Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 27 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Thanks ladies. I sent an email to the RS president and she's all over it. She's so much more understanding and willing to ACT. Our bishop is really... well, s-l-o-w. I know we shouldn't speak evil of our leaders, and I'm not as far as his worthiness to be our bishop and his leadership. It's just his personality to be this way. He's a really old hippie and he just takes forever to act on anything. My husband and the other members of the EQ presidency have had frustrations with him over that attitude as well. Ack.

Well I HAVE TO go tomorrow since D and I are subbing in nursery. Then next Sunday we'll be out of town but we'll be going to our old-soon-to-be-new ward there. I'm going to bring snacks for nursery down there because a friend told me they've started serving pb & crackers every week for snack! (she told me because she knows I'm allergic and was warning me) Man. What is it with people out to get me with peanuts?

I probably couldn't go inactive if I tried. Really. What would I do with myself?

When I was in nursery I dont think that I ever gave the kids anything with peanuts in them. But I would expect their parents to let me know if they had any food allergies. I'm glad that your RS president is getting on top of things, sounds like she's excellent!

Okay I just seen Heathers post and now its gone, where in the heck did it go?

Glad to see the RS pres is willing to help act on it!!

So I'm trying to work myself up. DH told me last night that he is working at 7 now and on Sunday and John is feeling soo much better which means we can go to all 3 hours of church. I'm really nervous to go though. I'm actually looking forward to RS but I really hate SS . I get really nervous in groups where I feel I'm going to be asked a question or to read a scripture. I know it's silly but I am SUPER self conscious.

So think positive thoughts for me to just get out the door and go for it
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Get out the door. Go for it. Seriously. That's GREAT! I usually hate SS too but most of the time I get SOMETHING out of it. A lot depends on the teacher though. In our ward we have 3 who rotate and 2 of them are kind of wacked out. IMHO of course.

Brandi did my post disappear???
    BTW how are you feeling? M/S any better?

Your post did disappear but its back now. How weird is that?

My morning sickness is still here. It totally sucks, I have no energy to do anything. When I do have energy I get really dizzy and light headed really fast. I sure hope that a 2nd pregnancy isnt this bad or I'm not sure I can do it again lol.

So I'm at home ....I know you guys are going to think that I'm full of excuses but

I had a horrible night with John he was up and down all night and then woke up super early so I didn't even get to take a shower.
    Plus we are having really yucky weather.

I feel so guilty but I just can't get motivated when I'm so tired.
    I suck and sound like a broken record.

I'm so happy that next Sunday we will be in FL and I will have my in laws to help so I can get ready and their help during church. I want to move to FL so bad right now I can't stand it.

Well I DID go. And I wasn't needed in nursery - only David (ha!) - and they're letting Pen stay in there even though technically she's not 18M for a few more weeks. So I was on my own in Sunday school. It was a weird feeling.

Oh but back to the whole peanut incident. Last night we made brownies (from scratch, peanut free, but they were Deceptively Delicious so they had spinach & carrot in them) and took some over to the family who brought the PB sandwich last week and started this whole issue. Mainly as an excuse to talk to them. DH asked all nonchalantly if they'd brought a pb sandwich last week and the guy was like, "Hmmm.. oh yeah., we usually do." So we told him about what happened with a piece falling on the floor and my throat swelling up and he goes, "Really? Hmph. Well I guess we'll be more careful with the peanut butter sandwiches then." He didn't say "Well we'll bring something ELSE then." Sheesh! What does it take to get through to some people?!?! After we got home, David said, their egos are just so BIG they can't fathom they could ever be wrong on something (this same couple babysat for us a few weeks ago and while we were out, the woman totally reorganized my prescription medicines and put all my cleaning supplies in a different place!).

In any case, during RS announcements, they DID say "we had a scary incident last week" and then went on to say that if you do bring peanut butter or peanuts into the building be VERY careful with it and make sure you don't drop anything and clean up really well. I didn't know they'd announce it but I was happy. They said they'll also announce it in all the auxiliaries and it'll be in the RS weekly email tomorrow night and the monthly newsletter.

So overall I feel better - not GREAT - but better, about the whole situation. I still think they could have done more of course but if the other peanut allergy families aren't going to advocate for their kids, I think I've done as much as I can on my own.

Now I just need to forgive this family down the street who reorganizes my medicines (still haven't found my princess gummy vitamins!) and poisons me with pb at church!!!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Now I just need to forgive this family down the street who reorganizes my medicines (still haven't found my princess gummy vitamins!) and poisons me with pb at church!!!
    that totally cracked me up!

Glad that the RS at least seems to be on top of it. And kudos for taking the passively agressive route of taking the brownies over there, even if they didn't really own up to their mistake.

We didn't go to church today. We took an entire Sunday break. In our defense we're out on the Olympic Peninsula visiting John's family and the only members in his family are out of town...but he ran into the bishop and his wife last night at Safeway and they wanted to know if they'd see us today at church (John grew up here)...not even sure what he told them. It's been a nice relaxing day. Well, other than when we went to McD ( ) and John got a nice dose of reality as far as how deep-seated some of Scharae's "issues" have gotten to be. Gals, I'm really struggling with her. She cannot bear to be around ANY child under the age of like 6. Once they're older she's queen of getting them to do anything for her (help her at the park, etc). But younger than that all a kid has to do is look at her and she's on the floor screaming and kicking because of it. I'm not exaggerating. At nursery she litterally barricades herself into a corner-pulls the rocking chair and the play kitchens over so she can play with the bead maze back there. I've convinced them not to push it during lesson/snack time. They close off the doors but leave them open just enough that when she's ready she can slip into the empty seat between keira and the wall. That's the only way she can function in nursery. At a park or anywhere else she'll want to play, but then when she gets up the courage to get off a bench and go over to play as soon as there's another child within 10 feet of her she can't deal. She'll even shove and push a kid that wasn't even thinking of touching her if she thinks they're in her "space". It's really embarassing because up until that moment she appears absolutely fine and normal. I wish kids with autism came with some sort of obvious physical marker-like Downs' does-so I didn't feel like the mom that caters to her over-demanding child's whims! It's really wearing on me. And today was the first time that John's really witnessed it. It's gotten exponentially worse in the last 2 weeks. And extended from kids to bugs to animals now. She screams in terror about "no cat eat Scharae" if she so much as sees a kitten or a puppy. Just cannot move on. She's so far overshadowing Keira's behavioural issues right now that I'm to a point of feeling like Keira's got real hopes of "therapying" out of her autism! Anyhow, yeah. Guess that's what we get for going to McD's, especially on a Sunday!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

THat's what you get! Ok totally kidding. Man that has got to be TOUGH. Pen doesn't have the same issues but she's a TOTAL bully and even that is embarassing to me. I feel like I'm constantly apologizing to other kids and their moms when Penny hits them for no apparent reason or pushes them down and steals their toys. I feel like they must think I'm rough with her at home - which of course NO ONE is like that. She's just a bully! I hope things can improve for Scharae, eventually. I mean, she's at an age right now, even without ASD, where she'd be doing some of these things, probably just to a lesser degree. Hang in there Tif.

So just a quick update on the peanut thing... where the bishop wasn't going to do ANYTHING, the RS president took it upon herself to include this in our weekly RS email, and she said they'll put it in the paper monthly newsletter they put out as well, to be sure everyone sees it:

• [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Peanut Allergy Alert!!![/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] We understand how important it is for parents to bring snacks to the church building for their young ones. However, we need to be careful to avoid bringing anything with peanuts. We have several ward members (including toddlers) with peanut allergies. If peanuts get dropped on the floor anywhere in the church building and a toddler picks them up, we could have some severe consequences. Thank you![/FONT]

Tif Hugs on your issues with Scharae. Of course I have no experience with Autism so I have no words of advice Just Hugs!!
    Heather, Yay! on the email from RS pres.

So I really need to get moving and finish packing a load up the car, but I really need a little break so here I am surfing APA

So, my SIL told me yesterday she is starting back to work full time next week. She has been working from home doing some etsy type stuff (but really pricey) for a few years, and when she had 1 child she worked part time outside the home. They have 3 kids now, they're like 3, 7, and 10 I think. Anyway, this job will be 45-50 hours a week at least. They've hired a full time nanny for their kids; the youngest will go to preschool 2 days a week and the nanny will be with her the rest of the time and with the other two before/after school. My BIL makes a TON of money. Like literally 2,000 pounds maybe. Seriously though... they are super wealthy. So it's not at all a need for income. Her reasons for working are solely to satisfy some need in herself.

I'm just having a hard time with it. DH and I are kind of worried about them. I mean, I think of any religion we'd be worried - the last time we saw them (and we don't see them frequently at all) they both seemed super stressed out and she especially seemed unhappy. But she's also training for this insane women's fitness competition and eats nothing but steak and broccoli and protein shakes and spends 2 hours a day at the gym with her personal trainer. I tell ya, I can so NOT understand her life at all.

But would you be worried if this were someone in your family? We all know what the prophets and apostles have said about women's influence in the home, I mean we all KNOW it. We all know the most important use of our time and resources is in teaching our children. Which I know doesn't mean all women need to stay home. Lots of women work out of necessity. I know some who work part time for their own mental benefit - like a few evenings or Saturdays - it gives them a break from their kids and a little extra $ for fun stuff. That, I think I can understand pretty well. I just don't understand this. I'm worried about them, but DH doesn't want to talk to his brother about it. IDK why. I guess we don't want them to think we're judging them. It just seems like something is missing in their lives, even though on the surface they have everything.

Hmm.

I'm just rambling here!

...does she live in Bountiful Utah? Seriously, sounds like the family my best friend nannied for until about 3 months ago. She nannied for about 6 years for them. He is Elder Ballard's grandson and is a very highpower lawyer. She doesn't do anything. I think she taught like 10 1/2 hour piano lessons a week. But other than that Em took care of their 8 kids-soccer, karate, music lessons, school assemblies, etc-and all the dinners. The wife would either shut herself in her bedroom for the day or else be out shopping and working out. Didn't even come to the school awards assemblies.

Some days I WISH I could live that life. But then I get a little-person hug and my day looks up!

They just built a humongous home in North SL. Like... yeah, BIG. One of those theater rooms with leather upholstered reclining seats with cup holders. I think the house itself even has a name. Like Xanadu.

I don't know... I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. My in-laws (DH's parents) went to stay with their kids for a few days while they went to Toronto. They said it was for their anniversary, but MIL told us it was actually something to do with the wife wanting to take part in a Guiness world record spinning class. They (the ILs) also hinted that there are problems in their marriage. They said something like, "You know, even though they have lots of money, they still have problems...." But that's all they said.

So where was Al going? Away for vacation? why can't I keep up???

Does anyone have Labor Day weekend plans? We're going to stay in a cabin tomorrow night. Then Sat night we're going on a date while my mom keeps the kids and Sunday morning we're going to our old ward that we love. I'm looking forward to it. We'll have my family over to the cabin tomorrow night for dessert. Except my dad who is choosing not to come, which breaks my heart a little but I'm trying not to dwell on that.

I think that Al is moving...or maybe I made that part up...

N SL...that's close enough to Bountiful! I almost hit it on the head! I don't even know what to say to that whole situation. I mean, it's probably not any of your business, and yet they're family....

So sorry your dad is still being a nerd. You'll have fun anyhow, though, with everyone else! I want to see pictures!

We were gone all weekend to the olympic peninsula so we're not really going anywhere this long weekend. John has M/T off so it'll be nice for him to spend time with the girls doing daddy/daughter stuff (like marbles and other small-pieced activities that I hate cleaning up!). John and I have tickets to Phantom of the Opera for Saturday night. I'm stoked. I've never been to a broadway show! My brother and his wife are coming with us, so it'll be fun to go to dinner together and all that. Mom and Dad are watching the girls overnight and either bringing them to their ward or else accompanying them to our ward. John and I are speaking so...give me lots of good thoughts for that one!

Tiff you'll do great!!

We have no plans for Labor day, all of my family is going camping and I do not want to go. So we plan on maybe working on the nursery maybe doing nothing at all and sitting on our butts infront of the TV lol.

I'm on vaca, we're in FL
    Right now we are at the IL's house. DH and his dad just went to the shooting range so John and I are just lounging around.
    We are staying through the weekend and having a small b-day party tomorrow for John.
    For Labor day we are going to my parents house (they are 30 min away)and my sister and her little girl are coming over for dinner.
    Then after that we are going to the beach for 3 Nights I am soooo excited about that part.

Sorry didn't mean to go on and on

aw, fun! Guess I made the moving part up! I'm always good at filling in the details for things like that...accurate or not!

We can always count on Tif for an amusing story which may or may not be true.

Tif what is your topic of your talk?

Whenever DH or I have to give a talk, we always give each other a word that we HAVE TO incorporate into the talk. He started this on his mission and so we just do it now. You have to be kind of creative, but at least it makes it interesting. One time he gave me the word 'tailpipe.' I think I used some kind of analogy that just didn't really make sense.

Maybe we should all think of a word Tif has to use in her talk, and when she says it, she'll think of us thinking of her!

Awesome...what's my word. i should make you give it to me before I tell you my topic so you can't go and think of the LEAST likely word for me to be able to use!

Seriously, on the story part...the family joke is that I make up my history. i swear I don't. I guess I just remember things a bit more embellsihed than everyone else! I can't help it if my memory is more minutely detailed!

My topic is on 3Nephi...dang, I can't remember the chapter. It's when they hear the voice of the Lord after all the destruction. verses 1-11. Verse 3, I think it is, is one of my favorite ones. Weird reason...an ex-boyfriend gave it to me all written out nice in a card and told me that it was how his love for me was-pierced his heart to the very center-or something like that. He and I are still best friends to this day. Weird reason to like a verse, huh? Sort of glad I lost the seminary scriptures that had "Scotty's love for me" all cute written around that verse...

Anyhow, basically my topic is "Gaining a Personal Witness." Pretty easy one. I'm hoping to incorporate Keira and her little Testimony into it, but that's only if she's in a cooperative mood!

Dang, girls...you didn't get me my word! Oh well. My talk went well. We went to Phantom of the Opera last night so my parents kept the girls overnight and brought them to our Ward this morning. At 8 we got a call from the 1st counselor in the Bishopric wanting to know if we could be at church early enough to sit down and chat with him. We hadn't showered yet and needed to be there at 8:30 (that's what we get for having no girls to get ready for church!). So anyhow, we hightailed it there and guess who got a new calling...yeah. Me. I'm now the Education Counselor in the RS. I find it ironic because I have told them that while I will not flat out refuse any calling, I would have an extremely hard time staying willing and active if I was extended a regular teaching calling of any kind. So what do they do? Ask me to teach the teachers. Nice. Anyhow, it actually was handy because the anxiety over that sort of overshadowed the anxiety I had over my talk, so I forgot to be freaked out! I it almost TWENTY minutes, ladies! That's seriously a record for me. And had I been wanting to, I could have spoken for longer! So yeah, that went well.

How's everyone else's weekend been? Heather, I want to hear about the weekend at the cabin?

Yay Tif on the good talk!!

I was actually thinking of you today during sacrament

Tiff I'm so glad that your talk went well! Congrats on your new calling!
    We went to church today and wow it was bare, considering its labor day weekend everyone was gone. We started YW's about 10 mins late and there were only 3 girls and only 4 leaders. Then half way through 2 more girls showed up. Wow thats the smallest its ever been. Everyone is gone camping considering its the last big weekend before fall and winter.

Hey Tif I'm so glad it went well! Sorry I didn't get you THE WORD We left town Friday and just got back Sunday evening.

Our cabin stay was really nice! I'll probably put some pics up on my blog today or tomorrow. The kids took a bath in the jacuzzi and they HATED it except for Lucy. She really liked the mirrors behind the jacuzzi so she could look at herself naked. Several of my family members came, but of course my dad was a no-show, as was my great-aunt and great-grandmother, but she's 93 so I guess I can't be too upset with her. Saturday we went swimming and then Saturday night David and I got to go out on a Real Date (Barnes & Noble and Indian food! there were no movies we wanted to see ). Sunday we went to our old ward. It was so nice. Sunday School actually felt like it had been "Dumbed down" -- no one was trying to have deep, philosophical discussions. It was just the plain, simple, beautiful doctrines! We're happy we get to move back there.

What is everyone doing today? We have to find a supermarket open... and then we MIGHT go swimming. But honestly I ate way too much junk in the past 3 days (hey, it was my birthday party!) so I don't feel like pouring myself into my suit too much.

Glad you had a good time at the cabin! And how cute about Lucy and the mirrors! Keira loves mirrors. I think she'd live in a dance studio if she could! Both my girls love my parents' jacuzzi hot tub, but when I've tried an indoor jacuzzi TUB (like bathtub) then they've both freaked about it!

We're not really doing anything special for Labor Day. We usually go and have a picnic up at the falls with my parents and grandparents. This year, though, my parents are off on a day trip and my grandparents aren't doing too hot and aren't up to a picnic. It's really weird having John be off an not having us packing to go anywhere! He's off tomorrow, too, because he was supposed to have last Friday off but covered for someone else. Tomorrow I'll probably work a few hours while he gets some time to totally clean the house and then he'll pick the girls up from daycare and we'll go picnic at the park or something. I know it's weird to have the girls at daycare when he's home but A)he gets zero time to do anything HE wants otherwise and B)it keeps things consistent for them.

Well...they're awake now-slept in!!! Guess this day is getting going!

Ladies could you please keep my grandpa in your prayers. He's going in for back surgery this morning, and he can not take any type of pain meds because they make him REALLY sick. We are praying that he will not be in much pain after the surgery. Thank you all!

I'm sorry Brandi! That sounds terrible!

He did GREAT!! He woke up feeling wonderful, he said that he already feels better then he did before the surgery. He'll be home tomorrow morning and will not be doing much for 6-8 weeks, which is going to be soooo hard on him. He lives on a ranch. But I can not believe how wonderful he did!

Glad your grandpa is doing so well Brandi!

Okay, the idear of having a special word for talks is genius. I need to remember that one the next time we have to give talks.

Congrats on your new calling Tif! Let's get serious about planning a get together while I'm up visiting. It's time to meet you and your sweeties!

We had Ellie's blessing a few weeks ago and we've had family in town ever since. It's been super fun, and especially great to visit with my mom for so long, but it's nice to get back into my rut.

Here is Ellie all dressed up for her baby blessing.

And Caiden looking spiffy (and silly).