Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 61 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1894

Thread: LDS Moms

  1. #301

    Default

    In our current ward, they are pretty hardcore that no one lingers or chats after sacrament meeting. We even have a postlude hymn (which was new to me) that we sing right after the closing prayer - and during that hymn everyone who teaches in SS or primary or nursery gets up and goes to their classes to get ready, so that as soon as the rest of us come out of the chapel, we're immediately ready to start 2nd hour. It's CRAZY. Like, in our last ward, we'd take the kids potty, stop and say hello, how are you to a few people, shake hands, smile at people as we passed them in the halls.... Here? NEVER. When we do try to smile at people or say hello they seem annoyed and like they are in a mad dash to get to class!

    So now that I think about it, I guess if we had sacrament last, then maybe there'd be more socializing after? IDK.

    But... how do you keep from going late, EVERY week? That would drive me nutty. Like our sacrament meeting is supposed to end at 10:10 but it varies from 10:05 (rarely) to 10:30 sometimes (usually a High Priest talking ).

  2. #302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    But... how do you keep from going late, EVERY week? That would drive me nutty. Like our sacrament meeting is supposed to end at 10:10 but it varies from 10:05 (rarely) to 10:30 sometimes (usually a High Priest talking ).
    We always end at 12 on the dot....since I've been going it's only ever gone over maybe 5 minutes. And we usually have 3 or 4 speakers (usually one Youth) with an itermediate hymn

    I guess one reason I hate it is that I have NO clue where Nursery is or where the SS rooms are and since I've been shy at talking to anyone it's weird to ask when people aren't on their way there themselves. I know I'm a total dork
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09


    http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

  3. #303

    Default

    Okay Ladies I want your opinions!!!

    Dh and I were reading the word of wisdom again last night and I want to see what you get from this verse

    Here the link for the whole section but I'm referring below to just one
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89

    D&C 89: 17

    17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

    DH believes that mild drinks, along with Barley and other grain could be interpreted (sp?) to mean that beer is okay. Since beer is mild and made from barley and other grains

    What do you think they mean be "mild drinks"?
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09


    http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity
    Posts
    30,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvandAl View Post
    Okay Ladies I want your opinions!!!

    Dh and I were reading the word of wisdom again last night and I want to see what you get from this verse

    Here the link for the whole section but I'm referring below to just one
    http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89

    D&C 89: 17

    17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

    DH believes that mild drinks, along with Barley and other grain could be interpreted (sp?) to mean that beer is okay. Since beer is mild and made from barley and other grains

    What do you think they mean be "mild drinks"?
    Postum. Cafix, those sorts of things. Beer, while mild in the alcohol world, is still considered a "strong" drink because it does contain alcohol, and it does cause intoxification, ya know?

    do you get the Ensign? There's a great article surrounding the WoW in there right now. John wants to make sure my grandpa reads it. John takes a lot of issue with the Atkins' diet for many reasons. Mainly he feels it directly goes against the WoW-where we're told to have our diets mainly consist of grains and to eat meat sparingly, in winter and in times of famine.

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter



  5. #305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tif View Post
    John takes a lot of issue with the Atkins' diet for many reasons. Mainly he feels it directly goes against the WoW-where we're told to have our diets mainly consist of grains and to eat meat sparingly, in winter and in times of famine.
    Yeah, my FIL is on an Atkins type diet and he felt that it was breaking the WoW, but his is due to having a weightloss procedure done (he had the band procedure done).

    Yeah my DH goes off all the time about all of the overweight members and how they are breaking the WoW yet are still able to have recommends, etc...(not saying that eating too much is the only reason to be obese ) I told him that he is just trying to justify his WANT to drink. He hasn't had a drink in like 10 months and I think he is feeling the desire right now. I personally think it's funny that he's not drinking since he doesn't want to go to church and I've never "told" him that he can't, kwim?

