly negative thing I could say about it).

Almost all of the cloth diapers I have are bumGenius pocket diapers. It is no more messy than disposables, baby poop gets all over the place so often with disposables anyways so its really no biggy to rinse off/shake off the poop from a cloth diaper. It likely requires a lot of time for me to do cloth diapers because I don't have a huge supply of cloth diapers so I need to wash them often or I can't keep up. Sometimes on the weekends I do put DS in cloth diapers to save a few disposables.

ETA: I have no problems with leakage with bumGenius. I do have one Happy Heinys diaper that worked well for a few uses and now leaks whenever I try it (though this is a version from 3 years ago).
    Last edited by Volura; 07-13-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

Hmmm....I will definitely be stalking this thread. DH and I are still in discussion on this topic, but I really want to do cloth diapers, lol.
    Jennifer

I haven't read the other responses but for me it was not realistic to do cloth diapers. While I am a SAHM having so many kids so fast really made it way too hard to actually CD the kids. That combined with my washing machine in the same room that is used for my business and my kids extremely sensitive skin that lead to me having to constantly take a break from CD to heal the diaper rash. Well, sadly it just did not fit. Good luck if you do it. It would have saved me TONS of money!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

1. We do cloth because it saves money and doesn't have the chemicals that disposables does...fewer diaper rashes too.
    2. No issues with messiness
    3. Prefolds with assorted covers.
    4. If you don't get caught up in all the pretty prints and use 2nd hand covers, you definitely save money.
    5. I use a diaper service that picks up dirty diapers and leaves clean once a week.

We do use disposables for overnight, extended travel and sitters.
    me (35) dh (34) dd (2) and ds (March 2012)

5. Default

1-Why do you cloth? To save $$. I got a bunch of prefolds at my baby shower and decided to put them to use.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? We have way fewer leaks and blowouts in the cloth than the disposable. As for the laundry, it's no worse than anything else. I use a regular step-on trashcan as her diaper pail. It works great. Also, there are these wonderful things called diaper liners. You just peel them off the diaper and toss them in the toilet when there's a solid mess and voila! No spraying, no mess, no smell.
    3-What brand do you use? We mostly use Chinese prefolds--I don't know the brand since we were given them and she bought most of them used--with one-size Kawaii diaper covers. We also have Kawaii's minky one-size nighttime diapers.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? DEFINITELY. But we also don't pay our water bill; it's included in our rent. I don't know what difference it would make if we paid our water bill.
    5-How often do you do laundry? Every 3-4 days. We do it when we're running out of room in her diaper pail.

Some unsolicited advice--if you're uncertain about cloth diapering, wait until after the meconium stops and the umbilical cord falls off before you start. Not only does it make things simpler; you don't have to spend money on newborn cloth diapers that will only fit a couple weeks.

If someone had told me before I got pregnant that I'd end up using cloth diapers, I'd never have believed them. In fact, when a friend of mine first told me she was going to do it, I was incredulous and horrified. But it's so much easier than I ever would have imagined and, especially with diaper liners, no more gross than disposables I think.
    ~Tanya (26) and Steve (25)
    Couldn't be happier parents to Kara Alice

Interesting. I would never have thought front-loading would be an issue.

DH and I are divided on cloth diapers, so I'm planning to compromise with the gDiaper. My best friend works in a childcare and their childcare loves gDiapers because of the disposable inserts. They will cloth diaper if you send in prepped cloth diapers (no set up), so you would need lots of covers, I'm guessing. I'd like to stay low on covers. DH is pro-disposable, though I'm sure if I tell him he's supposed to rinse out poopy diapers no matter what type, that would rain on his parade. Actually, that would probably guarantee I'm the only one dealing with diapers. (His gag reflex makes the cat litter boxes a horrible chore, but he's soldiering through for me.)

I think I will switch to the cloth inserts once he deploys, since he's definitely a no-go on me building a compost heap in the backyard for food waste and the inserts. But I'm not 100% sure, because I really don't want to have stinky diapers building up even for a day. I recently made the switch to cloth liners for my own undies, after having a bad allergic reaction to disposable panty liners. If I'm going to do that for me, I can't really stick my baby in plastic chemicals, can I?

I also know that my mom cloth diapered me because I was allergic to the disposables back in the late 70's. I'm sure times have changed. I was also allergic to the plastic protective pants that were supposed to go over the diapers to prevent leaks. Good thing I was baby #1. Poor mom.

It sounds like a number of you used various brands at the same time. Was that just because you bought whatever was on sale or because you weren't sure which brand was best? Do you need different cloth inserts for different brands? I'm so new to this, so I'm off to research, research, research.

Quote Originally Posted by LilBunnieMcG View Post
    Interesting. I would never have thought front-loading would be an issue.

DH and I are divided on cloth diapers, so I'm planning to compromise with the gDiaper. My best friend works in a childcare and their childcare loves gDiapers because of the disposable inserts. They will cloth diaper if you send in prepped cloth diapers (no set up), so you would need lots of covers, I'm guessing. I'd like to stay low on covers. DH is pro-disposable, though I'm sure if I tell him he's supposed to rinse out poopy diapers no matter what type, that would rain on his parade. Actually, that would probably guarantee I'm the only one dealing with diapers. (His gag reflex makes the cat litter boxes a horrible chore, but he's soldiering through for me.)

