DH and I were raised Catholic and we happen to live in an area that is very Italian/Spanish and Catholicism seems to be a predominant religion with those 2 groups (at least around here). I wish we were in a more religiously diverse area but it is what it is now....

So we have been to 3 family communions and my DD is in kindergarten which means religious instruction starts next year. Thankfully it is completely separate from the school (as it should be) so you do it on your own. I can't count the # of moms who have asked if I signed my DD up for religion yet. They have been respectful when I say "No we don't do that" or "we don't belong to that church" but it's kind of awkward. It would be fine if it were just 1-2 people but I feel like it's everyone.

The other issue is I am fearing DD will be upset or feel left out when all these kids are making their communion and she wont. Obviously this is no reason to follow the religion but I am not entirely sure how to handle it. DH has told her that we are not Catholic and that many other people, especially family members are, and that we respect their right to be a part of whatever religion they choose. But it feels weird to say all that when we don't actually have a religion, you know? If were said "they are Catholic and we are Jewish" it would IDK just feel better I think. We used to go to a Unitarian Fellowship but it's kind of far and we kind of dropped off from that....

Anyway, I am babbling now. Just wondering if any of you feel like you are surrounded by 1 religion and how you and your kids handle that?