    I told him that I think beer is a No, No because it's too easy to not know when to stop and get drunk which would just lead to making bad choices.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09


    http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

  6. #306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tif View Post
    do you get the Ensign? There's a great article surrounding the WoW in there right now.
    Thanks for the heads up, I keep forgetting to order the mag again, I'm printing the article now :batman:
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09


    http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,080

    Default

    So, yesterday was my first day at church as a mommy of TWO! And it went awesome. :celebrate: Caiden did great during sacrament and Eleanor snoozed. I did miss the passing of the sacrament because I was nursing E, but other than that, it was totally uneventful. Caiden did swell in nursery until the very end. They sang, "When Daddy Comes Home" and he started crying and wanted daddy. Since Adam has been so busy with school the past six months Caiden has really been missing him a lot. I had to nurse E a couple more times and met some neat moms since there are so many babies in our ward. One told me that there are currently 13 pregnant women in our ward.

    It was really nice to go to church again. We hadn't been in a long time... just went a handful of times during my entire pregnancy. In hindsight, and after talking to my mom and Adam, I think I may have had a bit of pregnancy-related depression. I had no motivation, patience, energy, etc. and because of that I really lost all interest in church, among other things. Now I feel like myself again and didn't realize how 'off' I was until now when I can tell the difference. So now I'll post to this thread again because I don't feel so guilty. ;)

    I got Eleanor's dress for her blessing in the mail a few days ago. It's so beautiful! I really hope she isn't too big for it when it comes time for her blessing in a month. She's already chubbing up and growing too fast.

    Here's a link to her dress: http://www.babybeauandbelle.com/Broo...tte-p/br02.htm

  8. #308

    Default

    Aww, Holly, that dress is beautiful. I'm so glad that church went good for you. I'm terrified of church with two. Benson is such a handful. I'm so glad you are feeling better. I know that depression is starting with this pregnancy. I just don't know what to do about it because there is no way I am taking anti-depressants while pregnant.

    Yesterday was our first week in our new ward, but I didn't end up going because my m/s was too bad. DH took Benson and he said that he did really good in nursery. DH really wants me to go so that I can make some friends here. I really depended on my friends where we were living before. We did things together 2-3 times a week. He knows I need friends here and the only way I'm going to find any is by going to church because I don't even leave the house now because I'm so sick. So next week I just need to try to go. I just feel like crap and don't really want to try to do anything


    Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

  9. #309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvandAl View Post
    D&C 89: 17

    17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

    DH believes that mild drinks, along with Barley and other grain could be interpreted (sp?) to mean that beer is okay. Since beer is mild and made from barley and other grains

    What do you think they mean be "mild drinks"?
    The Word of Wisdom has been explained more fully since it was originally written, and I'm pretty sure your DH knows this ;) and is just trying to rationalize something he knows is wrong. (I do it with things too) Other prophets have explained that 'hot drinks' meant coffee (like you might say 'well iced coffee is okay then' ) and strong drinks is alcohol - all alcohol.

    I've actually met some members who think the WOW is telling us to eat lots of meat! Yeah... crazy. They take these two verses:
    12 Yea, aflesh also of bbeasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used csparingly; 13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be aused, only in times of winter, or of cold, or bfamine.

    Like they say "see, it says they should 'not be used only in times of winter or of cold or of famine,' so we should use meat ALL the time." But, I think it's pretty clear (especially with verse 12) what is intended.

    As far as Atkins - I think it's hardcore, and I think we're supposed to be moderate in all things. I think something like South Beach is more WOW-friendly because you are allowed some fruits and lots of vegetables, and there are vegetarian options that still are SB-approved. Also the grains you are supposed to eat are whole, unprocessed, like the ones we're told to eat in the WOW.




    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJo View Post
    It was really nice to go to church again. We hadn't been in a long time... just went a handful of times during my entire pregnancy. In hindsight, and after talking to my mom and Adam, I think I may have had a bit of pregnancy-related depression. I had no motivation, patience, energy, etc. and because of that I really lost all interest in church, among other things. Now I feel like myself again and didn't realize how 'off' I was until now when I can tell the difference. So now I'll post to this thread again because I don't feel so guilty. ;)
    Great dress, Holly! And I'm glad you made it to church! I remember spending so much time in the mother's room with Penny that I wondered why I came to church at all. And we only had 2 chairs in there and there would be 2 or 3 other moms standing up nursing, or trying to sit on the counter, it was ridiculous. I finally just started staying in the RS room to nurse and just covering up. We have lots of babies or soon-to-be babies here too. It's nice when everyone expects there to be a lot of noise during sacrament meeting.
    That story about Caiden was pretty sad though. How much longer does Adam have to live this vida loca???

