Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1894

Thread: LDS Moms

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Did I mention how bad it sucks to be on crutches and have 3 kids on my own all day???
    Goodness, that definitely can't be easy! Why are you on crutches? (I must have missed it if you talked about it before. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    He went to Guatemala. I think City North was his specific calling area.
    Cool!!! I always find it kind of funny when missionaries come back from foreign countries and they have a hard time being back home - culturally, I mean, like they can't think of words in English again because their brains have been so used to speaking the native language of where they were. I bet your brother will be that way too.
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

I'm a klutz. I slipped on a broken egg while making cupcakes Thursday afternoon and dislocated my knee. It is SO annoying. :/

Heather ouch!!! I hope it heals fast!

Tif I'm so upset about that shooting as well. I did not hear about it until this afternoon and it just breaks my heart.

Shanna thats cool that your brother will be home soon. My SIL is on a mission in Spain right now and she'll actually be home in a month. We are traveling to CA to surprise her when she comes home, she has no idea that we are going to be there! She hasnt seen Preston since he was 3 months old.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I'm a klutz. I slipped on a broken egg while making cupcakes Thursday afternoon and dislocated my knee. It is SO annoying. :/
    Ok, not to totally make light of you having done that and being in pain, but that seriously sounds like a line from a tv show, esp combined with the broken toe (foot?) from a frozen turkey! Your life is so exciting, Heather!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Hope it heals quickly and that the kids are good for you until you are healed.

Thanks ladies.
    Yes Tif, I am a danger in the kitchen. And both times, it was Penny (she shoved the frozen turkey off the table and onto my foot T-giving '08 and she dropped and broke the slippery egg last week). She's out to get me!

The bishop shooting is so horrible. I mean - in some instances you might expect there to be a risk of death, but not as a bishop, in a church, in America, on a Sunday morning.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I finally have a friend at church Not that having a friend in the ward should make a huge difference in my attitude towards going to church...but it does. My one friend in Oregon moved 2 hours south in July which has left me floundering. I lived here for a year and a half before she moved here-I knew her vaguely (and didn't really like her ) up in Washington-and it wasn't until she moved in that I really felt like anyone knew me at church. I was seriously still getting "are you new?" comments 18 months in Anyhow, this new couple moved in about the time Nat moved out and I got together with Amy today to sew. We sewed all afternoon and then she stayed for dinner and her husband came over to hang out with John while we finished up and then the guys had an EQ presidency meeting-he's John's new secretary. It was a blast and I seriously feel like I just had a very successful "first date" How dumb is that? But all the same, it makes me want to make sure I go to my meetings and activities just that much more!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yay Tif thats awesome! Oh and dont feel bad I still get the comments "are you new here" and I've lived in the ward my entire life. I always had a calling outside of RS and then I had Preston and now he's in nursery and not been going real well. I'm so glad that you found a friend!

LOL about your first date, Tif.

In our lesson in YW yesterday, our president read a bit about Helen Keller and then asked us, if we could have our sight for only three days, what are the places we would want to see the most?

Thought provoking. Tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    I finally have a friend at church Not that having a friend in the ward should make a huge difference in my attitude towards going to church...but it does. My one friend in Oregon moved 2 hours south in July which has left me floundering. I lived here for a year and a half before she moved here-I knew her vaguely (and didn't really like her ) up in Washington-and it wasn't until she moved in that I really felt like anyone knew me at church. I was seriously still getting "are you new?" comments 18 months in Anyhow, this new couple moved in about the time Nat moved out and I got together with Amy today to sew. We sewed all afternoon and then she stayed for dinner and her husband came over to hang out with John while we finished up and then the guys had an EQ presidency meeting-he's John's new secretary. It was a blast and I seriously feel like I just had a very successful "first date" How dumb is that? But all the same, it makes me want to make sure I go to my meetings and activities just that much more!
    That's awesome, Tif! I don't have a whole lot of friends in my ward either, so I often feel awkward in RS or Enrichment. And I have been here 5 years. But it is so nice that you found another couple in the ward that you hit it off with!

LOL about your first date, Tif.

In our lesson in YW yesterday, our president read a bit about Helen Keller and then asked us, if we could have our sight for only three days, what are the places we would want to see the most?

Thought provoking. Tell me.
    Hmm... that's a tough one. Assuming I could travel that quick in 3 days, I'd want to see Ireland, the San Diego temple and other things in San Diego (the Zoo and Sea World), and I'd want to see Alaska. Oh, and maybe Hawaii or wherever it is that they have those ginormous waves you see in pictures. I've always wanted to see waves that big. And I'd want do all this with my family so I could see their faces too.

So this past weekend Elder Holland was at our old stake (2 hours north of here, still in IN) for their stake conference. DANGIT! We were tempted to go but we had other things going on. My friend who was there said he opened with saying, "Don't worry. We're not here to excommunicate your stake president... we'll do that next week."
    We are having Elder Andersen at our stake conference the weekend after general conference. I'm pretty excited about it. A guy from the stake high council spoke at church yesterday and said that they have no idea what is going to happen, that when a general authority visits, they call all the shots - the speakers, the topics, even the hymns that the choir sings, and so far they have received no information. Should be interesting.

Heather we had Elder Holland here in June at our Stake Conference. He's a very funny man! You are so right they call all the shots. The sunday during Stake Conference we knew who was speaking and everything and all of a sudden the Stake President stood up and said Elder Holland just asked me to please have Brother Welling (our stake patriarch) to come up and bare his testimony. It was totally crazy! They are so in tune with the Spirit. He also blessed our stake, at first he said he wanted to bless those who were within hearing range and then he said, I have the impression that there are some who are not here that need this blessing. So he extended it out to all our loved ones. Little did he know that a lady in our ward had just been diagnosed with lukemia and was in SLC getting chemo, and was not able to be at the stake conference. We all sobbed like babies!

So we leave next monday for California, my SIL flies in off her mission tuesday. Its crazy that she's already coming home. We took her to the MTC April 2009, Preston was just a little guy then and she hasnt seen him since. She hasnt even met our niece that was born this last Jan. I cant wait to see her and I think my husband is super excited to see her and not anyone else lol.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been in here. Hope all is doing well!!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    I'm so happy that you have a friend in your ward. It really does make a differance, at least for me it does!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Heather we had Elder Holland here in June at our Stake Conference. He's a very funny man! You are so right they call all the shots. The sunday during Stake Conference we knew who was speaking and everything and all of a sudden the Stake President stood up and said Elder Holland just asked me to please have Brother Welling (our stake patriarch) to come up and bare his testimony. It was totally crazy! They are so in tune with the Spirit. He also blessed our stake, at first he said he wanted to bless those who were within hearing range and then he said, I have the impression that there are some who are not here that need this blessing. So he extended it out to all our loved ones. Little did he know that a lady in our ward had just been diagnosed with lukemia and was in SLC getting chemo, and was not able to be at the stake conference. We all sobbed like babies!

So we leave next monday for California, my SIL flies in off her mission tuesday. Its crazy that she's already coming home. We took her to the MTC April 2009, Preston was just a little guy then and she hasnt seen him since. She hasnt even met our niece that was born this last Jan. I cant wait to see her and I think my husband is super excited to see her and not anyone else lol.
    Brandi, where in California are you going? Congratulations on your sisters homecoming! Where did she go on her mission?
    Me- Brandy (34) DH- Eric (36), DS- Danny (16), DS- Dylan (13), DS- Landon (3)
    10/2001 4 weeks, 9/2008 5 weeks, 3/2012 10 weeks

Brandi that's super exciting about your SIL coming back. I hope you have a good trip!

Brandles we are going to Sacramento area. My sister in law served in the Barcelona Spain mission.

Heather I hope we have a good trip also. Our last trip was so horrible that I'm hoping this one is better because we will be staying longer. I get to go to Newark and do a Scentsy party for a friend while I'm in town otherwise we would come home sooner.

I'm stating to really get scared about my brother coming home. I wrote him a few times, but then with everything that happened with Robbie I stopped writing for a while. And by the time all the really scary stuff was over and I could finally breath again it was too hard to write. I didn't feel like I could just start writing about anything again, without talking about Robbie, the nicu, and everything else. And it was just too hard to write about any of that. So I never wrote him. In almost a year and half I never wrote.
    And while he has been out growing stronger and stronger in the Church I went from being "not Mormon, but still believes in God" to Atheists.
    I know I have a lot of anxiety problems in general, but I'm freaking out. I kind of wish I could just avoid everything. I feel horrible for being scared about him coming home, but I am.
    He'll be here in 8 days.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I'm stating to really get scared about my brother coming home. I wrote him a few times, but then with everything that happened with Robbie I stopped writing for a while. And by the time all the really scary stuff was over and I could finally breath again it was too hard to write. I didn't feel like I could just start writing about anything again, without talking about Robbie, the nicu, and everything else. And it was just too hard to write about any of that. So I never wrote him. In almost a year and half I never wrote.
    And while he has been out growing stronger and stronger in the Church I went from being "not Mormon, but still believes in God" to Atheists.
    I know I have a lot of anxiety problems in general, but I'm freaking out. I kind of wish I could just avoid everything. I feel horrible for being scared about him coming home, but I am.
    He'll be here in 8 days.
    Shanna if it makes you feel any better we only wrote my SIL once. We only ever got forwarded e-mails from my husbands mom. I would not worry about it and just be excited that he'll be home soon and finally get to meet Robbie! My mom's family is not active in the church at all and I have a cousin on my dads who is not LDS. We just do not discuss religion period, so even though your not LDS and you now consider yourself to be Atheist I would not worry about what your brother thinks and I would not bring it up. *hugs* hang in there and just enjoy this time with your brother and funny how he comes home in 8 days because my SIL will be home tuesday! Yay so excited to see her!

