Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Good for your husband Brandi! I know they probably will never admit their mistake on the air - so many times I've emailed a show and there's never a correction made. Oprah had a girl on her show a few years ago who was saying that the Mormon church told her that her (dad or brother, I forget which) was going to hell for committing suicide, and that the church had made him feel so depressed about being gay... well basically that the 'Mormons killed my brother' kind of thing. She never had anyone from the Church on to tell the other side of the story.

So my husband had an interesting thing happen at school yesterday. He was having a major problem with his portable hard drive not working - so he was totally freaking out because everything is on that thing - and he was going around the room trying different computers. So he overheard a conversation 3 other people were having, but the room is small so it's not like he was eavesdropping, yk? Anyway, one girl is from Utah and someone asked if she was Mormon. She said, "No, Mormons don't like me. My parents are Mormon, but I'm not. Mormons think I'm evil!" kind of jokingly. Then this other guy, who my husband considers a friend but apparently didn't realize David is LDS, said, "Oh well. Mormons think everyone is evil!" And they all laughed. David said he felt like he should say something, but he was so angry and worried about his computer problem he was afraid he'd sound really mean. He also knew if he said anything (even jokingly said, "Hey I don't hate you!") they would all feel really embarrassed and apologetic, and he didn't want to make them feel bad either. So he just let it eat away at him all night. Luckily he did get his hard drive fixed. I think he may have secretly given it a blessing after I went to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    I think he may have secretly given it a blessing after I went to bed.

I think that a lot of people who leave the church feel like "mormons" don't like them because they are "evil" or whatever. My sister kind of has that attitude. Drives me crazy. Most people probably like her just as much as they ever did whether she's mormon or not. I don't base how much I like somebody because of their religion.

Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    So I have to tell you all I just love my husband and I love how he stands up for our religion. Last night we were watching the TLC channel and they were doing a show about pologmy. Well they kept calling them Mormons and every time he'd hear that word he'd get all upset. So last night he e-mails them, like a whole page worth. So this morning we get this e-mail from the network saying that because of so many e-mails they get there is no way to respond to them all. Well this evening he checked his e-mail and there was sure enough something from the network! They forwarded his comments and concerns on to their management and that they appreciated what he had to say. He basically told them that the pologimists are not mormon and that he expects them to get their facts straight before they air a tv show like this and then he explained when they broke off from our church and all the good stuff. I'm just so excited that he actually got a response, he even told them that he would appreciate it if they would come on the air and clarify.
    That is great!! I probably would have just been annoyed and quietly stewed about it for a few days. I hope they try to make a correction on the air.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by katrina131h View Post

I think that a lot of people who leave the church feel like "mormons" don't like them because they are "evil" or whatever. My sister kind of has that attitude. Drives me crazy. Most people probably like her just as much as they ever did whether she's mormon or not. I don't base how much I like somebody because of their religion.
    yeah, i felt that way when I chose to leave the church for awhile...really I chose to feel that way. I didn't like myself and the choices I was making and so I projected it. But, really, if she was able to joke about it, she probably was pretty comfortable with herself and her choices. Me, I was always on guard and on edge about any discussion regarding mormons and church because I was so not ok, with things, ya know?

So funny about the hard drive...I know John prayed about his laptop when it crashed a month or two ago! Well, really he prayed about whether or not to get a new one! Luckily I swooped in and rescued everything for him. Really I'm an answer to his prayers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Ever since my husband has served a mission he really gets irritated about certain things when it comes to the church and how people think we are. We were on the plane once coming from CA back to UT and this lady who was clearly not LDS got into this conversation with a younger guy like maybe 19ish about the LDS church, this kid did a pretty good job about explaining everything to her but some things were not true and it just bugged my husband so I told him to go ahead and butt into their conversation. Which he finally did and he was able to correct what the other kid had said, such a great missionary option and I wonder about that lady and if she looked into the church further because she sure seemed really interested.

Tif I'm so glad that your the answer to his prayer!! New computers arent cheap haha.

My best friend is having that kind of attitude right now. I can't even see her because she's in another state with the Navy! The best I could do is try to verbally shake some sense into her head over the phone.
    I wantes a bebe!Cocoa Cake Muffin Batter HousewifePraying for MANDYM's BFPTTC: 4 months

I'm really sad today, and I can't talk to any of my IRL friends because then I'd be gossipy ...

I only went to RS today (Pen was sick so D and I swapped staying home with her; he went to sacrament meeting.) I think I've mentioned this before, but in our ward we have visiting teaching trios rather than pairs that visit a list of sisters. So our trio just gets together (ideally) once a month. Some trios have a 4th sister who is less active, or totally inactive, who they are supposed to try & contact.

Well I need to backtrack a second. Two weeks ago, one sister in my trio, we'll call her M. emailed me and the other woman, J., to see if Thursday the 20th worked. We both said it did, that morning was best, and I said let me know what time you want me to come over. She never did. Thursday morning I checked my email again - nothing - and I knew she'd been out of state visiting her family the weekend before so I figured she was still gone. I took Truman & Penny to the supermarket and while I was in there, M called (it went to voice mail b/c I couldn't hear the phone over the screams of children). She said, "J is coming over in 20 minutes so I hope you can make it too!" All cheerful. TWENTY minutes notice? I hadn't even gotten everything I needed, then I had to check out, then take stuff home, at least the frozen/cold stuff. There was no way I'd get to her house any sooner than one hour from the time she called. So I just decided not to go, because they'd be done visiting by then right? I was pretty peeved that she expected me to just rush over with 20 minutes' notice. But I know her. She's kind of... different. She never plans anything in advance.

Well today in RS I sat next to J. She was nice enough, we made chit-chat. Then when it was over I turned around and M was sitting behind me, and I smiled at her. She looked away, it was strange. Then I went to get my kids' coats and as I was walking down the hall, M & J were walking in front of me, chatting happily, laughing really loud. I felt like they were trying to look like BFF and make me upset. Maybe I'm imagining that, but it really, really felt like they were purposely (or at least, M. was) being super-friendly to each other because they knew I was right behind them.

I got Truman from nursery and as we were leaving, he saw M. and showed her his drawing. She said something like, "Oh wow Truman!" looking down at him, but she didn't look up at me as I walked past her.

I mean... heck I'm moving in a month so no sense worrying about it right?

I know she's totally immature and she's done this sort of thing before. She is the kind of person who latches on to one friend and totally obsesses over them and spends every spare moment with them, then dumps them for someone else. (I know because I was her obsession a year ago, until someone newer moved to town, then she dumped that one when an old friend of hers moved back to town.)

I just feel like the cool girls don't like me.

Well I think I'm pretty cool and I like you

I'm really sorry that they are acting that way. That is really stupid and immature. I mean they are adults right? Oh and it would drive me NUTS that she called you like 20 mins before and expected you to be there. You cant just drop everything for it, I would not of gone either. You also can not wait around all day for notice of what time this is going to be happening.

Did you tell her you weren't coming, Heather? I mean...geez...that's just ridiculous! If you told her "I'll be right there" and didn't show up I could see her being a little confused on what happened, but still not so PO'd about it! But if you said "I'm grocery shopping, and it really takes me at least an hour to get things all squared away and to get the kids and myself ready to arrive some place. Next time with more notice I can show up" I'd be totally cool with it!

I didn't call her while I was at the store, but I sent her an email later in the day saying where I was and that I hoped they had a good visit. She sent a reply to the effect of "Sorry you couldn't make it, but we didn't even get around to the lesson so maybe we'll get together again for that." Um yeah. With my copious free time right?

Well thanks for being my friend ladies. ;) David tells me to just forget about it. She's pretty immature at times. I can't take it personally.

So what are everyone's Thanksgiving plans???

I'm going to my grandparents house for Thanksgiving and I'm going to eat a lot of turkey and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie with LOTS of home made whipped cream!! I'm soooooo excited, I've been craving this meal for months now!!

Brandi I can not believe you're going to be full term so soon!!! YIKES!

We're going to Evansville, the city we're from (and moving to next month) to have dinner with my family. Then Thurs night we'll go to my dad's. I'm still mad at him about not coming to my 30th birthday party but I figure I better get over it. I can get over it now, or feel guilty after he dies, and it's easier to get over it now.

Friday morning we're going to the CIRCUS!!!!
    http://www.hadishrinecircus.com/

The Circus! Fun!

I'm not looking forward to our weekend. I'm taking Scharae in to her doctor tomorrow at 8am to listen to her breathing-she's basically been nonstop rough breathing/wheezing for the last 6ish weeks even with neb treatments...I'm 1/2way hoping he tells me she has RSV yet again (just got over a light case 2.5ish weeks ago). OK, not really. Not at all. But really I am hoping he tells me that it'd be better for her to not travel or be around lots of people-that she's got something going on beyond just her normal winter breathing. We're supposed to go up to the Olympic Peninsula, where John's from, and hang with his family. Normally I don't mind at all. But this trip I'm really not gelling with. I don't know why. Maybe because until 10 days ago we weren't going-just staying home? Or maybe because next weekend we're going to Bellingham-my hometown-for a totally awesome weekend that would be one day longer if he hadn't decided to change a vacay day for this trip. Either way I'm being a total boob about this trip. Oh, a huge part of it is that his mom just got let out, again, from the state mental hospital which means we have to spend time with her....lovely.

Heather I know I cant believe I'm almost full term either. Its flipping crazy! I'm 30% effaced 0 dialated and the baby is at -1 station. I really want him here before my due date.

OH Tif keep us posted on the appt. RSV is a scary thing. I'm so familiar with the neb treatments.

I'm doing a lot of complaining here lately, eh?
    Well, in keeping with tradition, here's another.
    Our RS enrichment tonight is a progressive dinner. Which, I think, must be about the stupidest idea ever conceived by man. Or woman.
    Since I'm in the midst of packing and preparing to move, I was told I'd be given an "easy assignment." My easy assignment means today I'm making a big pot of soup (someone else's recipe I've never made before), and fudge since the dessert they plan is not nut-safe or gluten-free, then after I pick up Lu from preschool and get the kids back home, I drive to a woman's house and leave the soup, then to the church and direct people into their carpool groups and give them maps, then I go to the first house and help the host serve the food, then I take food with me as I go to the 2nd house to give the food to the host there (so she doesn't miss part of the meal) then I help serve food at the second house, then I come back to the church and help prepare and set out the desserts, then I stay and clean up afterwards, then I have to at some point get my crock pot back from house #2 where I drop it off before I even go to the church in the first place. So minimum, five hours of work for me.

But hey... it's the last time right?

So how is everyone else doing? We seem to have lulled here.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    I'm doing a lot of complaining here lately, eh?
    Well, in keeping with tradition, here's another.
    Our RS enrichment tonight is a progressive dinner. Which, I think, must be about the stupidest idea ever conceived by man. Or woman.
    Since I'm in the midst of packing and preparing to move, I was told I'd be given an "easy assignment." My easy assignment means today I'm making a big pot of soup (someone else's recipe I've never made before), and fudge since the dessert they plan is not nut-safe or gluten-free, then after I pick up Lu from preschool and get the kids back home, I drive to a woman's house and leave the soup, then to the church and direct people into their carpool groups and give them maps, then I go to the first house and help the host serve the food, then I take food with me as I go to the 2nd house to give the food to the host there (so she doesn't miss part of the meal) then I help serve food at the second house, then I come back to the church and help prepare and set out the desserts, then I stay and clean up afterwards, then I have to at some point get my crock pot back from house #2 where I drop it off before I even go to the church in the first place. So minimum, five hours of work for me.