    Quote Originally Posted by katrina131h View Post

    Yesterday was our first week in our new ward, but I didn't end up going because my m/s was too bad. DH took Benson and he said that he did really good in nursery. DH really wants me to go so that I can make some friends here. I really depended on my friends where we were living before. We did things together 2-3 times a week. He knows I need friends here and the only way I'm going to find any is by going to church because I don't even leave the house now because I'm so sick. So next week I just need to try to go. I just feel like crap and don't really want to try to do anything
    I hope your m/s gets better & you're able to go! Do they have a weekly play group? If so that might be a better time for you (later in the day? of course...m/s was always around the clock for me) or less stress than having to get dressed up and talk to LOTS of people at once.


    Well we went to church, of course. We almost always go. I guess we're hardcore Mormon or something. Actually we had an interesting experience that kind of made us angry. We normally have 2 Gospel Doctrine classes - without being a real rule, it just ends up that one class is the younger couples (like student families) and the other is the older people (professors & other faculty who live here all the time - older kids or their kids are all grown up & moved away). It works out well because the 'old' class is usually really philosophical and gets WAY off track and we just don't dig it.
    But now for the rest of the summer, we're combined. Well yesterday, the guy who normally teaches the 'young' class was teaching, it was on being truly converted. One of the old ladies started off on this tirade about missionaries - I mean you could just hear the bitterness & anger in her voice! And the lesson wasn't even about missionaries at all. She just had all these mean things to say. Part of it was like, "Well there are two churches - one for missionaries and one for the rest of us. They have their own rules and their own consequences for breaking those rules. I bet if any one of us called up the mission president and said, 'I saw one of your elders doing so-and-so' we'd be told, 'Sister that is not your concern, it is ours, and don't call us again!' (which made me wonder has she done this???) And missionaries only care about baptisms - they don't care if a member stays active, they only care about dunking them--" At this point the teacher interrupted her and said he didn't agree with that, and she said, "Oh it's true, we've sent five out and it's true!" and then went on for a bit more about the horribleness of missionaries.

    Well... as you all know I'm a convert and I am MARRIED to the missionary who taught me ;) so obviously he cared about my activity and I was dying to say something, but the teacher said, "I'm just going to blow you off because that's not at all what we're talking about today, and I feel like if we pursue that topic any further, we're just going to have some hurt feelings, ok? So I'm just going to move on now," he wasn't rude but he was very direct.

    David home teaches this guy & his family so after church they were talking and David said, "Oh by the way Heather and I thought you handled that really well, Heather was going to flip out on her so it's good you said something." And the teacher said, "I'm glad you said that to me, because Brother ___ (one of the 'old' men in the ward) said to me that because of my comment to her, I was probably going to make her go inactive."

    There's such a divide in our ward. It's crazy.

    Anyway I'm glad I got that off my chest. That's my interesting little Sunday story.

  10. #310

    Default

    Wow, so much on going around here.

    Heather, that is crazy about your GD teacher. Nobody can make someone go inactive, if you harbour ill feelings toward someone for something they said to you then it is your own fault. That older sister should have stepped off her soap box and let the teacher teach. GD teacher is one calling I would never want! It scares me just thinking about it. LOL!

    And the blessing dress is darling!

    Well, since we live close to the Twin Falls temple we are taking our ward youth there on Friday for the open house, and then going camping Friday night. They don't have enough leaders who can go so my DH volunteered me to help out. LOL Actually I am excited to go, my 2 oldest DDs are going, so it should be fun. We have about 50 youth going.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity
    Posts
    30,601

    Default

    Holly, I love that blessing dress! It's adorable!

    GD teachers...they're quite a different breed (hope noone in here is one!). Not always in a bad way...but yeah. Ours is quite the teacher herself. But better than when her husband was the teacher!

    We didn't go this week. We were at a family reunion in eastern Washington and needed to head back. Plus Scharae's got bronchitis and I was catching a nasty summer cold and just wanted to get home.

