Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1894

Thread: LDS Moms

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Today is my Mormon birthday. I'm 13! (How appropriate that I'm serving in YW LOL)
    Happy Mormon Birthday!

I've never been to Palmyra or to Hill Cummorah. I'd love to go someday.
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

Today is my Mormon birthday. I'm 13! (How appropriate that I'm serving in YW LOL)
    Happy Mormon Birthday!!

Thx! My husband brought me 2 white roses today.

Thx! My husband brought me 2 white roses today.
    Awww thats so sweet!

Yeah, he's pretty much the best.

So, the inter-christian last days thread has me a bit upset. If you've read it, tell me what you think, or go read it if you haven't. Am I being overly dramatic? I left the computer and thought this over while I slept the floor before I posted what I did. I felt I needed to point out the fact that we were being differentiated from "Christians." I think we all know it's not the first time it's happened in this forum, but I'm just tired of it. I also know we've been encouraged by our leaders to use the internet and new media to spread the gospel. To me, that's as basic as pointing out that we are indeed Christians.

Is that out of line?

I think if a member believes we're not Christians, fine. But unless they are being asked directly to answer, "Do you believe Mormons are Christians?" interjecting that belief into a thread about something else entirely is completely inappropriate and is precisely why so many members (not just members of the LDS church, as I learned from the other thread Brad started in Random about changes) feel shunned in this forum.

I try and normally just stay in this room here in the Christian room. I find it very offensive when others say we are not Christian. However I did just post a little something in that thread because you told us to go take a look. I hate debates though so I may lurk in there but not post.

Thx Brandi I don't want to be a rabblerouser. I just refuse to ignore statements that we aren't Christian. Or that any church isn't Christian. Even when it's subtle or veiled. The intent is there.

In other news... I did all my visiting teaching this week! For the first time in... a long time, I'm ashamed to say. I think having kids back in school has made it easier for the sisters we visit and my companion. Everyone except me!

I dont blame you Heather oh and the thread is now gone? More issues or did it get closed?

Well dang, Heather, the thread is gone. Lost, I'm guessing. But I get offended too when people say we aren't Christians. And the real head scratcher is that we're the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints, so how do they think we are not Christians? And even if our beliefs are a little different, I feel like the important part they should be looking at is that we believe in Christ and follow his example. That's all that really should matter when looking who's Christian or not.

Anyway...

I haven't done visiting teaching since May. Usually we go every month, but the summer has thrown us off. So we'll be getting back in the game soon, I imagine. Confession...I hate going. I am so antisocial, and my partner is SO GOOD, with conversation, with spiritual messages, with cute little treats. I feel painfully inadequate next to her. I love her to pieces, but I wish I could have been placed with someone who was a little less...I don't even know less of what.... I guess more like me.

Though considering that in the 5 years I've lived in this ward I've NEVER been visited by my visiting teachers (never even knew who they were), I'd say that me not going for the past 4 months is pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that thread is not coming back in all honesty. It was back after all the mess of it getting lost and now its gone again. Oh well!

Oh and I do not go visiting teaching, I do not have a route. Before I got married I went and then I asked to not go anymore. I was working LONG hours and my partner was an older lady who had the entire day to do it and she always wanted to go before I got off work. I was just tired of it so I asked for them to remove me. I have great visiting teachers though, they come every single month and I just LOVE them!

Kyli I think that you not going 4 months is totally fine, especially if you dont know who yours are.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Thread's being discussed

I hate VT...and yet I feel bad because I have had some awesome ones at some very important times of my life. I just got put with a new one starting September, so we'll see how that goes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    Thread's being discussed

I hate VT...and yet I feel bad because I have had some awesome ones at some very important times of my life. I just got put with a new one starting September, so we'll see how that goes.
    You know I was just thinking about how many different VT's I've had. I had the same one for a VERY long time and then her and her husband went on a mission (I really miss her as my VT). Her partner when she left is still my VT and I just LOVE her. She is the one that went to the temple with me!

My visiting teachers suck at the moment. One of them has been my VT since the start of the year and has only come once, and arrived almost an hour late, so her companion had come and left already. Then that companion moved and I still have the tardy one, and a new one. And these two are BFFs so I know they are together several times during the week, watching each others' kids, shopping, etc (both their husbands are doctors in the same field). So that irks me. I don't want to be visited every month - but every quarter would be nice. A card would be nice. Something so that I don't feel totally awkward asking for something when I need it.

I would be happy if that thread never came back. I take the blame for it going off in the direction it did, but I don't feel bad for that. It's such a sacred thing to lie/misspeak/whatever about.

Back to VT: My companion is Miss Perfect. Not really her last name, but she's skinny, has long blonde hair, perfect teeth, five kids, a lawyer husband, a huge house that is always spotless, even a polite dog who apparently never sheds. She has two callings at church in addition to visiting teaching. I feel like she has a very close friendship with 2 of the 3 ladies we visit, and I always feel awkward at our appointments because of this. She sees them at other times during the week, so they have a lot more to talk about. She also had this list before I moved here, so it was hard from the start to feel like I could get to know these sisters. visiting teaching... what drama.

LOL your right drama. I live in the same town I've always lived in. So most of the people in my ward are a lot older then me. Though I will admit its kind of weird to have someone my age as the clerk in our ward. He was such a punk in high school I couldnt stand him. He was so rude to everyone, before he left on his mission he told me he was sorry for being rude but I still dont really like the guy lol, now he's our clerk and always asks me and my husband to say the prayer for sacrament meeting.

It does seem like they always ask the same people over and over to say the sacrament meeting prayers in my ward too!

So I organized a girls' night out for ladies in my ward and the other ward with whom we share a building. I invited like 27 women I think. One came. One. I'm pretty bummed about that. I'm glad I still got to go with the one and we had a really fun time, but it's still pretty depressing.

I would of come to your girls night out! Sorry you only had one show up, glad you still had fun though!

It was lame, because the excuse a couple of them gave was that they couldn't go out that late because they had stake leadership training the following morning. The training started at 10:00 a.m., we all live within 10 minutes of the stake center, and I had to go to it too (I think those who chose to use this excuse forgot that).

Oh so hey - I don't want to post this on the main boards, but a few weeks ago I felt the Spirit prompt me to buy a ticket for this St. Jude dream home giveaway thing. They cost $100 each and they sell 6,000 tickets and then the grand prize is a choice of a $265,000 home or $100,000 cash. I felt the spirit was telling me to buy it and give the money to Becky. This was before Becky died of course. Then I felt maybe I was wrong and shouldn't have bought the ticket.

Well. The drawing was today. I only saw the last five minutes on TV, the grand prize, and I didn't win. So I was kind of bummed, because deep down I've just KNOWN we would win! I mean, I've even contemplated how to seen her husband the money - cashier's check, in person...?

Then a few minutes ago my mom called. Her stepmom (who is in no way related to me but whom I know) had been watching and told her that I did win - I won one of the lesser prizes, but still a pretty big deal and the biggest thing I've ever won! I don't want to be prideful and say how much, but it's a huge amount of money worth of groceries and products from a big supermarket here. It would mean not having to buy groceries for about 3 months for our family.

DH agrees that we are going to save the $ we'd be spending on groceries and send it to Becky's husband. It's not the huge amount I'd hoped for, but I know this was meant to be.

Oh so hey - I don't want to post this on the main boards, but a few weeks ago I felt the Spirit prompt me to buy a ticket for this St. Jude dream home giveaway thing. They cost $100 each and they sell 6,000 tickets and then the grand prize is a choice of a $265,000 home or $100,000 cash. I felt the spirit was telling me to buy it and give the money to Becky. This was before Becky died of course. Then I felt maybe I was wrong and shouldn't have bought the ticket.

Well. The drawing was today. I only saw the last five minutes on TV, the grand prize, and I didn't win. So I was kind of bummed, because deep down I've just KNOWN we would win! I mean, I've even contemplated how to seen her husband the money - cashier's check, in person...?

Then a few minutes ago my mom called. Her stepmom (who is in no way related to me but whom I know) had been watching and told her that I did win - I won one of the lesser prizes, but still a pretty big deal and the biggest thing I've ever won! I don't want to be prideful and say how much, but it's a huge amount of money worth of groceries and products from a big supermarket here. It would mean not having to buy groceries for about 3 months for our family.

DH agrees that we are going to save the $ we'd be spending on groceries and send it to Becky's husband. It's not the huge amount I'd hoped for, but I know this was meant to be.
    Oh man, that is so awesome!! And what a wonderful way to share it!

And that stinks about your girls night! We don't have a lot of ladies in our ward that come to things either.

Heather that is awesome!! You are so sweet. Did you know Becky personally? Yay for winning!!

I didn't know Becky IRL. But she and I got our abnormal pap news around the same time early in 2008. She was always so happy for me when I repeatedly got good results even though she was not having such luck. Anyway... I'm totally excited to win. Anything really.

Your so sweet! I love that about you!

My SIL comes home off her mission in like a month. We are taking another trip out to CA and I'm not really looking forward to it. I just wish that when we travel 10 hours, and havent seen anyone in over a year that DH's family would act somewhat glad we are there, even if they fake it lol.

I'm sorry they are whack.
    We always feel sort of odd when around DH's parents and siblings too. I feel like his siblings are closer to each other (2 brothers are close, 2 sisters are close, then there's just... my husband) and also like the g-parents like the other grandkids a bit more. Or just know them better. We're the only ones who live on this side of the Rockies!

Yeah thats how it is with us as well. My husband is not close with any of his family. We are the only ones that live in a different state. But I will admit that I really like most of his cousins and I love his grandma, and great grandma!

I hope it is ok if I post in here for a little while, but I just don't feel like trying to explain missions or getting everyone confused in the general areas. But my brother is coming back from his mission at the end of September. I am so excited. He'll get to see Robbie for the first time in person, and I'll get to tell him about our new bean. Two years is such a looong time.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    I hope it is ok if I post in here for a little while, but I just don't feel like trying to explain missions or getting everyone confused in the general areas. But my brother is coming back from his mission at the end of September. I am so excited. He'll get to see Robbie for the first time in person, and I'll get to tell him about our new bean. Two years is such a looong time.
    How exciting! My two younger sisters are serving missions right now. The youngest one had to have a knee surgery before she left the MTC...so she was at home recovering with dd was born. She went back out again 4 days later. The other sister doesn't get to meet dd until next summer. That will be an exciting time for us.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

So exciting about your brother coming home, Shanna(h)!

I've been kinda bummed about the bishop shot in CA. My brother knew him-rented from the bishop's brother and they were invited to a lot of family things I guess. A coworker of mine used to work for CHP (he's a member) and he just came over and told me and my dad that he called a buddy of his that lives in Visalia (sp?) just to check on things. CHP's not involved at this point but he did know more details than what they're reporting. Apparently an interview with the shooter's brother said that they grew up in that neighborhood and the shooter was molested by someone from some church. He didn't know what church and it sounded like the shooter wasn't even sure, but he harbored so much anger and pain that he just snapped and went to the first church in his neighborhood that he could find and shot the first "church official" he could find

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna(h) View Post
    How exciting!!!! Where did he go on his mission?

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    I've been kinda bummed about the bishop shot in CA. My brother knew him-rented from the bishop's brother and they were invited to a lot of family things I guess. A coworker of mine used to work for CHP (he's a member) and he just came over and told me and my dad that he called a buddy of his that lives in Visalia (sp?) just to check on things. CHP's not involved at this point but he did know more details than what they're reporting. Apparently an interview with the shooter's brother said that they grew up in that neighborhood and the shooter was molested by someone from some church. He didn't know what church and it sounded like the shooter wasn't even sure, but he harbored so much anger and pain that he just snapped and went to the first church in his neighborhood that he could find and shot the first "church official" he could find
    I know, it made me really sad to hear too.

It's horrible. I heard he had six sons and the youngest is three months old. I can't even imagine. I mean, when your husband is soldier in Afghanistan, or even a cop, you sort of expect - though dread - this sort of thing maybe happening. But bishop? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Shannah that is so exciting about your brother! We have a "son" on a mission right now and he'll be home in December. Yeah... not really our son. He's this really great kid who DH used to mentor. He joined the church when he was about 12, with his mom and sister, and they went inactive pretty much immediately. But DH would take Travis on father-son campouts (about 12 yrs age difference, LOL) and lots of people in our ward took turns having him live with them. So we'll be pretty excited when he comes back.

Did I mention how bad it sucks to be on crutches and have 3 kids on my own all day???

Quote Originally Posted by hpfan04 View Post
    How exciting!!!! Where did he go on his mission?
    He went to Guatemala. I think City North was his specific calling area.

"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs." -Maddy Reid
    In memory of all APA babies gone too soon; always loved and never forgotten