He'll be here in 8 days.
    (((hugs)))
    My husband's younger sister completely left the church while he was on his mission. He came home two years later to a blue-haired, sexually active sixteen year old (where he'd left a blond haired adorable sweet fourteen year old Mia Maid!). But you know - he didn't care. He loved her anyway. He says now (thirteen years later, and she's still not interested in the church) that he needed the experience of his mission to develop true love for others, and that's why even though it was surprising to him, he accepted her and loved her and it didn't make him sad or uncomfortable. His other sister had already left the church. But it's kind of odd, his two brothers are both very active in the church, but my husband isn't close at all with them. He's much much closer to his sisters.
    So try not to worry. I know he will be happy to see you and everything else can be discussed later on, when there's time... no need to rush anything or feel like you need to be on the defensive.

This is going to sound totally catty of me (hence I am asking you ladies when I see none of you IRL ) - my sister in law (DH's brother's wife) just posted a bunch of pics of their cruise (my in-laws went and stayed with their 3 kids while they went to Puerto Rico/caribbean for ten days or so) and it seems that she did not wear her garments, like, at ALL. Swimsuits, duuuuh, I get that - I'm certainly no prude who swims in a scuba suit. But even at dinner - she was in a very low cut sleeveless (I mean like, cleavage, and under-cleavage) gown, and on bike rides in halter tops. I'm just really puzzled. We are not close to them, mainly because they seem to have a lot of problems and DH's brother works a lot. My SIL went back to work full time a couple of years ago and they hired a nanny full time (they have gobs of money) but that didn't make her happy either so she's been going all over (Vegas, CA - the live in UT) training to be a personal trainer and she works out all the time now. The in-laws have hinted that there are marital problems but nothing specific. I think we just assumed it was because the husband works so much. We spent one night with them back in May on our vacation (the husband was away on business) and it was totally awkward. Felt like SIL didn't want us there or something, though when we were leaving she did ask if we wanted to have a prayer, so... IDK what to think.
    Would you be concerned? I know it's silly really to be worried about my SIL's underwear of all things, but it just does make me wonder if they are having struggles other than just with each other, but with the church as well?

Heather I would totally wonder but I would never say anything. I have an aunt and uncle who were married in the temple but no longer wear their g's I have no idea why but I figured it was none of my business. Maybe it was super hot there and they didnt want to be roasting while they were gone? Really I have no idea but I have a friend who is not married in the temple but her sisters are and whenever they go on vacations like that none of the ones that are wear their g's. My parents went on one years ago and both wore theirs.

I dont think I would be concerned if they wanted you to know they would call and tell you. If you arent close with them and rarely talk then I would not worry about it. You have to much on your plate to worry about them as well.

You have to much on your plate to worry about them as well.
    Very true. I guess I'm not so much worried as curious/concerned. I have only ever known one person who purposely did not wear his garment after having been through the temple; he left the church and was excommunicated about a year later. To me, it's a small act and an even smaller sacrifice, so to give that up would be a big deal. You can't in good conscience enter the temple without being able to answer that you do wear it day and night, yk?

I'll stop thinking about my SIL's underpants now.

You are right Heather. I could not enter the temple knowing that I only wear my G's when its convient for me. I would feel horrible. Oh and dont worry I'd be curious as well, infact I would probably try and find a question that I could ask and snoop around lol. But then again I'm nosy lol.

Well I have to confess I don't always wear mine. It sounds silly but part of my going back to church without DH we made an agreement. It wouldn't tear us apart / put a rift between us if that makes sense. And he no longer wears his and he prefers me to not be in them. I wear them on the days he works and not on his days off. Writing this out makes me feel really guilty but I also believe that my hubby being attracted to me is important and he was really turned off by me wearing them. Sorry off topic but I felt the need to confess. Oh and I don't go to the temple though.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

You can confess to us.
    I didn't mean to make you or anyone else feel bad. I was just surprised. As far as we knew (which isn't very far), they were both still really active in the church, but possibly that has changed.
    They live on the same street as President Uchtdorf for pete's sake!

I think each of us has to decide when it's okay to not wear them, for ourselves. I don't wear mine when I work out usually because (a) getting the sports bra over it is pretty difficult, (b) I do not want anyone else in the locker room to see them, and (c) sweaty drisilque is naaaasty. I also don't wear them when I go to the doctor usually, because once a doctor tried to listen to my lungs through my back and I wasn't expecting it and he saw them. For the GYN I still wear them because I undress alone. I don't wear them swimming obviously but even on the way to and from the pool I usually don't - and at amusement parks where there is swimming/water, I don't wear them. Otherwise I do wear them pretty much all the time. I guess I don't really even think about it that much.

Honestly I am really surprised at how many people treat their garments. I've never been through the temple so I don't understand everything about them, but I do feel like their are some hypocrisies.
    My old bishop told the youth it was ok to not wear garments when it might make others uncomfortable. And my YW leaders used to talk about how they buy their garments one or two sizes smaller so they could wear shorter sleeves, slightly lower cuts, and shorter shorts. These people were supposed to be our examples, and instead they gave us a guide to cheating the commandments. So in my experience it wouldn't be too surprising if the garments just came off for the cruise.
    hope it's ok I posted that.

As far as my brother, I really hope to just never talk about religion, and I won't be bringing it up. But I just feel like after two years of no communication and big changes in both our lives in opposite directions we won't ever have anything to talk about. I think without the difference in beliefs I'd still be nervous about him coming home. I tend to have a lot of anxiety about people/relationships. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.
    And how exciting about your sister Brandi!
    Last edited by intactivstmom; 09-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

I agree with Heather! Confess away!
    I pretty much always wear mine but thats because I dont swim and I rarely work out even though I should lol.

Shanna I can understand why your bishop would say that because if you live outside of Utah you are more then likely going to run into someone who is uncomfortable with them. Of course even when I go to the doctor I wear mine because I just dont care. Though I know that my DH has not worn his before to the doctor when he still lived in CA. However, I can not understand why your YW leaders would be telling you to buy smaller g's to wear shorter shorts. That just baffels my mind.

It might be a little awkward when your brother comes home but I'm sure things will pick right back up. Things happen in 2 years, you obviously got pregnant and had a baby and is expecting again in these 2 years. In the 18 months my sister in law was gone, the family welcomed another baby, my little guy was only a few months old when she left. We've all had a change of jobs and some went back to school, some graduated from high school. Your brother will just be glad to be home and see you again and meet his nephew! Please let us know how it goes! I leave monday through sunday but while I'm gone I'll be checking my internet and I expect to see an update!
    Last edited by BrandiB; 09-23-2010 at 10:43 PM.

However, I can not understand why your YW leaders would be telling you to buy smaller g's to wear shorter shorts. That just baffels my mind.
    This just reminded me, years ago (like, 8 or 9 at least), my MIL told me that this BIL/SIL bought 'petite' or whatever you call them, garments (for short people, but they aren't short people) so they wouldn't show when they wore shorts. Maybe that was the start of it all.

I didn't wear them last year when I was in my BFF's wedding. But that was one day - not even a whole day really - and eventually I felt bad and took the pics off my FB account. Especially after I was friended by some of the YW in our ward.

I have to arrange a babysitter today for the adult session of stake conference in two weeks. Elder Andersen and a seventy (I forget) are coming so it's going to be a packed house.

Maybe that is where it started.
    Good luck finding a sitter. I've never had to find a babysitter outside of family. My little guy would not do well if I left him with someone he rarely knew. He doesnt even do well in nursery.

Hi all, I'm new posting in this room but have been on APA for a while. Some background on me: my DH and I have been married for 11 1/2 yrs. We adopted our daughter (through LDS Family Services) in 08 after several (too many to count ) yrs of struggling and are now trying to get PG using fertility treatments. I think its great to have this kind of support with other LDS women and I would be honored to join with you!

Topic at hand: I always wear my garments (even when I work out, which is not very often) but its just a personal choice for me. I know this will sound funny but I feel naked without them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Britney (me), DH (Mat), DD (Lily), DD (Gwyn)

Welcome Britney!

Is anyone else excited for general conference? I sure am. I went to the RS broadcast Saturday night, but had to leave after 45 minutes because I couldn't see the image. I think it was me (waiting on my mail-order glasses to arrive!) but I also like to think it was just very out of focus for everyone. I watched the rest at home (we live 3 minutes from the stake center, so I guess this might be what it feels like to live in Utah? ). I thought President Monson's talk was sooooo good and exactly what I needed to hear.

We are especially looking forward to hearing from Elder Andersen because he will be coming here to our stake conference the following weekend. We did score a Beehive to babysit our kids so we can go to the adult session - woohoo! It's a pain in the butt though. I feel like I need to pay these girls $10/hour because we have 3 kids (so it's only $3.33 per hour per kid), but then unless they are laurels (and we only have one) I have to pick them up and then take them back home, and if we want to try and get dinner before the conference then that tacks on another hour, making for at least a $35-$40 evening! So... we don't do this very often.