    We did, however, have our first real FHE tonight! We've done it a few other nights, but not very formal, and not very organized. Last night I got Keira to help me pick out a treat to make and John planned a lesson. After dinner he talked about Jesus and his sacrifice and coming to the Americas (Keira now knows that Oregon and Washington are in "Ameereeca") and then he showed the Living Scriptures (yes, we're THOSE suckers that bought them!) video about Christ coming to America. It was a little too long for the girls-Scharae ended it by peeing in her chair Then we enjoyed our treat and put the girls to bed. It was nice. And now I'm off to take some nyquil and get some sleep!

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter



  12. #312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    Well, since we live close to the Twin Falls temple we are taking our ward youth there on Friday for the open house, and then going camping Friday night. They don't have enough leaders who can go so my DH volunteered me to help out. LOL Actually I am excited to go, my 2 oldest DDs are going, so it should be fun. We have about 50 youth going.
    Man, my mom really wants to go and I want to go too...but all the weekend tickets are gone! It would be a fun little trip for us because I was trying to talk her into going to Rexburg too. I haven't seen that temple yet!

    Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May
    .

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosh34 View Post
    Man, my mom really wants to go and I want to go too...but all the weekend tickets are gone! It would be a fun little trip for us because I was trying to talk her into going to Rexburg too. I haven't seen that temple yet!
    All the weekend tickets are gone? I'm only a couple hours from there and we were going to go with my DH's cousin's family but I guess we wont now. My husband works during the week and we were hoping for a saturday.

    Holly that blessing dress is beautiful!!

    Katrina I'm sorry that your having morning sickness I'm right there with ya. I did not make it to church on sunday either because I was soooo sick.



  14. #314

    Default

    Don't worry about the tickets, they have a standby line that you can wait in if you don't have tickets. I have heard that they never turn anyone away, if you go they will get you in. I would try to go anyway.

    I'll take pictures (of the outside) and try to post them when we get back. I'm looking forward to it!

  15. #315

    Default

    Yep, don't worry about tickets. The tickets are more for crowd control. They try to even out when people come. At the Rexburg open house they didn't even ask you for tickets. You came, waited in the chapel, and then went through. Don't worry about not having tickets. They will NOT turn you down.


    Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,860

    Default

    Thats good to know I guess we will try and go. The last temple open house I went to was Bountiful, that was a long time ago. My best friend also lives up that way and we are hoping to catch up with them so I guess even if we dont get in it wont be a waste of time.



  17. #317

    Default

    Interesting thing about temple open houses. I dated a guy in high school - long before I converted or even know what LDS meant ;) - and we broke up in like 1996 I think. The next summer, the St. Louis temple had their open house. I was investigating the church at that time but didn't go, it was kind of far. Anyway a few years ago I got back in touch with this h.s. ex boyfriend and he mentioned "OH I've been to one of your temples," and then told me how he drove seven hours to attend the open house, just out of curiosity! Weird. So now I think he's meant to convert too of course. ;)

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity
    Posts
    30,601

    Default

    The only temple open house I've ever "been to" was the Nauvoo one when I was at Ricks. Oh wait, that was actually the dedication. So I guess I've never been to an open house! Darn!

    Tonight we only have Scharae. Keira is staying over at Nana and Papa's. The Friend came in the mail yesterday and Scharae has been sitting next to me on the sofa "reading" it for the last 20 minutes! She's so intent on it, paying attention to every detail, getting my attention to tell me about the stories in it, etc!

    Her and Keira have become my little proselyters! Keira carries a triple combo around (one of the cheapie ones, real basic) and Scharae carries John's little red service-sized NT around! They sit in the car reading them forever! Keira tells everyone it's her "book from Jesus" which is how she says "about"! It's so cute!

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter



  19. #319

    Default

    That is cute, Tif.

    Unfortunately here, Lucy has already adopted the habit of using old stand-by primary answers for EVERYTHING. "How do you know the scriptures are true Lucy?"

    She says,
    "Because Jesus Christ and the prophets and the book of mormon!"

    It's like when we taught teenage sunday school, they'd always say "read your scriptures! pray! keep the commandments!" no matter what the question was!

  20. #320

    Default

    So ladies... do you think we're weird or what?

    I'm just starting to feel like we can't honestly take part in other aspects of this Christian forum because of what we know to be true flying in the face of what other churches teach.

    Maybe I'm in a bad mood or something. Maybe I have been living in a safe little Mormon bubble (basically all my friends IRL are LDS) and I forget that even though we are Christian, we are not all that much like other Christians?

