Thread: When and How did you decide being an Atheist was right for you?

Default When and How did you decide being an Atheist was right for you?

I am really feeling so lost right now I know its a very personal choice to decide upon whatever religious or non-religious views to have. I was wanting feedback about how people decide there is no God.
    *** Lindsay ***

Looking back, I always felt unease with my Catholic upbringing. I never delved too deeply, just stopped going to church when I left my parents home and told people that I believed in a "higher power". It wasn't until after I had my first child, and realized I was going to have to answer questions eventually That I started to read about the theory of evolution and the history of mankind. Then I found support here, in the secular room, where I could speak freely, ask questions, and I have never looked back. I have learned so much through the questions of my children, things I wish I'd asked myself long ago.

I'm personally halfway between an Agnostic Athiest and an Agnostic Theist (this chart is helpful, I'd be the "weak Athiest" I guess)... I've been this way since I was about 14, I'd guess. I never grew up in a Christian or Catholic household, we were a more minor, less known religion (The Baha'i Faith) - if I were to identify with any, it still would be that one, because in general the teachings are about love, unity, and understanding of all things. I'm very skeptical about there being a God/Gods, but at the same time, I have no way of knowing either way - there's the big questions that nobody thusfar has been able to answer... how exactly did everything come to be? Thinking too hard about it actually made me have some serious issues when I was a teenager (questioning everything, on top of the normal teenage angst/depression = bad things)... and I've decided to just stick with "I don't know, I'll probably never know, and I'm OK with that. I will live to be the best person I am able to within reason, and treat others fairly and with respect."

Miriam (26) Mark (28) #1 on the way, due 1-5-2014, and it's a girl! FF/Temps

When I stopped trying to convince myself that I had to believe in something. It felt like a tremendous weight lifted off my shoulders. I identify now with being a humanist as I support all people,simply for being good, moral people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sermari View Post
    I'm personally halfway between an Agnostic Athiest and an Agnostic Theist (this chart is helpful, I'd be the "weak Athiest" I guess)... I've been this way since I was about 14, I'd guess. I never grew up in a Christian or Catholic household, we were a more minor, less known religion (The Baha'i Faith) - if I were to identify with any, it still would be that one, because in general the teachings are about love, unity, and understanding of all things. I'm very skeptical about there being a God/Gods, but at the same time, I have no way of knowing either way - there's the big questions that nobody thusfar has been able to answer... how exactly did everything come to be? Thinking too hard about it actually made me have some serious issues when I was a teenager (questioning everything, on top of the normal teenage angst/depression = bad things)... and I've decided to just stick with "I don't know, I'll probably never know, and I'm OK with that. I will live to be the best person I am able to within reason, and treat others fairly and with respect."

I really love this chart.
    *** Lindsay ***

Well, I don't want to say anything that might hurt someone, so I'll just say, I never felt as though I needed it. Life makes sense as it is, I'm happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Well, I don't want to say anything that might hurt someone, so I'll just say, I never felt as though I needed it. Life makes sense as it is, I'm happy!
    That is a great place to be. I hope I can feel the same way where life just makes sense for me too.
    *** Lindsay ***

I did for a while in college but don't consider myself atheist right now. I'm agnostic but the hopeful side of me wants to lean towards maybe there is a god. Since I cannot prove there isn't....but also cannot prove that there is, I lean slightly towards the why not.

But I also believe in things like psychics (most are pretty fake but I have experienced one that knew way too much that wasn't public knowledge and not stuff on the internet....and my mom was giving nothing away). And I sort of kind believe in ghosts. And believe that there are aliens out there somewhere in space.

There is just way too much mystery and unknown in the world for me to be able to say either way on things that we just cannot prove right now.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Pretty much this.

I have always felt that God was a coping mechanism to explain what people essentially don't understand (and I do not mean for that to have a negative connotation at all). I never felt any explanation was needed and am perfectly happy with my grasp on reality.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog