Thread: Losing weight while nursing

MommaBear Guest

Default Losing weight while nursing

Post your links and tips here!

Can I diet while BFing?
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...eightloss.html

Calorie needs calculator while BFing/pregnant:
    http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed

Excellent!!!! Thanks MommaBear! I am doing the weight watchers program for breastfeeding mommas..... it will be great to get support here from others looking to healthfully shed baby weight while maintaining milkie supply!

Hi girls! I am starting the WW for BF mom's Monday. WOOHOO....time to get rid of this fat suit I have been wearing for WAY too long! We can do it girls!
    Visit this great mommy website for free ideas/tips/crafts/recipes:
    http://greatideasformoms.today.com/

For those of you following the WW Points program....here is an awesome website to help you find point totals for restaurants. It is a very comprehensive list!! Click on the "restaurants" near the top of the webpage!

http://www.dwlz.com/
    Visit this great mommy website for free ideas/tips/crafts/recipes:
    http://greatideasformoms.today.com/

Wow thanks for the calorie needs calculator!! That's a really useful tool!!
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

And exercising does NOT affect that taste of your BM or affect your supply I know people always get nervous about that. I have been running and working out since Erik was 10 weeks old and our nursing is still going strong. He is totally addicted to the boobie.

Just wanted to post - I have lost 14.7 pounds so far on Weight Watchers following the BFing Mom plan. HOOOORAH!!! No issues with my supply either, cause the weight loss is very slow...average a pound or two a week. I wish it would go faster, but at least its starting to go down!

good job!!

"here's to the memories, these are my souvenirs" Switchfoot

MommaBear Guest

Congrats, Kate!

hanvan Guest

I'm glad to hear ww is working I'll be joining next month

Quote Originally Posted by kateypie35 View Post
    Just wanted to post - I have lost 14.7 pounds so far on Weight Watchers following the BFing Mom plan. HOOOORAH!!! No issues with my supply either, cause the weight loss is very slow...average a pound or two a week. I wish it would go faster, but at least its starting to go down!
    Wow! 14.7 lbs is AWESOME! YAY for you!
    Lisa - mom to Jonathan (Dec 01) , our STC IVF success Jacob(Feb 08) and our little surprise Emma (Mar 10)! We didn't just beat infertility - we kicked it to the curb!

What is the points range for bfing moms? I did ww winning points plan in 2000 and lost a lot of weight but I can't find any info on bfing points range and would like to try it to help me out!

Quote Originally Posted by goldielocks1218 View Post
    What is the points range for bfing moms? I did ww winning points plan in 2000 and lost a lot of weight but I can't find any info on bfing points range and would like to try it to help me out!
    You add 10 pts to whatever points you calculate.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

actually they had me add 12 points...but i lost a point when i lost the first ten pounds. i think it depends on your starting weight...

Quote Originally Posted by kateypie35 View Post
    actually they had me add 12 points...but i lost a point when i lost the first ten pounds. i think it depends on your starting weight...
    Wow that's interesting! I just used the calculation in the book. For females, it's two points, but nursing moms are 12. Interesting! I'm curious what your starting weight was - I'd like 12 extra instead of 10!

Hey I just wanted to post a warning - I've done WW several times while nursing and EVERY TIME I have had a supply drop EVEN while eating all my points, including all 10 nursing points AND the weekly "extra" points. So start HIGH and drop points slowly, my advice.

I have old materials...so maybe my 12 is '2' for females and '10' for nursing, but in the old materials? I dont know. Anyhoo..my starting weight was under 190, but over 180. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And yes, take advice from Stash - be careful not to hurt supply. I have not had any supply issues at all, and I dont eat my weekly points...but everyone is different, and everyones body responds differently. If you notice a supply prob, i would add a point or two. The main thing is to eat healthy!

Does any1 know how many weeks post you have to be b4 you can join??? I can't find it on the website....sorry, to join WW.

Pretty sure you can join whenever you want, just be sure to tell them if you are bf...

ARRGGH! When DD has growth spurts, my hunger becomes out of control. I've been on WW, but yesterday I absolutely needed a milk shake. I had to consume something that would make me almost sick so I would stop eating.

