Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 32 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

We're actually doing pretty good with the YW part. Better than my mom's ward. Her YW president "hates RS" and is pretty :annoyed: on the Sunday a month that they come in for opening and is always all "Oh, they don't want to stay for the lesson"...so they don't. Because she doesn't want to Our ward is pretty good with that. our YW president is pretty enthusiastic with it. Our senior year laurels are all paired up and are VTers and are visit taught. It's working really well. We have the laurel class conduct our opening exercises every other month on the week they're in there. The month they don't conduct, either the YW pres or the laurel advisor teaches our lesson. I pushed for that because I think it's good both for the girls and for the RS ladies. One piece of feedback that I've gotten from the laurels is that they love knowing what the lesson is going to be ahead of time-knowing what conference talk to have read so they can be prepared to have some thoughts/input. They don't get that experience in YW's, ya know?

We've also had a pretty good turn out of laurels to our enrichment activies. This year. last year, not so much. But now that the sour pusses that were seniors graduated and are gone and not dragging the other sweethearts down, they're coming I'm almost wishing I hadn't asked to be released from my YW calling now...now that it's been a year out from Taela's death I feel like I'm coming out of my hibernation...and maybe I'm almost ready to have been back there, ya know? But instead I'm in RS where there's me and a 30yo...and then a generation gap where the next lady (and I'm not exaggerating) is literally 45...the rest are all in Primary and YW and they do NOT come to any of the Enrichment activities

I think my answer to my goal problem will be to take every 1st sunday that I teach to incorporate goals and goal setting into my lesson. Our theme next year is Sherri Dew's Awake Arise and...dang...I forgot the last part. Come Forth, maybe? I'm sure I can work goal setting into my lessons every quarter when I make it into the teaching rotation...and that's just going to have to be fine with my president...unless SHE wants to come up with something I guess.
    Last edited by DucksLikeRain; 11-07-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Are they talking about the pursuit of excellence program? From the 70's? We still do it, but not really the right way. In my last ward they tried to do it but it kind of fizzled out. There's a booklet or something you can get - I couldn't find it at lds.org but my former RS president had it so it DOES exist in the annals of churchdom. There are various aspects like 'intellectual development' and then you set goals like reading a # of books or taking a class or something like that. I think it's sort of a continuation of the YW personal progress? IDK for sure.

Tif it sounds like your ward is doing great for the YW transitioning. I know that in our ward every 4th sunday the entire YW meet in the RS room for opening exercises. The YW are in charge of everything. Right around graduation they also have a little party for the ones who will be going into RS, where gifts are given to welcome them with cute quotes. Its a thing for the girls and moms to attend. This last one was held at the RS presidents house.
    I am probably the youngest one who will go to RS right now because all the others have callings. Now that I've asked to be released I cant even go to church because of bedrest. There are HUGE age gaps in my ward too. I normally sit on the back row with the older women though, probably because they are funny and make me laugh and most of them taught me when I was in primary. I think most of them are in their 70's lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tif View Post
    Welcome! Is it safe to assume your name is Rhia? Jump on in on our thread here!

So I need some input. I'm the Education Counselor. My RS Pres is pushing me to come up with a "goal program" to launch at our VT Conf in Feb. I'm not feeling it, gals. I've talked with my mom and she hasn't heard hide nor hair of the goal program since it was on it's way out as she was on her way in 30 years ago! I know it's still supposedly "on the books" so to speak..but do any of you have any experience with any RS goal programs? I'm just not feeling it and I'm not feeling like my RS president is getting that. I'm feeling like anything beyond the goals that my family has already set with our Preach My Gospel stuff-missionary work, etc-is about as far as I can go. But I'm feeling pretty thin right now. Just that time for me. Maybe if I can just make it through Monday. I don't know. I just had our Stk Leadership meeting tonight. In the little break off with all the Education Counselors from the stk I brought it up. Not one ward is doing anything. And our RS president is making me feel like it's something the Stk RS presidency is pushing...the stk counselor that was in there with us was all "oh yeah, it's one of those old programs that we like to make sure you guys are aware is still out there to be utilized, but right now our focus is on getting the YW into RS, and making that transition as smooth as possible with the laurels, etc"...

