Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers....why or why not?

Default Cloth diapers....why or why not?

I'm looking into the possibility of cloth diapering our Littlest. Sooo...for the cloth diapering mamas...

1-Why do you cloth?
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy?
    3-What brand do you use?
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$?
    5-How often do you do laundry?

Any mamas try cloth diapering and switch back to disposables?

1-Why did you switch to disposables?
    2-What brand(s) did you try?

I'm sorry if my questions are dumb. I have never even considered cloth diapering because honestly it seems so unsanitary and messy. I know I am totally wrong, please don't fry me over that statement, it's just I really don't know. Help me!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

1. We do cloth because it saves money, is good for the environment, and doesn't have the chemicals that disposables does.
    2. It can be a tad messy (like swishing a diaper in the toilet, but you can use a diaper sprayer), but I have no issues with it really.
    3. Bumgenius brand is one of my favorites.
    4. If you don't get caught up in all the pretty prints and fads, you definitely save money.
    5. I do laundry every 2-3 days right now.

We do use disposables for outings and overnight because it's a bit easier for us, but cloth when home. Oh and for sitters.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

1-Why do you cloth? Mostly for financial reasons. We're lower income so our budget is very tight. Having to buy disposables would prevent us from doing a lot.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? We keep dirty diapers in a wet bag, and I feel that keeps it sanitary. They get washed and that takes care of any yuck.
    3-What brand do you use? We use Kawaii pockets, Indian prefolds from Cotton Babies, and a variety of covers - Econobum, Kawaii, Flip, and Thirsties.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? Yes.
    5-How often do you do laundry? Usually every 2-3 days. We could do 4, but it gets stinky, especially in the summer.

1-Why do you cloth? ... First and foremost the environment... it has also saved us a ton of money and they look super cute!
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? Really once you're into it and have a system, it is no big deal and really not that messy
    3-What brand do you use? bum genius
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? Definitely!!
    5-How often do you do laundry? when we were still using them (my son it PT now) every 2-3 days.

Blog Entries

1-Why do you cloth?
    It's cheaper and my kids have super sensitive skin so with cloth we have way less rashes. Depending on who you talk to, it might be better for the environment (all poop does go where it should at least - did you know that you are supposed to transfer poop from disposables into the toilet, too?)

Once you have a baby, you get every single bodily fluid/waste all over you at some point so it's not big deal to take care of a soiled cloth diaper. We used to have poop blow outs a lot in disposables and except for a bought of horrific diarrhea only two times have poop escaped a cloth diaper (and just a bit). So in that case, it is way more sanitary and way less messy.

3-What brand do you use?
    I use several brands - mostly fitteds now, I used to only use pockets and AIO's.

Lots of money, especially when you add in using them for more than one child.

I do laundry about every other day but I do not have a big stash of diapers. If you want to have a lot of diapers you can wash less often.
    Last edited by JJorn; 07-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by misfit View Post
    1. We do cloth because it saves money, is good for the environment, and doesn't have the chemicals that disposables does.
    2. It can be a tad messy (like swishing a diaper in the toilet, but you can use a diaper sprayer), but I have no issues with it really.
    3. Bumgenius brand is one of my favorites.
    4. If you don't get caught up in all the pretty prints and fads, you definitely save money.
    5. I do laundry every 2-3 days right now.

We do use disposables for outings and overnight because it's a bit easier for us, but cloth when home. Oh and for sitters.
    This except that we used Fuzzi Buns pockets. I used them for over 4 years and they are still in pretty decent shape.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

1-Why do you cloth?

Mostly environmental. That and I really, really hate the smell of sposies!!

Well... Poop IS messy It's not really as bad as you think, spraying is the hardest part, and that just becomes another part of the day.

3-What brand do you use?

It differs upon WHO is changing him. Daddy and the sitter both like Sunbabys and BGs. We use fitteds (Goodmama's) with fleece covers for night time. Love fuzzinbunz and Kawaii as awell.

Yes, it can. There is ways to cloth diaper VERY cheaply.

I do not like to go more than 3 days. Anymore than that and everything just smells funky to me.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

1-Why do you cloth? It's ecological and economical!
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? Sanitary. Possibly even more sanitary than disposables, because cloth has only blown out a few times, disposables blow out regularly. Cloth goes into a lidded trash can lined with a large wet bag. There is no smell as long as the can stays closed.
    3-What brand do you use? Indian cotton and Econobums prefolds with Flip covers for daytime; Alvababy, Kawaii or BumGenius pockets double stuffed for night.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? Absolutely, and we only do it part time.
    5-How often do you do laundry? Normally, once a week. I have a pretty decent stash and she wears disposables on weekdays while she's in daycare.

Any mamas try cloth diapering and switch back to disposables? We CD part time.

1-Why did you switch to disposables? We use disposables part time because daycare won't do cloth.
    2-What brand(s) did you try? We use Costco's Kirklands brand. Have also used Huggies and Pampers, I don't think there's much of a difference between the big brands. Our daycare providers agree with me.

I was really on the fence about making the investment and unsure at first if it would be worth the work. It is hardly any work at all, and completely worth it. I'm so glad I chose to CD.
    Last edited by dana_renay; 07-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

1-Why do you cloth?

To save money, better for baby and I thought they were cute.

Dealing with poop is messy but you get used to it. I've had a lot more blow outs (especially up the back) with disposables than I did w/ cloth.

3-What brand do you use?

My first stash was bumgenius OS, fuzzibunz and blueberry OS. I've since sold them all and bought diapers that were organic cotton. Current stash is bumgenius elemental, gro-via, and swaddlebees simplex. I've been really happy with my new stash.

Yes, especially when you take into consideration you can use them with multiple children and sell them when you're done.

Every other day.

I've gone back and forth.
    I switched back to disposables when I was pregnant with my 2nd because I could not deal with it. After my 2nd was born I went back to cloth. Then we moved to an area with hard water and dealt with numerous stink issues. I switched to disposables in frustration but got tired of paying for diapers. Did some research and decided our stink problem was due to the microfiber inserts. I sold my stash, bought cotton diapers and haven't had problems since.

I tried CD with both kids and did not last very long ... different reasons for each though.

DS ... I tried when he was a newborn. I spent lot's of $$ trying to find a diaper than would not leak. No luck. I could manage it during the day but at night I was dealing with a soaking wet crib daily. I tried something like 10 different brands of diapers from basic cotton prefolds with covers to Bum Genius and Blueberry pockets. I cannot remember all the brand names - it was 4 years ago. So then at 6 months we started elimination communication and stopped using diapers except at night (for which I used disposable Huggies - 1 diaper a day).

DD ... I waited until she was 4 months old. I went back to Blueberry pockets which I liked best from my trial with DS. They worked great for DD. No leaks - day and night. She has a different body shape than DS, she was a short chubby baby, DS was long and skinny. But then at 8 months I started getting concerned about her mobility. She was not doing a lot of things that DS was already doing. DH convinced me to put her in a paper diaper and voila ... she was mobile. I don't know if I had the wrong diaper (they were one size pockets) or what, but they were clearly inhibiting her movement. With 2 kids I did not really have time and energy to go diaperless at that point, but we did part time disposables, part time no diapers from then on.

As far as cost is concerned, I spent $500 on diapers for DS and could not get them to work. So that was a total flop (I sold everything and got about $250 back). I only spent $200 on DD's diapers and I figured the cost was the same as disposables for 4 months. So I broke even. I still have the diapers and need to get off my bottom to re-sell them.

11. Default

Answers responded below.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    I'm looking into the possibility of cloth diapering our Littlest. Sooo...for the cloth diapering mamas...

1-Why do you cloth? We used cloth for environmental and cost reasons.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? Completely sanitary, never had an issue.
    3-What brand do you use? We used Rumparooz, Blueberry SmartiPants, HappyHeinys, BumGenius and a few other one size.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? We only spent $700 on everything for a year an a half of CDing. We were both unemployed and know that we couldn't have afforded diapers otherwise.
    5-How often do you do laundry? we did laundry every three days.