But hey... it's the last time right?

So how is everyone else doing? We seem to have lulled here.
    Ugh, for RS a progressive dinner sounds awful. My little sister did one for a prom date and it was a lot of fun, but that was eight people. i'm awful about that kind of stuff. I wouldn't have gone to participate. Just doesn't sound like fun to me. I like to sit down and eat at one place. Going to a whole bunch of different houses to eat would just annoy me.

Last night we had our ward Christmas party and can I just say the food was NASTY :X. Dh and I were debating whether or not to go in the first place (we don't know anybody. We wouldn't even know if we accidently showed up to a different ward). We decided to go so we could get to know people, plus free food and no dishes. We each took about three bites and didn't eat anything else. Benson wouldn't even eat anything. It was bad. Luckily Benson was getting grumpy so we could leave early without feeling bad.

Heather and Katrina those both sound aweful I'm so sorry. I do not do anything like that with the ward or RS. I know I'm horrible but I've never done those things. I know pretty much everyone in the ward because to be honest I've never lived outside of the town I live in.

Katrina woohooo on having less then 100 days left until your LO arrives! Oh and considering you dont live to far away from me, I'm giving you a heads up if you dont already know this. If you plan on having your baby at LRH they require a deposit. I would contact them before you deliver because they contacted me yesterday and expect me to pay $1350 before my due date. UHHH thats in 20 days, its NOT happening!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Katrina woohooo on having less then 100 days left until your LO arrives! Oh and considering you dont live to far away from me, I'm giving you a heads up if you dont already know this. If you plan on having your baby at LRH they require a deposit. I would contact them before you deliver because they contacted me yesterday and expect me to pay $1350 before my due date. UHHH thats in 20 days, its NOT happening!!
    Really?!? They just told you this? I delivered Benson there and didn't have to do anything like that. I haven't heard of anyone else that has ever had to do that either and I know a lot of ladies that have delivered there, but maybe it is a new policy or something . I will have to make some phone calls tomorrow. I can't believe they are just telling you that now. I would be furious. I can understand at the beginning of your pregnancy, but how can they just throw that on you a couple weeks before your baby is born. Do they really expect people to just have that money? It is Christmas along with a crappy economy. People just don't have that sort of money floating around. Have you talked to your insurance or anything?

Really?!? They just told you this? I delivered Benson there and didn't have to do anything like that. I haven't heard of anyone else that has ever had to do that either and I know a lot of ladies that have delivered there, but maybe it is a new policy or something . I will have to make some phone calls tomorrow. I can't believe they are just telling you that now. I would be furious. I can understand at the beginning of your pregnancy, but how can they just throw that on you a couple weeks before your baby is born. Do they really expect people to just have that money? It is Christmas along with a crappy economy. People just don't have that sort of money floating around. Have you talked to your insurance or anything?
    Yeah they just told me this. I wish I would of known months ago so I could of set up payment arrangements and had it all paid before now. Oh I totally had an emotional break down when I was off the phone with this lady. We do NOT have that kind of money laying around out house. I totally wish we did but we dont. I didnt even get hardly anything I needed for the shower so I had to go out and buy all of that and its not cheap. I wonder if its a new thing, I know one other person who has had to pay first. I havent talked to my insurance but I was thinking about calling them and asking them if they can do something about it. My insurance is really crappy its just major medical so I'm prepared to pay at least $5,000 for this baby but I'm not prepared to pay it upfront. Whatever happened to being billed for it? Not to mention this is a NON-PROFIT hospital. Yeah I doubt that!! I would contact them and make sure that your not left with a huge amount of money owed. I can give you the number if you need it.

I delivered at LRH too (same month as Benson) and didn't have to deal with anything like that. My OB was in the Budge clinic and they told me on my first appointment what I could expect to pay (both OB and hospital fees.) I did have to pay my OB as we went along, but nothing to the hospital until after the baby was born. That's so crazy!! Is there any way you can have your OB's office call and check this out for you?