I feel like such a nerd but I actually started crying over not feeling this program and not feeling like I can tell the president that when I was talking with the Enrichment counselor about it this evening. She told me to just tell her! But I the the problem is that while I'm 27, I swear I feel 22, 23, somewhere like that. That was my issue in the YW presidency, too. I felt more of a peer than a role model to the girls. I just feel...inadequate and inferior. Doesn't help that I'm literally the youngest person in our RS. Our president is in her late 50's and the other counselor and secretary are in their late 40's. I just feel...dumb saying ANYTYHING!
    Heh, my name is actually Crystal. I got that username from a book and have been using it for years... ;)
    I wantes a bebe!Cocoa Cake Muffin Batter HousewifePraying for MANDYM's BFPTTC: 4 months

My family's ward, where I was during the Laurel years, also has the Laurels come in to RS for one Sunday a month. They don't like it much. Heh, I don't blame them. Some of the older women are rather opinionated and not always in the right direction, if you know what I mean. On top of that, all they talk about is food storage (very little exageration here). It really helped me to go to a college ward for a few years, because then I saw that RS could be geared toward younger women.
    I wantes a bebe!Cocoa Cake Muffin Batter HousewifePraying for MANDYM's BFPTTC: 4 months

Quote Originally Posted by rhiaofthewoods View Post
    My family's ward, where I was during the Laurel years, also has the Laurels come in to RS for one Sunday a month. They don't like it much. Heh, I don't blame them. Some of the older women are rather opinionated and not always in the right direction, if you know what I mean. On top of that, all they talk about is food storage (very little exageration here). It really helped me to go to a college ward for a few years, because then I saw that RS could be geared toward younger women.
    I totally hated the singles wards. I hated being hit on. I was sooo thankful when they put me in nursery shortly after I graduated! I LOVED that calling!!!

Well Brandi can you blame them? You're such a hottie.

In my old ward, the YW came in at the beginning of RS every week. They had their announcements in there (the Laurels president usually did it) and every other week one of the YW would conduct the opening hymn. It was really nice, I thought. Then after that they'd go to their classes. It also helped me b/c I was in the YW presidency at the time, and I'm a convert, so I did NOT know all the words to the YW motto they recite, and being in a bigger group meant the gaps in what I knew weren't so obvious!

Have you all heard about the protests at the L.A. temple? I am so sad over it. I have read some news reports and watched some videos online. People are so venomous! My husband said he wonders if this is how it started when they burned the Nauvoo temple.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Well Brandi can you blame them? You're such a hottie.

In my old ward, the YW came in at the beginning of RS every week. They had their announcements in there (the Laurels president usually did it) and every other week one of the YW would conduct the opening hymn. It was really nice, I thought. Then after that they'd go to their classes. It also helped me b/c I was in the YW presidency at the time, and I'm a convert, so I did NOT know all the words to the YW motto they recite, and being in a bigger group meant the gaps in what I knew weren't so obvious!

Have you all heard about the protests at the L.A. temple? I am so sad over it. I have read some news reports and watched some videos online. People are so venomous! My husband said he wonders if this is how it started when they burned the Nauvoo temple.
    Oh yeah I'm such a hottie haha.

I have heard about the protests. I wonder if there are any going on where my inlaws live. We talked to my MIL the other day and she hadnt mentioned it but of course I guess that was election day when we called her to see how prop 8 was going. Your husband has a good thought, now I wonder if thats how it happened as well. I think its just so sad, it's not like it was just LDS people who voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Oh yeah I'm such a hottie haha.

I have heard about the protests. I wonder if there are any going on where my inlaws live. We talked to my MIL the other day and she hadnt mentioned it but of course I guess that was election day when we called her to see how prop 8 was going. Your husband has a good thought, now I wonder if thats how it happened as well. I think its just so sad, it's not like it was just LDS people who voted for it.
    I've heard about the protests too. That was my temple for most of my YW years.
    More than LDS people did vote for it, but a lot of people see the Church as the "face" of the movement to protect marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by rhiaofthewoods View Post
    I've heard about the protests too. That was my temple for most of my YW years.
    More than LDS people did vote for it, but a lot of people see the Church as the "face" of the movement to protect marriage.
    I know. I think its sad that people are targeting us though. I know that the church had a HUGE impact on this. I know that my MIL made phone calls to remind people to vote in CA and I know that my friend held signs for it.

My brother-in-law, who lives in San Diego, sent us pictures from his friend's house. This family put a banner on their house saying "yes on 8" because yard signs kept getting stolen. Then some "no on 8" people parked in front of their house & painted their vehicle with "BIGOTS LIVE HERE" and an arrow pointing at their house. BIL's friend tried to go out and talk with them, but it was apparent they did not want to talk. They just yelled nasty things and said they were teaching their children to hate and be bigots. Which we all know isn't true at all, but what are kids supposed to think when they see this kind of behavior?

I really am learning a lot about the patience of the early saints. Because I want to go out there and bash their heads in. And that's not Christ-like at all!

My brother-in-law, who lives in San Diego, sent us pictures from his friend's house. This family put a banner on their house saying "yes on 8" because yard signs kept getting stolen. Then some "no on 8" people parked in front of their house & painted their vehicle with "BIGOTS LIVE HERE" and an arrow pointing at their house. BIL's friend tried to go out and talk with them, but it was apparent they did not want to talk. They just yelled nasty things and said they were teaching their children to hate and be bigots. Which we all know isn't true at all, but what are kids supposed to think when they see this kind of behavior?

I really am learning a lot about the patience of the early saints. Because I want to go out there and bash their heads in. And that's not Christ-like at all!
    Oh man that is horrible. I can not believe that people would be so low. Wait yes I can, they think that they can have freedom of speech but we cant. I really think thats horrible.

So I had the sister missionaries over last night while DH was at work.....it was sooo nice to get to talk to them. They are both really cool. So they are coming back on Thursday night for dinner and to show a video with the whole Family! Yep DH said they could come while he was home ....and if it goes well we are thinking of making it a weekly thing .

Plus they are going to introduce me to another sister from the ward who lives right down the road from me and is a SAHM and has been really trying to find local moms to play with (just as I have).

Today is DH's morning home so we are not going to church but John and I will be going back next week and I am going to go to ALL 3 hours!
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Awesome about the Sisters, Al! That's great that he's willing to have them over while he's around, too! Ya know, some of the little things about your husband...I think he's not too far off. Him reading the scriptures, that sort of thing. Sometimes it's easier to do the things that we can do in the privacy of our own homes and neglect the things that take the outside effort. And at certain times in our life, THAT'S OK!

So...I've been doing a lot of thinking on my personal block on this whole Pursuit of Excellence thing. I finally broke down and googled it. I came up with two different programs online that I think I'm going to present to my presidency and see if we can sort of adapt them to the ward-they know the sisters better than me. That way I won't feel like I'm not coming up with something because I don't want to do it, ya know?

Well...7am...time to wake John up so we can be showered before the girls are up and needing to be off to church. I hate sundays. Isn't that horrible? I have such a love/hate relationship with them. I never did before. Honestly, I've had a great week. Pretty non emotional. Pretty much surprised me considering tomorrow's one year since Taela died. I expected to be a freaking basket case. And I've been fine-but I know as soon as we near the churhc building. Heck as soon as we get close to getting in the car to go to it, I'll be a moody emotional case. It just brings out the worse in me. It was so much easier during our 6 month nearly-inactive stint this past year when we mostly weren't going...much easier to not feel when we weren't being confronted by Gospel truths which, while comforting, cause you to have to examine exactly why they even apply to you to BE comforting. Ok, sorry...that was my little rant for the morning!

Tif...While I don't totally know how you feel I know what you mean.

So I wasn't going to post this because I am very unsure about this, but I stink at keeping secrets

So as I posted before we are REALLY ttcing. Well over the last few days I've been having these feelings that I'm pregnant. Nothing major just the way I feel when I move (hard to explain)....I would think I was just overthinking things but I remember feeling this way in May when I ended up being preggo. So DH left for work a few hours ago and I kept getting this thought, take a test, take a test. My period isn't due for at least a week (I think haha). But I figured I have plenty of tests so what's one....well there is a faint line ...I mean you can't get a positive on a regular test with not fist morning urine a week early can you!?! I'm trying to not get my hopes up and just wait to test again in a few days but I just still really feel that it's right.
    Please let it be right HAHA. At the same time I won't be upset if it's not, but I just knew it was going to be negative since it's so early so I'm in shock. I'm going to show it to DH tonight to see what he thinks. He's going to be ticked that I took a test without him, so I've been debating keeping my mouth shut but it's hard not to tell him.

Okay sorry for the ramble I just had to tell Someone!

Congrats... maybe?

FWIW I've heard if you can hold your pee for 4 hours then your urine is as concentrated as FMU. So try to lay off liquids and hold it in and retest and report!

So I was going to wait until tomorrow to test again but Heather's post pushed me over the edge

This time I used one of my digitals so there would be no question on the results.....I'm Pregnant Hopefully it will stick

:celebrate:

That's so great, Al! Have you told DH yet? I'll be praying for a sticky one for you this time!

Yay for your !

Congrats!!!

Evan is still at work...he'll be home in about an hour. I'm trying to decide if I can wait to tell him until after John goes to bed, I doubt I'll make it that long

I still can't believe I got a positive this early. I think I'm only 2 weeks 6 days. Anyone else gotten a positive that early?