1-Why did you switch to disposables?
    2-What brand(s) did you try?

I'm sorry if my questions are dumb. I have never even considered cloth diapering because honestly it seems so unsanitary and messy. I know I am totally wrong, please don't fry me over that statement, it's just I really don't know. Help me!
    Sarah (31) & DH Matt (35)

1-Why do you cloth?How can you resist a cute, fluffy butt?!? Really, because diapers are expensive! Also we lived 30 miles from a store with our DS and they never had the sizes we needed stocked so for us it was more convenient.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? I think it's just as sanitary as anything else. We spray our diapers out in the tub with the showerhead and then spritz the tub with either Bac-Out or a bleach solution.
    3-What brand do you use? With Ds I used mostly Baghsot Row Bamboo, Goodmamas & Cutiepoops. I also have quite a few pockets of various brands but none I really loved.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? That's debatable. If you stick with just the basics, totally. If you go for a ride on the crazy expensive but cute, fitted/wool train...it can add up quickly.
    5-How often do you do laundry? We did our diapers twice a week.

1-Why did you switch to disposables? Giardia that we could not clear up. He's finally clear but we were hoping to PL and then with the pregnancy getting him back in cloth wasn't a big priority. He'll go back in them soon.
    2-What brand(s) did you try? Target - Our favorite until he started getting rashes this winter. Currently in Sam's Club or Huggies if we have a coupon.

ETA: We haven't started cloth diapering the trio yet since they have been too small to fit in our newbown sized diapers (Green Mountain Diapers Workhorse Fitteds). We are gong through a $10 pack of Pampers every other day. My hope is that we'll be able to wash diapers every other day.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah 9/10 - 3/11
    FFS "Baby C" 4/23 - 5/26 Sibs Q,Z,J & K

Mostly for environmental reasons and striving for a chemical free household.
    Honesty, yeah I think it gets messy and it's pretty nasty to try to get a raisin filled poopy out of a diaper and trying to swish it in the toilet and make sure it doesn't splash in your face. But like someone else mentioned people should really do that with sposies anyway. I do not think it's unsanitary, however, just takes a bit more effort and clean up.
    I have used lots of different types/brands since I buy secondhand but mostly I use fitteds in natural fibers and also have a handful of AIO's, a no name brand I picked up at my local resale shop. You can save a ton of money as long as you stay practical and don't get caught up in the looks of it too much. I wash every other day. I have honestly considered switching to sposies but I never will. My conscience won't let me lol.

1-Why do you cloth?
    Initially it was to save money. When ds2 was born we found out he had extremely sensitive skin... So now we also cloth diaper because it is better for him!
    I dont find it messy, but maybe thats because we've been doing it almost two years and I'm used to it? We have a wet bag for his room and a diaper sprayer in the bathroom.... And spraying out his poop doesnt really gross me out, hes my kid!
    3-What brand do you use?
    I prefer wahm covers with prefolds. We also use sunbaby, rumparooz and grovia.
    Yes!
    5-How often do you do laundry? Probably every third day...

