Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1894

Thread: LDS Moms

We had a pre-nursery in our last ward. It was so nice. Just a few toys and a little table and a couple of little chairs, but it sure beat roaming the halls with a fidgety toddler for two hours every Sunday!

Tif I hope your neck is better today! ... ?

Tif at least you got out of your talk. I hope that your neck heals fast!!

I think thats a good idea for a class. I wish we had one, even though my little guy is nursery age he hates it in there. He flips whenever I leave him. I end up staying in there with him. I know when I was a nursery leader it bothered me when the parents stayed in there, now that I have my own child I totally understand why they did.

I have to say in our ward there are parents in Nursery ALL the time. We have a lot of AP parents and they don't allow their kids to fuse at all so they stay. I had to stay with John he would not stay in there alone and then I got called as a nursery leader.
    now with Alan he loves it in there. He is still too young but I take him in there each week for a little while to get used to it and 2 weeks ago he stayed in there for 30 minutes without me so that I could do sharing time without him climbing on me Our new nursery leader is awesome and there are only 3 or 4 kids in there so she doesn't mind him staying as long as he doesn't cry.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Alison when I was a nursery leader I was all for parents leaving their kids in there if they needed to before they were old enough. If they came in and wanted to play then I tell them to leave them it only gets them used to it!

We have a room right next to RS that's made into a nursing room/play room for those with younger kids. There is a baby monitor hooked up so we could hear the RS meeting, some toys, and books, a playpen, swing, and two nursing chairs. It's definitely helped me out more than a few times! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get a calling in nursery when my LO is there!

I need some help ladies. I was never really in primary when I was younger and my 11yo DS has to do a Sr Scripture talk in primary. What exactly does he have to do? Do we just pick out a Scripture that corresponds with the theme of the month? I get so nervous helping him because speaking in public is one of my weaknesses, not to mention how nervous I get just helping him prepare talks.

Tif, how's your neck?

I almost forgot… I got my Patriarchal Blessing a few weeks ago!!! FINALLY!!! It was so awesome. Since my DH is a non-member I was hoping that he could come with me, but he was at SWAT school and wasn’t able to come, but my mom did, so that was nice. My mom said it was one of the best Blessings that she’s heard.

So now I just need to get my DH to join the church. I'm hoping that when he see's how important the gospel is in my life he'll want that too. I really want my family to be sealed together. We're getting closer.. slowly, but closer!

I had the missionaries over last night and I told them how horrible I am at studying my Scriptures, so they are going to come once a week and do Scripture study with me. They are so sweet!

Sorry, I feel like I had a lot to say... it's been a while since I've been in here again. I really want to spend more time in this room and get to know all of you better.
    Last edited by Brandles; 10-20-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Me- Brandy (34) DH- Eric (36), DS- Danny (16), DS- Dylan (13), DS- Landon (3)
    10/2001 4 weeks, 9/2008 5 weeks, 3/2012 10 weeks

Brandles congrats on getting your patriarchal blessing! Sorry your DH wasnt able to be there with you to get it, that would of been super special for him to be. I loved when I got mine and I read it frequently until I got married lol. My husband has his typed up really small and laminated and he carries in his scriptures.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandles View Post

I need some help ladies. I was never really in primary when I was younger and my 11yo DS has to do a Sr Scripture talk in primary. What exactly does he have to do? Do we just pick out a Scripture that corresponds with the theme of the month? I get so nervous helping him because speaking in public is one of my weaknesses, not to mention how nervous I get just helping him prepare talks.
    that's super about your patriarchal blessing! Very cool.

For the talk, at least in our primary, the kid just chooses their favorite scripture to read when they are assigned the scripture. Then they read the monthly theme too. If it's a talk, too, though IDK... I'd call someone in the primary presidency to find out for sure. Oh wait a minute... unless this already happened. In which case, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Brandles congrats on getting your patriarchal blessing! Sorry your DH wasnt able to be there with you to get it, that would of been super special for him to be. I loved when I got mine and I read it frequently until I got married lol. My husband has his typed up really small and laminated and he carries in his scriptures.
    My husband has this too! Though his isn't truly laminated... he coated it with several strips of clear packing tape.

Heather thats funny LOL! I want to get mine done that way but I always forget to do it.

So whats everyones plans for Halloween? I guess our ward doesnt do the trunk or treating anymore, it got to big and the parents didnt feel that it was safe anymore. I wonder if it was our whole stake and some parents just didnt know other parents in the stake. I think Preston is to young to go door to door so I was looking forward to the trunk or treating. I think we will go where my grandma lives and do it with cousins!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

John's blessing is "laminated" with Scotch tape! I haven't read mine in years. I should find where it's at and give it a read...

We are going to probably hit my mom's ward's trunk-or-treat around 4:30 on Saturday. They are having a chili cook-off after that and I think we'll stick around for that and then head back into town to our building for trunk or treating at 7:30...the girls still have plenty of candy left from last year but John and I need them to get a bunch more so we have a good variety to pilfer from

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    ...the girls still have plenty of candy left from last year but John and I need them to get a bunch more so we have a good variety to pilfer from
    I'm so glad to hear other parents admit to this! It's our dirty little secret here at our house.

Thats so funny Tif. Kev's has been shrunk down and then it was actually laminated. He said he did it at kinkos. I really want to get mine done.

Tif yours sounds like fun a chili cook off! We have our ward party wed but we probably will not go. I didnt grow up going so its a little weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    that's super about your patriarchal blessing! Very cool.

For the talk, at least in our primary, the kid just chooses their favorite scripture to read when they are assigned the scripture. Then they read the monthly theme too. If it's a talk, too, though IDK... I'd call someone in the primary presidency to find out for sure. Oh wait a minute... unless this already happened. In which case, nevermind.
    No, he doesn't have to do it until the 6th. I'm going to call someone tonight. ty

Our ward is having the trunk-or-treat at 5pm Saturday. This will be my first year attending, so I'm looking forward to it!!

Tif, the chili cook off sounds like fun!!

Brandles - that's awesome you got your patriarchal blessing! I still don't have mine. I've had the recommend to get one for a few months, I just haven't called and set up the appt with the patriarch. I am eager to get it, but I haven't been very good lately about saying my personal prayers or scripture study so I feel kind of unworthy to receive it at this time, I guess.

That stinks that your ward doesn't do trunk or treat anymore, Brandi. I can imagine that if it was the whole stake it would be huge! Ours it just in our building parking lot and is just for the families that go to that building. We only have 2 wards and a Spanish branch in our building, so it's big, but not huge like it would be if our whole stake was there. This year they are doing a carnival with games and stuff from 5-6pm, and then trunk or treating from 6-7pm. Though I still don't have a costume for Liam, so I gotta get on that quick!

Liam was too young for candy last year, and what little candy he got, DH and I ate. I suppose this year it will be the same. He can have a few pieces, and I will probably eat the rest. I have a major sweet tooth so candy doesn't last long in this house.

Tif, have fun at the chili cook off, sounds delicious! I won second place in our chili cook off last year. It's next weekend for our ward, but I have a baptism to go to so I probably will miss the cook off. And chili is my very favorite food, I look forward to chili cook off every year!
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

We are having our Ward Trunk or Treat on Saturday at 5 so we'll be going for that. I'm in charge of one of the kids games (fishing). We are doing Chili too. But we were just asked to bring Sides/Toppings and a Dessert. So I'm bringing Corn (we LOVE corn in our Chili) and I'm not sure what else.
    I'm really hoping I can get Evan to go with me. He didn't tell me No when I asked but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    What are your kids dressing up as??
    John is going to be a Mummy and Alan is just wearing a halloween shirt.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Preston is going as Tigger. He loves Tigger and asks to watch him everyday. So we found a costume at Target!

Liam is going to be a lion. I am so last minute and just got it today. I also found a small stuffed lion, so he can carry that around (he loves stuffed animals), I thought it would be cute for him to be "daddy" lion and have a "baby" lion.

Not sure what the girls will be. We might do a redo of last year's ghost costumes just because they will just barely fit still this year and they are so so cute! I think they decided that they would be ghosts to our party and fairy ballerinas to my mom's. They might end up being goth fairies, just because of the white face and black lipstick they use for the ghosts!

Quote Originally Posted by hpfan04 View Post
    Brandles - that's awesome you got your patriarchal blessing! I still don't have mine. I've had the recommend to get one for a few months, I just haven't called and set up the appt with the patriarch. I am eager to get it, but I haven't been very good lately about saying my personal prayers or scripture study so I feel kind of unworthy to receive it at this time, I guess.

That stinks that your ward doesn't do trunk or treat anymore, Brandi. I can imagine that if it was the whole stake it would be huge! Ours it just in our building parking lot and is just for the families that go to that building. We only have 2 wards and a Spanish branch in our building, so it's big, but not huge like it would be if our whole stake was there. This year they are doing a carnival with games and stuff from 5-6pm, and then trunk or treating from 6-7pm. Though I still don't have a costume for Liam, so I gotta get on that quick!

Liam was too young for candy last year, and what little candy he got, DH and I ate. I suppose this year it will be the same. He can have a few pieces, and I will probably eat the rest. I have a major sweet tooth so candy doesn't last long in this house.

Tif, have fun at the chili cook off, sounds delicious! I won second place in our chili cook off last year. It's next weekend for our ward, but I have a baptism to go to so I probably will miss the cook off. And chili is my very favorite food, I look forward to chili cook off every year!
    Awwww, sorry you have to miss the chili cook off. Our ward is actually doing cups of chicken noodle soup this year. Hopefully you'll get back in to the swing of things and you can get your Patriarchal Blessing soon. I have no idea why I didn't have mine when I was younger, but I'm glad I do now!

Landon is going to be a CHEESEBURGER!! I know, I know... I wanted him to be something all cute and childish, but my husband usually has to work and he's actually of this year so I thought I'd let him choose the costume. I guess you can tell that my DH LOVES food! lol!!

Good morning ladies, I don't post in here very often but I'm in here quite a bit just reading. I need some advice I was just called as our ward's RS Pres. and I'm overwhelmed just at the thought of it. (DH and I have only been members for less than two years; we got our endowments and were sealed in March) I wanted to say no so badly when my bishop called DH and I in on Sunday but really, how can I say no??

sooooo.... I have two foster children ages 2 and 1, I’m 6 months pregnant.... I work full time and help DH run our own business I don’t have a moment to sit down as it is…..... I could go on and on,.... I know that there are many women who can juggle all of these things and are RS Presidents I'm just afraid I won't be able to do a good job or give it my all especially after the baby is born.
    Any words of wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Hi I'm Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by 1morebaby View Post
    Good morning ladies, I don't post in here very often but I'm in here quite a bit just reading. I need some advice I was just called as our ward's RS Pres. and I'm overwhelmed just at the thought of it. (DH and I have only been members for less than two years; we got our endowments and were sealed in March) I wanted to say no so badly when my bishop called DH and I in on Sunday but really, how can I say no??

sooooo.... I have two foster children ages 2 and 1, Iím 6 months pregnant.... I work full time and help DH run our own business I donít have a moment to sit down as it isÖ..... I could go on and on,.... I know that there are many women who can juggle all of these things and are RS Presidents I'm just afraid I won't be able to do a good job or give it my all especially after the baby is born.

Thank you
    Congratulations on your calling! I know it feels overwhelming, but everything will be okay.

I haven't been there, but my MIL was the RS president for a long time. She just got released and someone asked her what she was going to do with all her time now that she wasn't the RS pres, and she said that she didn't have anymore time, she was still just as busy, even though she hadn't added any additional things to her life. She said that with her calling the Lord made time for it in her life. So, just think of it that way - that even though you are very busy with work and family, the Lord will make time for it in your schedule. And just know that you are the right person for this calling and you are exactly what the ladies in your ward need, otherwise the Lord would not have called you. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 1morebaby View Post

sooooo.... I have two foster children ages 2 and 1, I’m 6 months pregnant.... I work full time and help DH run our own business I don’t have a moment to sit down as it is…..... I could go on and on,.... I know that there are many women who can juggle all of these things and are RS Presidents I'm just afraid I won't be able to do a good job or give it my all especially after the baby is born.

Thank you
    I can relate pretty well. My dh was called to the bishopric in August (our bishop is from the Ivory Coast and speaks English as a second language). I am the first counselor in the RS pres (presidency called in June and the pres is a 75 yo widow who is a temple worker and works at employment services). Dh is just in his 3rd year of teaching which is very time consuming and we have a 3 yo and a 6 month old. We have a very needy ward (lots of widows and low income areas). It often seems like there is too much asked of us. Luckily we have 3 sets of inner-city missionary couples to help with welfare and things.

Anyway, we went as a RS to see the Joseph Smith film and I was just inspired by it. They portrayed some members saying that they fell away because Joseph asked too much of them. Then Joseph and Emma are talking and Emma asks Joseph if he ever thought the Lord asked too much of him and he said, "I never let myself ask that." I can tell you that we have found ways to adjust to the demands on our time. We're still working on getting more alone time together as a couple...but you know how that is with little ones.

My best advice would be to talk to your stake RS pres whenever you have a question. That is a big part of her responsibilities. She can give you most of the answers you'll need and she can tell you when you need to discuss something with your bishop. Do your best. That is all that is asked. Delegate whatever you can to your counselors.

again.
    Last edited by moosh34; 11-04-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Congrats on the new calling! Eeeek!

Have you ever served in a presidency before? I have never been in the RS presidency but I've been in the YW presidency twice now. The most time consuming part is the meetings. The interminable meetings! LOL Otherwise, it should not be terribly time consuming, if you have good counselors and delegate, delegate, delegate. Our YW president is very good at delegating and therefore I and the other ladies always have something to do. Hopefully you will have some good sisters to serve with you. I know that the blessings we receive as we serve in the church far exceed any time or energy we are required to put into those callings.

I was called into the primary right after I was baptized - not soon after that I was called to be the RS secretary and I've been doing that for about 9 months so I'm familiar with RS…… I'm just FREAKING out about the huge responsibility and the time requirements as well as my abilities on doing a good job. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement
    Last edited by crazylemon; 11-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Hi I'm Melanie

Can I whine here for a second?

Our ward's primary program is this Sunday. I am so irritated by the fact that there IS a primary program, but I guess that means I need to be more supportive of general church authorities who design these programs right? Okay, okay... So, the last 2 Sundays the primary has been practicing in the chapel during Sunday School and RS hours. So boring. Now they want to have an EXTRA practice Friday night from 6-7:30 p.m. My daughter has choir from 4-5:30 p.m. so we'd have to just drive straight from choir to the church (several of the choir kids are in primary). I have a YW presidency meeting Friday afternoon, so will likely go straight from there to choir.
    Then Saturday morning my husband has an EQ presidency meeting at the church at 8:30 a.m. before a worldwide broadcast at 10 a.m. I am also supposed to attend the broadcast, but that is impossible unless we bring our kids (not happening!). Sunday there's church and then Sunday evening I am in charge of a slideshow and programs for our YWIE, so I'll be back there another couple of hours.

All of this plus normal stuff like kids' gymnastics, trying to clean the house and yard, grocery shop, etc. I'm feeling overchurched in the next three days!

I feel ya, heather. Last week on Tuesday I had a meeting with the Stk RS counselor over me. Wed was a 3 hour meeting with my presidency plus some welfare visits. Thursday I had a Stake Auxillary training while John drug the girls to his EQ presidency mtg. Friday was a ward activity we had to go to because EQ was sponsoring it. Saturday was adult Stk conference/priesthood. We skipped the adult evening session because it was also the fundraising auction at Keira's school which I was part of in the planning. Sunday was Stk conference. Tuesday this week was our monthly RS meeting where I was teaching two classes. Yesterday was the anniversay of Taela's death and another presidency mtg which I ditched. Tonight John is supposed to chaperone a youth baptism trip and Saturday at 8am is the worldwide training that we both are supposed to be at-still working on childcare. Sunday Scharae is supposed to give a talk in primary, I'm supposed to play the organ and teach RS and John is supposed to teach gospel doctrine and the EQ.

On top of all of this is the whole emotional Taela factor embittered by the still raw Aiyana emotions.

On the best of days John is bitter about the time away from family the church seems to require of each of us-which is compounded by him commuting two hours each way-but it's weeks like these that I have to pull strength from every fiber of my being because he'd just as soon quit altogether

Wow girls it sounds like you guys are super busy.
    Heather I dont think its right that they want to do another practice on a friday night, that sounds so silly.
    Tif I've been praying for you and your cute family, I would of ditched some meetings as well.

I was so upset because my husband forgot to take some Scentsy stuff to a lady for me (we only have one car) and he was going to pick up a check for another order. Well he comes home gets the stuff and kisses me goodbye and leaves again for a High Adventure training thing for Scouts. So he comes home and he spends an hour with our little guy before his bedtime. I seriously hate nights like this and not to mention about how discouraged he is with the young mens program in our ward.

Oh I have a question, can you buy G's online? I seriously had a friend on facebook ask if I had a current temple rec to buy G's online. I havent met this person in real life but I do know her mom and I have NO idea why she would ask me this. After I answered her she never responded back. Anyways any one know if you can buy G's online? That seems weird.

I buy them online. I believe you just have to be endowed-you can wear Gs even if your recommend isn't valid. As long as those privileges haven't been revoked. You log in at ldscatalog and provide your member record number and confirmation date. Nice and easy.

Good to know Tif. I know when I go and buy G's I dont have to have my rec with me. They just look me up in the computer. I just didnt know that you could buy them online. I guess I'm used to Utah because in about every bigger town you can buy them.

We always buy them online (ldscatalog.com). You need an LDS account, which you get from entering your member number and confirmation date (the same account is used to access all LDS sites like lds.org's stake/ward web site section, and the new beta Personal Progress tracking). I think from your member info they can tell if you are an endowed member or not. I know your recommend doesn't have to be current, because they want people who have been endowed to be able to keep those covenants even if they are having other struggles in their lives. The nearest Beehive Clothing for us is St. Louis, which is 3 hours away.

I really need to have a better attitude about things. I'm just really stressed out lately. My SIL committed suicide two weeks ago and since then, my sister has gone completely nuts. She's a complete alcoholic and it's not affecting her brain to the point that she hallucinates and is paranoid. She pointed a loaded gun at her husband and has been telling me crazy lies about having found my SIL's dead body before anyone else and having a talk with her. Her husband is filing for divorce today. I'm actually glad because he is the WORST enabler ever. I just want her to get arrested, because when she's in prison, we get along great. That's sad. But it's true.