I'm def. keeping my mouth shut with my family though. If I have another miscarriage I don't want them to know about it. So I think I'll wait to tell them until after I go to the dr.

Oh! Congrats, Allison! I hope it sticks, and good luck telling your DH!
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

Al that is awesome!!!! CONGRATS!! I'm so happy for you, I'll be praying that it sticks!!

So Evan was totally ticked at me .....we've always had a rule that I wouldn't test without him, I just couldn't help myself. He said he deserves to be there for that kind of thing .
    He's happy of course that it was positive but he is being cautious just in case.

Yeah! What wonderful news! Congrats!

You mean 2 weeks 6 days as in you conceived 6 days ago? Since they always tack on 2 extra weeks from your last period. Or do you mean 4 weeks 6 days. Wait, you must mean six days, because of course it'd be positive at 4 weeks 6 days.

So you're like six days pregnant and it's positive already? I wonder if it might be multiples.

You mean 2 weeks 6 days as in you conceived 6 days ago? Since they always tack on 2 extra weeks from your last period. Or do you mean 4 weeks 6 days. Wait, you must mean six days, because of course it'd be positive at 4 weeks 6 days.

So you're like six days pregnant and it's positive already? I wonder if it might be multiples.
    I know that's why I'm shocked
    I have long cycles so I think I conceived about 9 or 11 days ago....but yep I meant 2 weeks 6 days (well 7 as of today )
    I was a dork and took another test today and it was still positive, something tells me I'm going to be taking a lot of test over the next few weeks HA

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

This is going to sound really dumb...but I feel like I just went on a first date on Saturday

I have a coworker who's wife I've known very casually for a year and a half. My parents have known their family for 3 years-kids' birthday parties, etc. (I work for my dad). This couple is my age, maybe a year or so older. Their two boys are 3 and 5. So they're definitely more my peers than my parent's but when my dad moved down here and opened the store for this company he and mom started inviting Tony and Shannon out to their place for things like apple cider pressing, all our family traditions-since all us kids weren't living here.

Ok, that was the background. Since I started working here Shannon has come in to see her husband, and one time she might say hi, and then the next 3 times it'd be like we didn't know each other. Last week we had a Customer Appreciation dinner that I spent a lot of time organizing and catering, etc. I was just exhausted during it. It sort of came at a hard time of year and I guess Shannon remembered that. She really helped me out a lot during it-without me asking her to. She comes from a farmer family so while her husband's an employee of ours, she was actually there as a Customer-a guest. Afterwards she asked for my email and very timidly asked if I would ever want to get together to do something. We exchanged emails, I told her I'd love to do something sometime, and figured I'd never hear from her-that it was sort of a formality. So the next day she emailed wanting to know if I wanted to meet her at a craft store to check out a sale on Saturday! I took Scharae, she brought her 5yo, and we did some looking and took the kids to McD's afterwards. It was a lot of fun to just chat and get to know her.

She's not a member, but I thought her and Tony were quite active in some other church. She just has "that feel" about her. In talking with my mom afterwards about it, mom told me that they don't ever go to church except Easter/Christmas. But she's gotten the feeling that Shannon is quite curious/open. She loves her kids sooo much and would just be tickled by something like a Primary program. Ours is this sunday...and I don't have the nerve to invite her. BUT

And here is the point of my big long "I feel like I went on a first date" post.

On Saturday she kept saying "I wish I knew how to sew" or "I just need to learn how to sew" and other stuff to that effect. Well, guess who knows how to sew. And guess what our Enrichment activity is next Thursday? We're making those little Eye-Spy bags-the bean bags that have stuff in them...like this:

So I got my nerve up today and when I was responding to her email that she wrote me yesterday (we're hitting a HUGE sale on Saturday at another craft store-this time with our moms...too bad my mom can't STAND her mom...hehe) I sent her a picture of these and told her we were making them, how simple they are and invited her, totally expecting to be shot down. I've literally never invited anyone to a church thing since high school.

Well, she didn't shoot me down She's got to check with her husband to be sure he'll be home from work in time to be with the kids, but she said she'll come and at least watch me sew one! I signed up for two-I already have one at home and only really need one more-so really there will be one for her to make, and they're so easy I'm sure she can learn how. But even if she just watches...that's good, right?

So yeah...I feel like Saturday was our first date. And I feel like this was possibly my first missionary breakthrough ever. Like ever. And this is big for me. Really big. Not because I don't know anyone else that's not a member. But because I have a father that's over pushy (although he's someone that can "get away with it" usually) with the church and inviting and I think I've gone to the other extreme because of it. Totally outside my comfort zone. I think the email approach made it way easier...