1-Why do you cloth? Mostly reasons listed above - better for baby, more environmentally friendly (we used paper when she was newborn and I hated all the piles of diaper trash we put out - it just really bothered me), cuter... nicer quality all around on her little tush.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? Poop is messy, but you're going to be dealing with it anyway. For me a diaper sprayer attached to the toilet has been a lifesaver. Seriously the best investment ever -- now that she is PTed but still using her little potty sometimes, we still use it a lot and I have a feeling we'll be keeping it hooked up forever for life's little messes.
    3-What brand do you use? BumGenius and Fuzzibunz made up most of our stash, with some homemade and other brands thrown in. We started out with prefolds and covers, which are cheap and easy to wash and maintain, but ended up using AIOs and pockets for ease of use. We used GDiapers at night and when we were on vacation, and liked them a lot too.
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? We were able to use the same stash from the time she first started using cloth around 5 months until PTing at 2.5, and I'm going to be selling them off to make some of the money back. Yes, we saved. I also waited for sales and got great prices on most of our AIOs, and sometimes bought gently used.
    5-How often do you do laundry? Every two to three days. Honestly, the only thing that frustrated me about cloth was the laundry. Not because doing two extra loads per week was a pain -- it actually was very easy, and I enjoyed washing diapers and hanging them out to dry (or using dryer, whichever worked that day). But a few months before she PTed, our washer died and we got a new one. I did research and tried to find one that worked well with diapers, but it still just didn't clean them very well no matter what routine I used. I ended up having to do a lot of extra soaks, rinses and washes that made the routine very long, and at that point I didn't feel that it was very environmentally friendly. Of course, we were using AIOs and pockets that are harder to wash than prefolds... but I'd say that ended up being our biggest issue with cloth. So if you have a washer that washes them well, laundry is no problem... but if you have an HE machine, you might find it a bigger hassle.
    I still wouldn't have switched, because we had too many reasons to love our cloth -- but I can see people finding that part frustrating.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

#1 reason we use cloth is breastfeeding baby poops! Poop explosions were a nightmare with dd and always went up her back. Using fitteds with covers for the first year basically eliminates them. Even now DD2 has some nasty poops that would never had stayed in a sposie. Bf poop doesn't even require rinsing first so there is much less contact with poop than when cleaning an explosion in sposies.
    I've bought lots of pretty and fancy diapers so we haven't saved a ton, but it would be easy to if you have will power and block hyena cart from your computer.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

1-Why do you cloth? She has uber sensitive skin. We have way less rashes than cloth.
    2-Is it sanitary or does it get messy? No worse than disposables, I put them in a wetbag in the utility room and wash about every three days.
    3-What brand do you use? My favorite is Sunbaby, I also use Fuzzibunz, Bumgenius, I mostly like pockets and will try any pocket print that is cute
    4-Do you agree that it's saved a lot of $$? If you do not get sucked into the prints then YES. I have to stay away from the FB B/S/T page...
    5-How often do you do laundry? About twice a week.

I actually started with disposables and went to CDing when she was 10 months old, wish I had done it from the start. I definitely will if there is a next time...

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

My SIL used them for about 6 months with my nephew, but then switched to disposables. That boy eats/poops A LOT, and it just got to be too much. The diapers couldn't handle it, and she ended up with huge messes and daily loads of laundry. It was a huge investment too, lots of AIOs and such (I gave a gift, which I think was 6 or 8 diapers for over $100).

I CD from the time my son was 1 month old until he potty trained. I used Bum Genius and found they worked great for my son. When he got older I had to double up at night. It was definitely easier when he was EBF. Once he started eating well then it was messier and smellier. But like others have mentioned you have deal with it anyway ;) A diaper sprayer is a must when they are older. I washed every other day. I never noticed any increase in our water bill or electric bill. I did CDing very cheaply, I only used the BG's and I made my own wipes. Also made my own diaper wipe solution. I think all that helped that he never had a diaper rash.

When we traveled we used disposables, I hated them actually. I always felt guilty.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

So question....does it REALLY save money? I had considered it and than didn't after realizing that we were almost certainly having just one baby.

I have NO idea what diapers cost. As in what would be the cost of one child in disposables vs cloth?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    So question....does it REALLY save money? I had considered it and than didn't after realizing that we were almost certainly having just one baby.

I have NO idea what diapers cost. As in what would be the cost of one child in disposables vs cloth?
    I have honestly never checked the numbers for us. You'd have to factor in cost of water and energy if you are using a dryer. You have to wash them 2-3 times and some take a long time to dry. Since I have paid so little for most of my diapers, and used them for a long time, and line dried as much as possible, I'm confident that it is economical for us.

If you don't get caught up in fabrics and buying new ones often, you will save money even if you have one child, and even if you wash them 2-3 times a week, and dry them in a dryer. I did the math back in the days when I gave birth to DS1 and calculated it for 2 years, assuming he PT at 2. He PT just before his 3 birthday and I used the same medium FB pockets since he was 3 months. They were big then and big up until he turned 6 months but not too bad. They fit him right until he turned 3. (He is tall and skinny.) We use sposies for school, big outings and night, but when we are home both used to be in cloth. It saved us money for just one child and even more with the second. But I am not into cute fabrics at all. I line dry them in the summer and don't bother with that in the winter. So although I no longer remember the actual numbers sposies cost money over time. There is a health aspect too since there are no chemicals
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Jennifer, for disposables, figure .15 - .30 per diaper (costco brand are .20/dipe), 7-10 dipes a day the first year. Number of diapers depends on you and your kid. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of posters come after me to say how wrong those numbers are! But I think you can reasonably expect to spend $400-$600 on disposable diapers in the first year.

Whereas, I spent $250 on cloth diapers and expect those to last at least 2 years (with part-time use). IMO, water and electricity to wash them in a top-loading HE washer is negligible; we've seen no difference in either bill.
    Last edited by dana_renay; 07-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Jennifer, for disposables, figure .15 - .30 per diaper (costco brand are .20/dipe), 7-10 dipes a day the first year. Number of diapers depends on you and your kid. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of posters come after me to say how wrong those numbers are! But I think you can reasonably expect to spend $400-$600 on disposable diapers in the first year.
    Actually, I think you are estimating it right and perhaps on the lower side. The bigger the kid, the bigger the size, the more expensive the diapers. Costco size 5 diapers are .27 cents here.) Many parents find that their kids are better in this or that more expensive brand, many parents work and buy in the last minute whatever they find (so not always deals from Costco and other places).
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Stalking this thread. I have a front-loading HE washing machine. I can't replace it because I don't have enough space to put the washer and dryer side-by-side; they need to be stacked. How big of a problem is a front-loading machine for diapers?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Stalking this thread. I have a front-loading HE washing machine. I can't replace it because I don't have enough space to put the washer and dryer side-by-side; they need to be stacked. How big of a problem is a front-loading machine for diapers?

That is what I have too. Love my washer and it's just two years old so definitely not replacing.

Right now I only do 3-4 loads of laundry most week so adding to that shouldn't be a big deal money wise.

I do not have Costco anywhere within probably 90 minutes to 2 hours drive so definitely not an option.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have had a lot of issues with water pressure, temperature, and high mineral content (before we put a filter on our main water, before we only filtered drinking water) so take this with a grain of salt. My front loader was not getting my diapers clean. Just not enough water, imo. I sold it and bought a second hand old school top loader of craigslist and it's doing the job.

We absolutely saved money! We got $200 at the baby shower that I put towards the diapers. I bought all in one, one size diapers. Thank goodness they worked for us. I had about 20 diapers which at the time cost us about $320. I bought microfiber towels at Costco that I cut into wipes. I made my own wipe solution. Diaper sprayer was I think $20, my dh installed it. I washed every other day. In the evenings I would stuff the diapers. Or my dh would help me, nothing like watching your husband stuff the baby's diapers lol
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

When we were doing disposables we prob spent about $30 a month on diapers. So ~$360/year. My initial cloth diaper stash cost $300 which lasted us at least 3-3 years of use.

I've only done cloth with a front loader HE machine. I think it's harder to find a good wash routine w/ them. I did a lot of experimenting before I found one that worked. I think some machines do better than others and there are some sites that have charts showing the best wash routine for certain machines. Hard water is another thing that can cause issues w/ your wash routine. We can only use cotton diapers because the ones made w/ other materials just would not get clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I also have a front loader and I almost did not try cloth because of it. But I really have not issues, I run 2 cycles and put one extra rinse in. The only issue I had drying was I had to switch it over to timed dry since the dryer sensed they were dry but they were not. It only takes one hour to dry a large load and that is on low heat.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!