I think I will switch to the cloth inserts once he deploys, since he's definitely a no-go on me building a compost heap in the backyard for food waste and the inserts. But I'm not 100% sure, because I really don't want to have stinky diapers building up even for a day. I recently made the switch to cloth liners for my own undies, after having a bad allergic reaction to disposable panty liners. If I'm going to do that for me, I can't really stick my baby in plastic chemicals, can I?

I also know that my mom cloth diapered me because I was allergic to the disposables back in the late 70's. I'm sure times have changed. I was also allergic to the plastic protective pants that were supposed to go over the diapers to prevent leaks. Good thing I was baby #1. Poor mom.

It sounds like a number of you used various brands at the same time. Was that just because you bought whatever was on sale or because you weren't sure which brand was best? Do you need different cloth inserts for different brands? I'm so new to this, so I'm off to research, research, research.

I have a front loader and really it is just a matter of figuring out a good wash routine. I am still CDing DD and now we are expecting twins and will be CDing them as well, people think I am crazy LOL! But honestly it's not that much work and I really don't like the smell of disposables, plus that is a TON of trash....

Pick up a variety to find out what you like/what fits baby best. I like Sunbaby's and rockin rumps mostly. My daycare has been awesome about CDing, I send in prepped pockets and a wetbag, they like for me to send disposables for nap time which I do.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

1-Why do you cloth?
    Initially it was to save money and to avoid the chemicals in disposals. Now it is for health and environmental reasons
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy?
    I've used disposals and they are just as sanitary, if not more, IMO. All the poop goes in the potty. I have a sprayer, so it just rinses the poop off. I also use liners that help the poop just roll off. I have never had poop leak out of a cloth diaper like i have with sposies, so I don't have clothes that get poop or the need to get poop off my baby and give him a bath in the middle of the day like I used to have to do with sposies. Also, I hated having stinky poopy diapers sitting around. A diaper pail full of dirty sposies smelled worse to me after a day than my diaper pail does after 2-3. Sp

3-What brand do you use?
    All different kids. When I started, I had a lot of different types of pockets, and BGs were my favorite. My stash is now all fitteds, and mostly natural fibers, mostly made by various WAHMs

4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$?

Not necessarily, because I converted my stash to fitteds, and the ones I have can be pricey. Plus, I really do have more than I need. If you buy cheaper diapers, and only buy what you need, it can definitely save you money. There are some brands that are like $5 a diaper (China cheapies), and TBH, they are the pockets we use for babysitters because they fit DS the best out of any other pocket we own.

5-How often do you do laundry?

every 2-3 days

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I have a front loader and really it is just a matter of figuring out a good wash routine. I am still CDing DD and now we are expecting twins and will be CDing them as well, people think I am crazy LOL! But honestly it's not that much work and I really don't like the smell of disposables, plus that is a TON of trash....

Pick up a variety to find out what you like/what fits baby best. I like Sunbaby's and rockin rumps mostly. My daycare has been awesome about CDing, I send in prepped pockets and a wetbag, they like for me to send disposables for nap time which I do.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I just got this washer/dryer set and I really like it -- although I would have gone for top loader naturally. It's what I'd always had. Of course, my front loader is also free kitty entertainment. My 7 month old kitten (who is HUGE) sits in front of it the whole wash cycle, trying to catch the clothes.

I don't plan to put my son in childcare since I'll be a SAHM or a WAHM (still thinking about providing childcare in my home), but I definitely need something family members are comfortable changing.

What about the "newborn" cloth diapers? I was told hospitals recommend disposables until the cord falls off because CDs aren't cut to protect the cord, but some of the CD websites say that they are designed with the cord in mind. Do you find that true?

It was after this thread first posted that I decided to go cloth. I have bought a quarter of what I will need and even with buying USA made pockets with some fitteds/covers for nights....and Thirsties has two sizes I will need to buy, it will still save money over disposables. I do not plan on daycare as my DH and I work different shifts. He agreed to cloth as long as I kept it simple and easy for him with pockets and not a ton of brands and different kinds. The Thirsties pockets seem really easy to use and are really cute. And it was important to us to buy made in the USA if at all possible.

I am not going to be buying newborn myself as I likely will not take custody of my child until he or she is 3-5 weeks old. The diapers I have in size one are from 7-18 lbs so I think I should be fine going straight to those.

I also have a front loader but after reading a lot of reviews online it seems like most can find a cycle that works just fine. There is a cloth diaper store in a nearby town and they recommended country save for soap....and seemed to not have had issues with people with front loaders. One suggestion was that if there wasn't enough water it seemed, to put the diapers in soaked with water first.

All I had to day was saves money and helps the environment and my DH was on board.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 04-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by LilBunnieMcG View Post
    Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I just got this washer/dryer set and I really like it -- although I would have gone for top loader naturally. It's what I'd always had. Of course, my front loader is also free kitty entertainment. My 7 month old kitten (who is HUGE) sits in front of it the whole wash cycle, trying to catch the clothes.

I don't plan to put my son in childcare since I'll be a SAHM or a WAHM (still thinking about providing childcare in my home), but I definitely need something family members are comfortable changing.

What about the "newborn" cloth diapers? I was told hospitals recommend disposables until the cord falls off because CDs aren't cut to protect the cord, but some of the CD websites say that they are designed with the cord in mind. Do you find that true?
    I have not had the opportunity to use newborn cloth yet. I did purchase a handful of newborn dipes for the twins, DH would rather use disposables in the beginning so I am compromising a bit on that because life is going to be hectic with newborn twins and a toddler.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!