Thread: Busy and Boredom

Default Busy and Boredom

I was thinking about this today and wanted your thoughts.

Do you think that kids who live busier lives with families who often are on the go esp. on weekends are more likely to get bored easier and act out/get into things during their "down time" at home compared to kids who have quieter weekends all the time?
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

We have a somewhat busy lifestyle. Weekends consists of soccer games (at least 2), baseball practice, soccer practice, hiking and/or family walk and swimming lessons. During down time, the kids are VERY tired. Boredom or acting out isn't an issue since they most often than not crash into their beds to sleep or lay on the couch to read a book or play some board games. A year ago it wasn't as busy since DD was younger and didn't get into things as much. During down time, DS would (try) to read or draw, or go at the back yard to inspect/find some spiders and other critters.

To be honest, it wasn't how much or how little we did in the weekends. If our kids are tired, we nap. If they're not tired and 'we' the parents need a down time, we let them sit down and do arts and crafts - something to still keep them mildly stimulated. More often, the kids are the ones who find stuff to keep themselves 'entertained' and preoccupied.
    If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm - Bruce Barton

no idea. it probably depends on the temperament of the kid and depends on what they're used to lifestyle-wise. If you're used to hiking or biking every weekend and someone plops you in front of a tv instead, sure, you may be bored. Just like the tv kid is likely to prefer a couch to a long walk and may object to having to do something out of the norm.

(Sorry - I see that I read your question the wrong way. But still somewhat the same answer. No, I don't see why having activities would make it more difficult to relax in down time. If the kid's temperament is that they get more wound up and that they need more time/space to wind down, then perhaps, but that's the kid not the activities, per se. Perhaps it's just a matter of how one defines 'downtime.' what might be relaxing for one person may be dull or stressful for another.)
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 09-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.

No, I don't. We sometimes have really busy days. DS1 easily gets bored at home and is always asking to go somewhere. DS2 easily adjusts to downtime.

No, I think it has to do with the child. I have 6 kids. We are often busy. Most of my kids like the down time and are happy to have that time to sit and read or veg. 1 in particular is always "bored". She drives me nuts. We can be go, go, go all day and she will say "I'm bored" on the way from the car to the house or even complain about the possibility of being bored when the current activity ends. She wants to be doing something all the time, and she wants someone else to be doing it with her. She doesnt like watching TV, or reading a book either, nor does she easily think of something to do for herself.

The thought crossed my mind when thinking of a friend's lifestyle and ours. They often take trips out of town just because, and purposely keep their weekends busy by going to movies, or out of town, etc. I've heard complaints of boredom from the kids or them getting into things they shouldn't and the oldest definitely knows better.

We are homebodies and our kids are usually pretty good at entertaining themselves without parental involvement and it's rare to hear complaints of boredom (Sam has said it, but I don't think he understands what it means based on the context he uses it.) We live a semi-busy life with school, soccer, friends, etc., but we generally try to take time to just be home as a family without the added stress of running around all weekend.

So it just me think- definitely seems like it would child by child basis. Some needing given something to do and others fine on their own.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

I'm not sure, I know we have pretty busy weekends and usually when things slow down DS tends to act out or get in a trouble out of boredom. I can't speak for the other side of the question though.
    Me DH = DS (2/11/10) DD (4/18/12)