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Quote Originally Posted by moosh34 View Post
    I delivered at LRH too (same month as Benson) and didn't have to deal with anything like that. My OB was in the Budge clinic and they told me on my first appointment what I could expect to pay (both OB and hospital fees.) I did have to pay my OB as we went along, but nothing to the hospital until after the baby was born. That's so crazy!! Is there any way you can have your OB's office call and check this out for you?
    I think when I go in there on wednesday I'm going to talk to them. I have to pay my OB's office which I knew I had to do from the very begining. Which I've done, but I guess the hospital thing is new or something. I have no idea, I just know that I'm not happy with them especially for letting me know now. In the begining I had a different insurance in july we switched and the hospital knew this had all of my information. I worked in a doctors office and I know that we required some payment upfront for surgeries but I know the hospitals did not so I do not understand why they do for births.

Did anyone else see Elder Wirthlin's funeral services today?

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.

I didn't see it - it was online I think, but when I remembered, it was already over. Did you watch?

That's kind of crazy about pre-paying a hospital. Wow. They must be hard up! I've had to pre-pay a doctor before when it wasn't clear what my insurance would cover. But with the hospital, they just sent me a huge bill a few weeks after the baby was born, and we called and set up a payment plan. I think for Truman we had to pay close to $2,000 but we broke it up into 4 or 5 monthly plans. This particular hospital would let you spread it out up to six months but if you spread it more than that, they charged a finance fee. It was tough - who has an extra $500 a month? - but we managed and it felt good to have it paid off on our own. Man. Having babies is pricey business!

Our progressive dinner actually went o.k. I know... I was SO pessimistic about it wasn't I??? What we did was, there were six groups and six houses. But rather than visit 6 houses, each group visited 2. For example I was group leader of group #1. So we went to house #1. Then we went to house #4, and group #4 had eaten there and came to group #1. It was kind of confusing, but basically two groups swapped houses. Then we all met up back at the church for dessert. It worked out much better than I'd thought it would, and it was nice to chat with a few sisters I'd never have a reason to chat with otherwise. Met an amazing woman who is a theater professor and she travels to NYC to buy fabric for their productions. It was really fascinating!

[QUOTE=LuTruPeMo;1055354777]That's kind of crazy about pre-paying a hospital. Wow. They must be hard up! I've had to pre-pay a doctor before when it wasn't clear what my insurance would cover. But with the hospital, they just sent me a huge bill a few weeks after the baby was born, and we called and set up a payment plan. I think for Truman we had to pay close to $2,000 but we broke it up into 4 or 5 monthly plans. This particular hospital would let you spread it out up to six months but if you spread it more than that, they charged a finance fee. It was tough - who has an extra $500 a month? - but we managed and it felt good to have it paid off on our own. Man. Having babies is pricey business!QUOTE]

We are going to end up owing close to $5,000. My ded. is $4,000. Its just major medical insurance. When I quit my job in June I lost my wonderful insurance but we could not afford to cobra it, it was like $400 a month for just me not DH. We pay like $200 a month now for me and DH. I'm in the process of working with the hospital right now to hopefully get it so its not as expensive, or to at least let me pay after he's here and they bill me.

I did not watch the funeral. I could of, I was home all day.

Anyone watch the Christmas Devotional last night? We almost forgot about it, but turned it on about 15 minutes into it. It was really good. It really made me think of how I need to focus more on Christ during this time of year. I know I get caught up in everything else.

Since then I've been trying to come up with ways to incorporate more Christ centered traditions into Christmas Eve/Day. We role play the Nativity Christmas Eve, but that is about it. I think my attitude has been too much 'get through the nativity really quick so we can get to the presents'. I don't want it to be that way this year though. I want it to be more meaningful. Any ideas?