I wish the weight would melt off the way I assumed it would due to BF'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by goldielocks1218 View Post
    Pretty sure you can join whenever you want, just be sure to tell them if you are bf...
    You should wait until six weeks postpartum before starting any weight-loss plan, including Weight Watchers.

Quote Originally Posted by teachermom View Post
    ARRGGH! When DD has growth spurts, my hunger becomes out of control. I've been on WW, but yesterday I absolutely needed a milk shake. I had to consume something that would make me almost sick so I would stop eating.

I wish the weight would melt off the way I assumed it would due to BF'ing.
    Well, I know that a lot of ppl have said that the calorie consumption is worng, it should be more, w/WW & BFing. Also, You really need to eat 3 meals & 3 snacks a day or 6 mini-meals. During the growth spurts though, you do need some of that stuff....you loose so muh b/c you're feeding non-stop you need some carbs & sugar. As long as you don't over do it, you'll still loose the weight. Some women loose a bunch right away and then nothing at all for months, while others loose gradually. As long as you eat healthy and take in the right # of calories you should get back into shape, even better really.

It seems as if I have finally been able to llose the last of the baby weight. Granted I am not toned at all and when going to the pool yesterday I still opted for the one-piece but I can't expect toning when I am not working out. Thought I should share my "diet" which is really constructed to aid milk supply in case anyone would be interested. I have not seen any dip despite going back to work.
    6 AM breakfast - HUGE serving of oatmeal with raisins and flax seed
    8:30-ish - decaf coffee with a granola bar (Quaker Oats 90 calorie)
    9:30-ish - 2 hardboiled egg whites and a fruit (peach or something)
    10:30-ish lunch - huge bowl of cheerios in 2% milk
    12:30 another granola bar and 2 hardboiled eggs
    5-ish dinner. Normal food and a lot of it!
    Evening at least one fruit
    Just before bed some cheerios in milk.
    I also snack a lot even in between what I have listed above. Mainly on dry cheerios, fruit, or lunch meat. And I drink water constantly. I don't know why I started losing a lot more weight when I went back to work I guess it could have something to do with the fact I don't have my PB jar here, I was constantly eating from it.

Lisa - mom to Jonathan (Dec 01) , our STC IVF success Jacob(Feb 08) and our little surprise Emma (Mar 10)! We didn't just beat infertility - we kicked it to the curb!

this isn't WW related...
    But at my 6 week postpartum checkup, I had lost 25 of my 40 gained pounds. But now at 4 months postpartum, I still have another 10 lbs to go and it's taking forever. I do remember with DS#1, I couldn't loss the last bit til I stopped nursing (something about the hormones make you retain some fat). Has anyone else experienced this? Just want to fit in normal clothes again!!
    MommaRhyne(25) is the PINK in her house of BLUE. DH - (25)

This isn't weight watchers related either...but I lost all of the baby weight, plus 15 pounds (I'm smaller now than before I was pregnant) by eating smaller snacks throughout the day. When I knew that Natalie was going to nurse (when she was younger), I would have a snack right before, and then right after. As soon as she is done nursing, I always get so hungry!!! I don't really eat big meals, just smaller healthy ones that I know are full of protein!

I have started a healthier eating plan (limiting caloric intake) and a work out schedule. My supply is hurting! I am glad I could come here and get the link for my calorie needs. I am eating about 1000 less than the calculator told me I should! My son is not getting what he wants or needs from me and it makes me very sad. I hope that as soon as I get my calories back up to what they need to be, my supply will replenish itself.

Any other advice is very welcome and NEEDED! Thank you!!!
    Sharon(28)~DH-Mark(28)~Married 9/24/2005~DS-Adam ~10/4/2008DD-Claire~7/27/2010

I just joined weightwatchers....how did everyone do on this? Anything I should be prepared for?
    Crystal
    Spoiled Much

A Mommy's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by PinKster View Post
    I just joined weightwatchers....how did everyone do on this? Anything I should be prepared for?
    I'm slowing down with nursing, but started WW a few weeks ago and am down ~5lb. A nice slow and steady start for me! Just make sure you track everything, really use the tools and make sure you're eating all your POINTS.

Did you get the monthly pass membership?

I'm not sure I signed up for 3 months and get 1 free. I just dont want anything to affect my supply. I hope this works, cause I am still not in my pre pregnancy clothes yet! EEK!
    Crystal
    Spoiled Much

A Mommy's Blog