    Or ARE we like them, and I'm just in a funk and focusing on the differences?

  21. #321
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity
    Posts
    30,601

    Default

    You're just funky

    Seriously, though, I was just thinking about this. Things like the baptism thread, being saved, etc etc...it's hard to join in on some of those discussions because our beliefs are so different, and yet to us they don't seem that way.

    I used to go to a Reformed Christian church. I got really tight with the assistant pastor and his wife there. They were rad people. Came to the Temple and waited outside when John and I got married, came to our reception and all that. Anyhow, he was always on me about writing a sermon for him. I took part in a bible study group that was called "Post High" for the kids out of HS but still attending the congregation. At 22 I was the oldest one there. But the "youngest" as far as they were concerned in regards to christianity. I wasn't shy about my beliefs. Even though I wasn't attending the LDS church I still believed everything...I just was looking to partake of other things and find a way to make that ok (like maybe changing churches to one that would "allow" me to drink ) Every time one of the kids brought up faith/works...boy did I lead some pretty heated discussions! Andy (the pastor) sided with me. He wanted me to write him a sermon on how faith without works was dead and how we could not be truly saved simply by saying "I believe" and then never showing that. The problem he had was that it went so solidly against his seminary teachings. The congregation was mostly made up (in terms of who funded the church!) of staunch old Dutch people. Straight from the Old World. So for him to get up there and start preaching "his own" ideas on it, basically telling them that sitting back and giving money, but then not turning around and being kind and welcoming to others, wasn't enough-to do that would get him kicked out. But if he had a sermon that he could say he "came across" or worked up "with some collaboration of a congregation member" then it would have to be accepted. I wrote him the sermon. But he never got to preach it because I would never denounce the LDS church and my family as far as their salvation and my previous baptism so I never became a congregation member.

    Don't know why I shared that. I guess just because to me faith/works is such a small concept. But it's obviously a lot larger than that "out there". Just like different points on salvation, baptism, etc. I really can understand how the larger Christian world can view us as non-Christians. Simply because it no longer is a word that's taken literally. It's got so much that goes along with it, and we really don't fall into that category based on the current meaning!

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter



  22. #322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    It's like when we taught teenage sunday school, they'd always say "read your scriptures! pray! keep the commandments!" no matter what the question was!
    You've got it all wrong, it's "read your scriptures, fast and pray, go to church, and don't be gay." (I hope that won't offend anybody. Those were our Sunday School/Seminary answers )

    I know what you mean Heather, I feel the same way a lot of the time. There are a lot of threads that I would like to participate in, but I feel like I see it so different that it wouldn't really follow the thread topic.

    At the same time I've been LDS my entire life. Grew up in a town that was over 50% LDS and now live in a town that is 80% LDS. I haven't had much experience with other Christian religions and their beliefs. So I don't feel comfortable sharing because I don't know how my beliefs differ from others. I'm worried that I might share something and everyone else will be wondering what the heck I'm talking about because it is something I know from my specific religion that most other Christian religions don't hold as a truth. I don't know if any of that made sense. I'm just trying to sort through my jumbled pregnancy head.


    Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

  23. #323

    Default

    Dear Lush Tif and Jumble-Head
    Thanks for your replies. I think you both understood what I meant.
    And I think I know what you mean Tif, about being Christian in America is so much more than just believing in Christ and the simplicity of Christianity. DH and I were just talking about how there is a whole Born Again sub-culture. It's very interesting. We're NOT that, we're not them. But at the same time, I don't think we're all that different. It's hard to figure it all out.

    I used to belong to a general baptist church. Not because I think GB's have the truth but b/c I started going with a friend at about 12 yrs old to the youth group, had a connection with the youth minister (but looking back, sometimes it was totally inappropriate and I think in our church he'd have been in serious trouble - nothing like THAT but you know, not appropriate), and so on and I loved those people and there was a lot of goodness and truth. And it does make me sad to know that if they knew I was Mormon now, most of them would think I was going to hell.

    And here, if you say something that is from the BofM or latter day prophecy, it will be argued because it's not in "The Word" and at worst, it's not been re-written into simplified English.

    I'm ranting again. Sorry. I should say my prayers and not be gay!
    Lucy's rolling her eyes at David now. I better step in. Now SHE'S in a funk!