We didn't see the broadcast because it didn't start til 8p.m. here, which is the kids' bedtime.

We have a book called 'The First Christmas" I got at B&N last year. It is really good and we decided we'll read that before bed Christmas Eve every year. We also let the kids play with the nativity figures that evening (and Christmas morning too). I know some families don't put Jesus into the nativity set until Christmas eve or Christmas morning. That might be another way to keep the emphasis on his birth.

We have a Jesus Stocking. In it we put gifts for Jesus every year. My grandma started this when I was young-around 9. We do it on Christmas Eve. We all write down our "gift" to Jesus for the upcoming year. Whether it's to be better at saying our prayers, or whatever. Our family actually makes a bigger deal out of Chrimstas Eve. We have our big dinner on that evening. My dad reads the Christmas story out of the NT-I'm not sure how, but he somehow collides all the different versions from the Gospels-and then out of the BOM. Then he talks about it in a way the girls can understand it. Then we sing all the hymns around the piano. And we do the Jesus Stocking.

Christmas Day then is pretty relaxed and is more the "santa" day, although John and I are toying with not even playing up santa. The girls know who is as far as icon-wise. They recognise a picture of him but have no clue what he "means". They're not getting stockings this year. Sure, I've got "stocking stuffers" But I've got something else to put them in. We might just not really do santa...still young enough to play around and decide I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tif View Post
    We have a Jesus Stocking. In it we put gifts for Jesus every year. My grandma started this when I was young-around 9. We do it on Christmas Eve. We all write down our "gift" to Jesus for the upcoming year. Whether it's to be better at saying our prayers, or whatever. Our family actually makes a bigger deal out of Chrimstas Eve. We have our big dinner on that evening. My dad reads the Christmas story out of the NT-I'm not sure how, but he somehow collides all the different versions from the Gospels-and then out of the BOM. Then he talks about it in a way the girls can understand it. Then we sing all the hymns around the piano. And we do the Jesus Stocking.
    This is pretty much exactly what I did growing up. Since we still get together with family it will continue at least for now.

I'm trying to plan so that Chirstmas season will include more service like making things for a festival that benefits a charity (one in dh's hometown has a silent auction for gingerbread houses...so we get to have fun making it and then donate it for service!) We've also been to several free activities like a Trees of Diversity exhibit and a HUGE creche exhibit. I also want to focus FHE in December on the birth of Christ.

We've pretty much decided not to do Santa other than explaining the legends and discussing how believing in Christ prompts us to help those in need like St. Nicholas did. I'm also pretty sure we are going to set some limits so that we don't go overboard (and the kids don't expect it) on presents.

My husband and I haven't even thought about Christmas traditions. It'll be our first Christmas married, and we're just going to my parents. These are really good ideas for traditions!
    I wantes a bebe!Cocoa Cake Muffin Batter HousewifePraying for MANDYM's BFPTTC: 4 months

Well ladies, I think I opened up a can of worms....LOL

The other night we had our settlement with our Bishop and I brought up the fact that this will be my 5th year as stake camp director and I asked him if he could remember me next summer because I will probably be ready for a ward calling... that I felt 5 years was plenty to serve as SCD. Anyway, he smiled and said that it wasn't up to him, he has asked for me before and they told him no, I had to tell the stake president I was done...he said being burnt out and wanting something different is not like asking to be released because you don't want a calling. He thought 5 years was too long in any calling.

So I told the bishop that I would talk to the stake pres. the next time I see him, but then the bishop said that maybe now would be a great time to release me, why wait until summer, you know release me before we get planning too much. So he said he was going to call the stake president that night and see what he says. YIKES!!! That is really not what I was trying to accomplish by telling him to remember me next summer, I didn't mean I want to be released now. But the more I thought about it, the more I didn't mind...so I told him as long as the calling wasn't in primary I am up for just about anything...so I might not be SCD anymore, we will find out if our stake president will let me go.