Thread: 5 weeks of pumping!

Default 5 weeks of pumping!

I have over 150 oz in the freezer and this little guy eats like a crazy man. 3 ounces every 3 - 4 hours! Hopefully we can switch from bottles to boobs soon! Any suggestions?

He will need to continue bottles to get fortified milk for extra cals, as well as get his meds. So we will be doing both for a while.

Pumping stinks, but I'm glad in giving him the best I can!

Wow! No suggestions here but just wanted to say way to go! That is incredible

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

No experience with that here but how awesome that you've made it 5 weeks! I hate pumping and haven't ever needed to do bottles so I'm always impressed with moms who have the dedication to stick it out in situations like this. Hope you can make it to straight from the tap soon!

Instead of bottles for fortifying and meds, you should ask about a supplemental nursing system so that he can get used to getting everything from the breast.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I have no idea what a supplemental nursing system is. Any info on it would be great so I can talk to my pedi on Friday.

If I remember correctly it's a small plastic tube that lays next to the nipple and find in the corner of baby's mouth when latched. It leads to a bag or bottle containing the supplements baby needs. When baby nurses he also gets what's in the container. You should be able to Google pics for a better idea.

http://breastfeedingbasics.info/supp...system-aka-sns

A blog post from a mom who used one. I don't know if her experience is typical since I don't know anyone personally who had used it but she does a decent job of explaining how it works.

You should call an IBCLC. They should be able to get you an SNS and explain how to use it. Honestly, it should have been offered at the hospital as an alternative to bottles.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

if you have trouble getting him to attach - this worked for me. We didn't end up being able to nurse & i pumped for 8mths (ack!) but it did give us some nice sessions & helped (me) enjoy some nursing moments.

"Some moms try nursing in the bathtub. Fill the tub with warm water and get all settled. Have your husband hand you naked Oliver. Try this before he gets real hungry. Let him immerse up to his chin and get the feel of the water all over his body. After he gets nice and cozy, draw him up onto your chest. If he begins sucking at his hands carefully slide him over to your breast, express out a few drops of milk, and see what happens. If no nursing occurs, at least you will both be clean and have had a pleasant experience. This has worked well for many mothers!"