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,860

    Default

    I only come into the Christian section so what the LDS moms are up to. I dont feel like that I can jump into some of the other topics because I feel like it would get to heated and then I'd have to turn to my husband lol. He's such a smarty pants. We are Christian but its different if that makes any sense at all.



  25. #325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    We are Christian but its different if that makes any sense at all.
    It does make sense. I'm starting to feel that, if you don't ascribe to a very narrow definition of Christianity, then in some APA members' opinions, you are not one of them. And your opinions are overlooked, sometimes glaringly (where if an LDS person and a few others have replied to a question, they will by name thank everyone except the LDS member).

    I think I'll just stick with you ladies.

  26. #326
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,860

    Default

    Me too!!

    So I got tickets for the Twin Falls temple. I guess we are going on a tuesday, boy am I not thrilled. My DH will have to take time off work and we are really short on money since I'm not working. But we will be seeing DH's cousin and his grandma, we havent seen his grandma since March and his cousin since before we got married. Infact since before we got engaged.



  27. #327

    Default

    Brandi I hope you have a great time!

  28. #328
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,860

    Default

    Thanks me too! I'm not looking forward to the drive and the heat. But hey by then we will know if we are having a boy or girl!!!



  29. #329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    The Word of Wisdom has been explained more fully since it was originally written, and I'm pretty sure your DH knows this ;) and is just trying to rationalize something he knows is wrong. (I do it with things too) Other prophets have explained that 'hot drinks' meant coffee (like you might say 'well iced coffee is okay then' ) and strong drinks is alcohol - all alcohol.

    Can anyone give me some specifics on this

    DH and I were able to find where Joseph Smith said "tea and coffee" and that Brigham Young said that it is a covenant (that was another arguement of my DH's) but so far I haven't been able to find someone from the first presidency saying all alcohol is what the WoW means.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09


    http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

  30. #330

    Default

    In the Word of Wisdom, the Lord revealed that the following substances are harmful:
    • Alcoholic drinks (see D&C 89:5–7).
    • Tobacco (see D&C 89:8).
    • Tea and coffee (see D&C 89:9; latter-day prophets have taught that the term "hot drinks," as written in this verse, refers to tea and coffee).
    When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom. Illegal drugs can especially destroy those who use them. The abuse of prescription drugs is also destructive spiritually and physically.

    (that is from the chuch publication "True to the Faith")

    Also I found this:

    First Presidency Supports Ban on U.S. Alcohol Advertising


    “First Presidency Supports Ban on U.S. Alcohol Advertising,” Ensign, Apr. 1985, 77
    The First Presidency recently submitted a statement for a hearing of the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse which supports banning or severely limiting media advertising of alcoholic beverages.
    The statement reads:
    “Many authorities, including the U.S. Public Health Service and the Secretary of Health and Human Services in their most recent reports to the Congress, have recognized that alcohol is the most widely used and abused drug in America. It is ironic that there are restrictions on advertising and marketing of most drugs but none to discourage consumption of alcohol, where in excess of $1 billion is spent annually on advertising heavily directed at youth.
    “Since the alcohol and advertising industries have not been able to institute adequate self-regulation, many citizens and organizations are now proposing restrictions on alcohol advertising.
    “Our youth, America’s greatest national asset, are the hope and future of this great country. They deserve our best efforts to protect them from drug abuse. Existing scientific evidence of the far-reaching harmful effects of alcohol abuse requires that the public interest be protected by measures to restrict the excessive advertising of this tragically abused drug.
    “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints joins with others calling for a ban or stringent curtailment of alcohol advertising on all media.”



    I think it's apparent that if they are against alcohol advertising, they are against alcohol consumption by members.



    It kind of sounds like he's just trying to rationalize it though. His best bet, which he probably won't do, would be to talk to the bishop about it. Ask him. And ask if he can have a temple recommend and be considered worthy to enter there if he is drinking alcoholic beverages of any kind. I'm pretty sure we all know the answer. I don't think we need to have everything spelled out for us (like some people won't take Nyquil but others see nothing wrong with it) - it's the spirit of it, WHY you are doing it, and how you feel about yourself when you do it. (I personally feel fine about myself if I need to take Nyquil ).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •